fiduciary

Author Topic: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!  (Read 24632 times)

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
Re: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
Is there a more honorable way to die than trying to save your son? Sometimes it's the hardest fight...
I know that he was trying to do the right thing but that just doesn't seem like the OT han. Upon further review, (I saw it again today) It was a well written death story. Just doesn't feel like something old (young) han would do.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
And as a German I have to say, that the First Order General's speech to the assembled troops really tickled my vomit reflex. It's like JJ gave some footage with speeches of a certain dark character in Germany's history to the actor and told him: "do it like that". Down to the concrete buildings and banners the only thing missing is a short mustache... Purrleease, JJ - we all know George's analogy to the Third Reich, but does it have to be THAT obvious?!
All things said (well - not all, but enough  :wink:), I will definitely watch the movie again after I have digested my first disappointment. I felt similar after watching Episode I for the first time, but I like it much better now...
I really hope that I didn't offend anyone by posting my two cents about the movie...

I know exactly what you mean... I was watching it and I was like OK a little too far....

Offline Remulos

• No Force
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Is there a more honorable way to die than trying to save your son? Sometimes it's the hardest fight...
I know that he was trying to do the right thing but that just doesn't seem like the OT han. Upon further review, (I saw it again today) It was a well written death story. Just doesn't feel like something old (young) han would do.

Absolutely agree with Zens comment.

And I also agree with anakin that it's not what old (young) Han would do but at the same time if he hasn't changed over 30 years then I'd be disappointed.
Sabers I own:
Currently all imaginary

Offline Zen

• Padawan Learner
  • "I can't believe it"-" That is why you fail"
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
I agree, mu friend. Life events changes you and Han did it for the girl he loved, too.
43 yrs, a wife and a son: I can identify myself with such an action.

To my German friend I can say don't be touched. Third Reich was a entire world black spot, not a Deutsch problem. We're all involved. As Italian we has something similar and in the world, now, somethimg similar is happening. Always troops and a leader there are, no matter the colour of his skin and hair.
We can stand united for Peace and Justice, for the weakest rights.

You're clean as my 2,5 yrs old big boy, you are young, you can make the world a better place.

And may the Force be with You all.

Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time..

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
Really good film, but only a decent Star Wars film. Trailed off badly after the scene where Kylo interrogated Rey.
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
Not sure why but they left out a lot of background info on Rey. Probably intentional. She's a blank page mostly but with surprisingly phenomenal skills. How is she related to other main characters, for example?

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
Not sure why but they left out a lot of background info on Rey. Probably intentional. She's a blank page mostly but with surprisingly phenomenal skills. How is she related to other main characters, for example?

I doubt there is any relation. It was probably just by some miracle. You know, midichlorians or something :laugh:

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
So I'll throw it out there...Rey is Luke's daughter.  Through the whole movie whenever she brings up her parents around Han and Leia they act as if they know something.  Also interesting, as pointed out by others, is that  Hans son's real name is Ben.  Ben was the name of Luke's son in the old EU.  Now couple that with Rey who is a spitting image of Jaina (strong in the force, independent, excellent with technology/fixing things, and a natural pilot).  It's like they are twisting it but still keeping the light side dark side struggle within the vader family tree.

So it's like the fast forwarded 30 years took out the vong war  and smashed together elements of the second galactic civil war with Luke's exile afterwards due to allowing Jacen to fall to the dark side.  Also could explain why Rey didn't have parents.  When Luke went into exile he left here on Jaku and what if kylo killed her mom as Jacen killed Mara?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:48:00 PM by Wilbur »

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
So I'll throw it out there...Rey is Luke's daughter.  Through the whole movie whenever she brings up her parents around Han and Leia they act as if they know something.  Also interesting, as pointed out by others, is that  Hans son's real name is Ben.  Ben was the name of Luke's son in the old EU.  Now couple that with Rey who is a spitting image of Jaina (strong in the force, independent, excellent with technology/fixing things, and a natural pilot).  It's like they are twisting it but still keeping the light side dark side struggle within the vader family tree.

So it's like the fast forwarded 30 years took out the vong war  and smashed together elements of the second galactic civil war with Luke's exile afterwards due to allowing Jacen to fall to the dark side.  Also could explain why Rey didn't have parents.  When Luke went into exile he left here on Jaku and what if kylo killed her mom as Jacen killed Mara?
Just to be clear this is a theory correct? I honestly don't think she is. Not saying you're wrong though. Just the way it happened, it wasn't an, "Oh we'll just drop her off as a baby with random 'relatives'" as much as it was she was just abandoned as a little girl. Thats the only reason I say she's not.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
This just popped in my head- was anyones elses favorite moment when Finn was like, "We'll just use the force" and Han said, "Thats not how the force works!" Had me laughing  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:01:51 PM by anakin2000 »

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
This just popped in my head- was anyones elses favorite moment when Finn was like, "We'll just use the force" and Han said, "Thats not how the force works!" Had me laughing  :laugh:

I enjoyed all of Finns humor lol

Yes all of what I said was a theory, but I also wanted to note what I interpreted as a surprisingly strong amount, yet subtlety executed nods to old EU

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »

Just to be clear this is a theory correct? I honestly don't think she is. Not saying you're wrong though. Just the way it happened, it wasn't an, "Oh we'll just drop her off as a baby with random 'relatives'" as much as it was she was just abandoned as a little girl. Thats the only reason I say she's not.
A young, abandoned force sensitive living on a desert planet? Sounds strangely familiar. Both PT and OT had similar central characters. After episode 4, no one would have thought that Vader is Luke's father.

Rey could be a child of Luke or Han/Leia. Her background could figure in significantly  in Ep. 8. Some significant backstory is being kept in the dark.

Offline Blunt instrument

• No Force
  • Hello
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
Wow. Just saw it! Any Star Wars film for me is immediately at least an 8/10 !

Fin and Poe were great, but then Poe disappeared for most of the movie. Great to see all of the old cast. Great new landscapes and vehicles, weapons, costumes, aliens etc.

But: plot - a droid carrying important plans being hunted and a Death Star that needs to be blown up?

Also, does anyone get the feeling that our favourite ship the Falcon got a raping on screen by being being smashed into deserts and forrests etc?

Isn't Kylo the leader of the 'knights of Ren'? So he must be the best swordsman of them all? He got owned by an amateur!

Lastly, not as much use of the force as id like to see.

Still a great movie though. Just my thoughts. I'd pay to see it again. They have set it up well for 8&9 too

Offline Derro Kuspin

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »
I agree, mu friend. Life events changes you and Han did it for the girl he loved, too.
43 yrs, a wife and a son: I can identify myself with such an action.

To my German friend I can say don't be touched. Third Reich was a entire world black spot, not a Deutsch problem. We're all involved. As Italian we has something similar and in the world, now, somethimg similar is happening. Always troops and a leader there are, no matter the colour of his skin and hair.
We can stand united for Peace and Justice, for the weakest rights.

You're clean as my 2,5 yrs old big boy, you are young, you can make the world a better place.

And may the Force be with You all.

I'm 43, too (seems to be a common age here  :wink:) and have an 8 years old son - I would totally and gladly die to save him anytime... ...but an old and weathered hero like Han should have realized, that - knowing well the powerful lure of the Dark Side - it couldn't just be done there and then, not after what his son has obviously become. He should have known, that he wouldn't be able to convert him by his sacrifice on that bridge alone. On the contrary, that only deepened Ben's/Kylo's devotion to the Dark Side. I would have tried to capture him alive - even if the task would seem almost impossible - and then go slow on bringing my son back to the Light Side.
OK, it was a situation on the brink of a catastrophy and thus it's legit for me, that he acted the way he did, but did he have to just drop of the bridge into the chasm and be gone for good, the story continuing elsewhere right away? A character like Han deserves to have a more dramatical death (e.g. dying in the arms of Chewie), as well as giving us time to mourn. When I first saw Vader on the funeral pyre some 30 years ago, I cried my eyes out - and enjoyed the emotional moment immensly... Call me overly emotional, but I would have loved (in a bittersweet way) if Chewie would have carried Han's body and laid him down in front of a (crying) Leia to have a proper funeral afterwards.

Offline Zen

• Padawan Learner
  • "I can't believe it"-" That is why you fail"
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 01:32:10 AM »
Ahah, the good old sw generation! Emotionally I'd have preferred a more celebrative scene, I agree.

Maybe the sceeenplayers wanted to underlined deep Han's drives to act in a ingenuos way: the hope, the pain, his personal responsability, Leia asking him to bring back to her their son. Even his constant self over-consideration, how can I say better?

Anyway, I'm in a deep mourning...
Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time..

retrousse