fiduciary

Author Topic: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion  (Read 96710 times)

Offline Sligs78

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2019, 01:18:55 AM »
I got two more problems.

After I turn the menu volume down in the General tab on RICE, once I go to the soundfont selection menu, the menu volume goes back up. I notice that when I go to the soundfont selection menu while connected with the USB, the board disconnects with my computer; so maybe it has something to do with that.

The Pixel Blade FX "Fire Leg." always messes up on blade profile #3 for some reason. I think there were other ones. It shows up as a regular blade, but with flickering at the base of the blade.

Edit: I just had to mess with the Cooling Low and Cooling High settings for the flames to show up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:27:56 PM by Sligs78 »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2019, 02:25:44 AM »
Hey @erv  !  I'm looking at the CFX Manual reading about the capabilities of the Accent LED Pads.
     "Special Accent LEDs #2 and #5 to #8
...which suggest to me that Accent Pads 6, and 7 are NOT PWM capable.

#5 to #8 indicates a range, hence 5, 6, 7 and 8. All pads are now individualized, they just don't all have PWM capabilities.

For a Tri-Cree, would it be possible to piggyback Crystal Chamber LEDs (0804's, or a 3mm/5mm RGB) off of the main LED pads?
yes, you can still do this, wire them in parallel with the HB leds, with appropriate resistors. However, I'd rather suggest to use the PWM pads of each channels, which could also be less work

regarding the cool down emitter, I have to see how make that configurable in the accent sequencer. The coding of the effect per say is trivial (just a ramp), but I'd rather have it blended in config with the sequencer rather than proposing it as a "patch"

When you say items are fixed, are you just updating the code in the default package posted on the plecter site or is there a new firmware posted somewhere?

fixed in the fw I'm working on, soon to be delivered.

I'm having trouble using RICE with the new CFX module. Windows 10 always detects it as a USB device (not a usable one, but still a USB device) and only wants to install drivers of that type. I can't figure out how to install as a COM device so that RICE can detect the board. The section in the manual said Windows 10 should have all the necessary drivers. Is there an intermediary step I'm missing? Thanks for any assistance! The board is beyond awesome but I'm wearing out the SD card springs every time I remove it and reinsert after playing with blade styles.  :cheesy:

make sure you use a full USB cable, not a charging one. Check in the system => device list how your USB peripheral is detected and what is missing. Eventually install the adafruit drivers as suggested in the manual (as a fix for windows 7 users). Aside of this, I don't know, win 10 should indeed recognize the board COM port.

I got two more problems.

After I turn the menu volume down in the General tab on RICE, once I go to the soundfont selection menu, the menu volume goes back up. I notice that when I go to the soundfont selection menu while connected with the USB, the board disconnects with my computer; so maybe it has something to do with that.

There is a specific setting for the vocal menu volume. beep parameter also separately controls the UI sounds.
When you go in the vocal menu, the board reboots, and USB disconnects (that is normal)

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
#5 to #8 indicates a range, hence 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Oh geez!  Well, English is apparently my second language and DUH! is my native tongue.  I'll have to zoom in and slow down my reading next time.  Though I may have been reading it with a French accent which would explain how I read "to" (through) as "too" (also), because "to" with an accent becomes "tooooo".  Mais oui, non!? ;) HA!  Too funny!

All pads are now individualized, they just don't all have PWM capabilities.

O.K. So, which out of Accent Pads 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are PWM Capable?

Is it that we can only address so many as PWM, or is it that only certain pads are addressable as PWM.

And does using the Channel PWM Pads negate any of the Accent Pads from being PWM Capable?

regarding the cool down emitter, I have to see how make that configurable in the accent sequencer.

Get ready for a Bromance buddy, if you can do this... Je T'aime!  I've found several tutorials online that show different ways to make LEDs pulse without "delay" and some that use PWM, but I haven't figured out how to modify them to make the effect work the way I imagine it.  I know it can be done, I just don't have any mastery of C++ yet.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for how to accomplish my idea!

The Firean Effect is on the To-Do List!  SUPER EXCITED!!!!!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »
O.K. So, which out of Accent Pads 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are PWM Capable?

Like I said / wrote : #2 and #5 to #8

And does using the Channel PWM Pads negate any of the Accent Pads from being PWM Capable?

no, they are independent pads (different from CF9 hardware)

Offline JediJesseS

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »
make sure you use a full USB cable, not a charging one. Check in the system => device list how your USB peripheral is detected and what is missing. Eventually install the adafruit drivers as suggested in the manual (as a fix for windows 7 users). Aside of this, I don't know, win 10 should indeed recognize the board COM port.

Thanks for the response, I'll try several different cables.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2019, 10:53:02 PM »
The Firean Effect is on the To-Do List!  SUPER EXCITED!!!!!

actually, working in the train this morning on my way to work, I found a proper way to do this with the accent sequencer and #makeItReal
more on this once implemented

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!   GREAT NEWS!  What a treat to wake up to this morning!

And thank you for the PWM Pad info, it's locked into memory now!

With 3 pads available for PWM, I wonder if it would be better to run RGB, or stick with a White, a Yellow, and a Red LED?

I've also been thinking, can we play a sound during cool down too?

I have some neat foley ideas for that if we can!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
With 3 pads available for PWM, I wonder if it would be better to run RGB, or stick with a White, a Yellow, and a Red LED?

not sure what / if you are mis-reading but there are 5 PWM-capable pins (accents), not 3. As for colors, it's up to your taste, a color channel can be mirrored by several accents.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
URGH!  I did it AGAIN!  I keep skipping the "to".  My apologies, I'm just REALLY excited you're working on this!

With 5, yes FIVE PWM Accent Pads, <--- see I GOT IT NOW! ;)  We could choose however many we like to be The Firean Effect, and have one or two left over for yet another effect!

Hmm, what to light up next?!  Off to find a space for another LED somewhere!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
started coding 2 variants of the accent effect with new attributes. Fixed many details today, will finish this tomorrow morning.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
implemented 2 cool down effects in the accent sequencer, one uses the actual temperature against the "hot" temperature threshold from the config. Since the sensor provides only 1°C resolution, you won't see any smooth, continuous decay over the PWM (10 bit resolution, 1024 value) but I tested and you gets gradual steps as the saber internals *actually* cool down. Blowing or heating the board (with your hands or heatgun) produce the effect in real time.

Second method fakes the cool down as described / requested above : I use the accent pulse period and apply it to the decay of the accent.

Both attributes are available for all sequences, ie. power on, power off, blade on, idle or lockup. I played with it with the idle sequence since it's most "logical" (after power off).

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
one uses the actual temperature against the "hot" temperature threshold from the config.

Hey @erv  !  That's so crazy!  I wouldn't have thought of that!

Second method fakes the cool down as described / requested above : I use the accent pulse period and apply it to the decay of the accent.

I can't wait to try it!  Off to order new parts!  Thank you so much for doing this!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »
I can't wait to try it!  Off to order new parts!  Thank you so much for doing this!

You're welcome !
video posted on my page in the comments, if you want to see it in action

Offline JediJesseS

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
No luck with any different cables, and I'm sure they are cables with full data transfer capabilities as they work with other devices. The error appearing is that the device descriptor request failed. The usbser driver is supposed to load automatically if the class code and subclass code are 02, but the device doesn't seem to be providing that information (or is isn't being read correctly). The usbser drives are present and installed. I just have a standard Windows 10 Pro install and I am in IT for a living, I can usually work my way with any issue. But this one I don't know where to go from here. Any other suggestions?

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2019, 03:11:50 AM »
just to be sure, do you have a way to test it on a mac or another computer ? aside this, eventually inspect the USB connector solder joint in case one is weak or the connector bent.
From your provided pic (thank you) the PID and VID are incorrect like if it can't read / enumerate properly.
Please share macro pictures of your board so that I look at the MCU and USB connector

retrousse