fiduciary

Author Topic: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion  (Read 96649 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
I don't think the shifted delay was properly finished (even on prizm) to be honest. But the trident timelines are on my list to be totally redone and better aligned with the poweron timeline.
To be sure though, do you have the right number of pixel set for tridentstrip ?

[edit]: to be accurate, shifted delay *works* with HB leds but isn't fully compliant with ledstrip mode
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:33:02 AM by erv »

Offline Atapoti

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
I can confirm that I have the tridentstrip set to the correct number. Simple delay works to light up all the neopixels correctly as long as their is >100ms separation between qon and tridenton.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »
I've noticed a slightly odd difference between in-hilt LED and Neopixel CFX installs:

On all my in-hilt LED installs when igniting the saber if you move the saber during the ignition sound there are no smooth swings until the ignition sound has completed - at which point the smooth swings start mixing in - this can be start quite abruptly if I'm moving the saber as the ignition sound completes. I thought this might be set by the poi setting, but setting that to 1 or 0 makes no difference (and I don't think it should do as I assume this is related to interrupting the ignition for effects like clash or accent/normal swings, or is perhaps for monophonic fonts only).

With the Neopixel installs the smooth swings are mixed with the ignition sounds leading to a much more natural and realistic effect.

The behaviour is consistent whether the fonts are monophonic or polyphonic.

Is this deliberate, or is there a setting I'm missing?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:52:49 AM by MikeyX »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »
I checked the code and the smoothswing engine is started after leaving the power on ramp, and same way for HB or ledstrip modes... however (!) since the power on ramp is controlled by quick on and most of the time this value is made shorter than the power on sound in ledstrip mode (to make scrolling looking more accurate and natural) I think that's the reason why you feel it's more natural on the ledstrip install, since the ramp is shorter.
I coded it this way since, even though the multi track playback works and is enabled in both poly and monophonic mode, the hum (file) is still not played during the power on, so I start smoothswing afterwards.
I have to see how it sounds when it is started immediately

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2019, 03:22:58 AM »
@MickeyX : I've enabled smoothswing from the power on state if power on interrupt (poi) is enabled. That preserves the "protected" power on during which nothing else can occur. With poi on, you can have smoothswing feeling from the start

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2019, 06:31:38 AM »
Thanks Erv - you’re absolutely spot on in that qon is short on the NP installs and that is the difference. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

Thanks for the change - that sounds like a great compromise.

Did you have a chance to look into the latching switch issue I’m having?

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »
Thanks Erv - you’re absolutely spot on in that qon is short on the NP installs and that is the difference. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

NP, just by looking at the code, there was no ledstrip-specifics there, so I wondered (just like you)

Thanks for the change - that sounds like a great compromise.

seconded, and a lot of people asked for interrupting the power on sound to be quicker in action, so that's going in the right direction for this. Thanks *you* for spotting the issue and asking for a fix

Did you have a chance to look into the latching switch issue I’m having?

I'm actually working on it *now*. Found some of the issue, there's a minor fumble with momentary vs latching vs double click vs debounce in the switch class, but it's easy to fix and rewrite slightly.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
[addon]: latching switch support fixed and spectrum menu access with aux+act disabled in latching mode (you can still choose between aux+twist => profile +/- 1 or aux+twist => spectrum)

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
[addon]: latching switch support fixed and spectrum menu access with aux+act disabled in latching mode (you can still choose between aux+twist => profile +/- 1 or aux+twist => spectrum)

Many thanks for fixing that Erv. Sounds great - can't wait to try it and stop cheating the system by treating the latching switch like a momentary  :grin:

Offline Sligs78

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
I got a few problems:

When using the "Mute power off" option on the General tab on the CFX R.I.C.E program, it keeps the saber muted after using the mute-on-the-go. I use mute-on-the-go when igniting the saber, turn off the saber with it still muted, then turn it on again without mute-on-the-go, but the saber stays muted until I reset the board itself or go change the font.

A couple folders in the default soundfont files say "poly+smoothswing version." Does the CFX automatically choose the smoothswing version, or do I have to manually delete the regular soundfonts and replace them with the ones in the smoothswing folder? If it chooses it automatically, how I get it to use the smoothswing version?

How do I up the volume even higher on the smoothswings? I turned up the volume on the smoothswings on the "gain" and "dampen" in R.I.C.E., but it doesn't have the same loudness as the Proffieboard to demonstrate the the new real-time smoothswing abilities.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:19:58 PM by Sligs78 »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
I got a few problems:

When using the "Mute power off" option on the General tab on the CFX R.I.C.E program, it keeps the saber muted after using the mute-on-the-go. I use mute-on-the-go when igniting the saber, turn off the saber with it still muted, then turn it on again without mute-on-the-go, but the saber stays muted until I reset the board itself or go change the font.

good point, I don't use that combo (mute off) very often, I'll fix that this morning.

A couple folders in the default soundfont files say "poly+smoothswing version." Does the CFX automatically choose the smoothswing version, or do I have to manually delete the regular soundfonts and replace them with the ones in the smoothswing folder? If it chooses it automatically, how I get it to use the smoothswing version?

replace or add the poly version in the font folder or create a new folder for those (properly numbered). Those are link's update fonts but as posted on FB, the hum is different enough to propose different versions but I didn't want any duplicates in the default package for now.
If I get a proper font BMP and descriptive font sound that differentiate it, I might add them in the font structure as variants.

How do I up the volume even higher on the smoothswings? I turned up the volume on the smoothswings on the "gain" and "dampen" in R.I.C.E., but it doesn't have the same loudness as the Proffieboard to demonstrate the the new real-time smoothswing abilities.

As posted I need to revisit slightly the audio output mixer to make that work / possible, I plan to do that once I get the pixel sequencer finished and published. Note also that some existing smoothswing fonts aren't optimized in terms of volume for the CFX and indeed sound low (hum pairs not normalized). For those, normalizing manually the pairs with an audio editor is an easy fix.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
fixed MOTG + muteoff combo, logic was there and flags were correctly reset, but the final unmute action was missing (sorry).

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Hey @erv  !  I'm looking at the CFX Manual reading about the capabilities of the Accent LED Pads.

On Page 72 it says...

"Accent LEDs role
     The new accent sequencer gives more flexibility on the use of each accent. Here are the various
     attributes each accent can have. To be noted that pulsing type of accents (self-pulsing, crystal
     pulsing, blade mirror, audio flicker limited to accents #2-5-6-7-8 since not all the HW pins can have
     PWM. You can still define non-PWM pins to those function but they will only blink like a digital
     ping when passing half of the PWM range (512)."

...which suggests to me that Accent Pads 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are PWM capable.

But then on Page 75 it says...

"Special Accent LEDs #2 and #5 to #8
     Not all accent LEDs can have extended roles such as blade mirroring or crystal pulsing: only accents
     #2 and #5 to #8 can use the roles involving PWM mirroring, pulsing or audio flicker. Setting another
     LED with that role can still partially work but the LED will be only turned on and off instead of
     behaving with continuous dimming."

...which suggest to me that Accent Pads 6, and 7 are NOT PWM capable.

I was hoping that the CFX would be able to handle my Cool Down Emitter Idea from 2017.
Crystal Focus Saber Core v8 "COOL DOWN EMITTER" ACCENT LEDS IDEA

I've been trying to learn C++ in order to create the coding necessary for implementing my C.D.E.I. aka 'The Firean Effect' on either the CFX or the Proffieboard. 

Both boards have their positives and negatives.  The positive to the Proffieboard v1.5 and v2.2 is that the code is Opensource.  The negative is that I need to learn the code, HA!  But moreso, that I can't have both an illumitated Crystal Chamber AND Bluetooth.  And I don't think I can have a Motor in it either. 

The positives to the CFX is that I can have Bluetooth, and a Motor, and an Illuminated Crystal Chamber, and MAYBE a Cool Down Emitter capable of The Firean Effect.  The negatives are that the code isn't Opensource, and even if it was... I still have to learn the code, HA!

Though I've started to understand the "longhand" coding in C++, the "shorthand"(nesting?, and abbreviations, i.e. ++, --, %*/, etc.) of the code in C++ and the use of styles and templates, etc., which is used predominantly in the ProffieOS is still wildly confusing to me.

Anywho, if you would please clarify for me which Accent LED Pads are PWM capable, if the pads are still grouped 1-4, and 5-8, or if they're all separately addressable now, I'd appreciate it.

For a Tri-Cree, would it be possible to piggyback Crystal Chamber LEDs (0804's, or a 3mm/5mm RGB) off of the main LED pads?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:37:23 AM by Ridire Fíréan »

Offline JediJesseS

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2019, 03:13:26 PM »
I'm having trouble using RICE with the new CFX module. Windows 10 always detects it as a USB device (not a usable one, but still a USB device) and only wants to install drivers of that type. I can't figure out how to install as a COM device so that RICE can detect the board. The section in the manual said Windows 10 should have all the necessary drivers. Is there an intermediary step I'm missing? Thanks for any assistance! The board is beyond awesome but I'm wearing out the SD card springs every time I remove it and reinsert after playing with blade styles.  :cheesy:

Offline pwrmac7600

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
fixed MOTG + muteoff combo, logic was there and flags were correctly reset, but the final unmute action was missing (sorry).

When you say items are fixed, are you just updating the code in the default package posted on the plecter site or is there a new firmware posted somewhere?

retrousse