fiduciary

Author Topic: Wireless RICE... Take the CONTROL of your saber configuration with the FORCE :-)  (Read 12623 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
WIRELESS R.I.C.E.

So, as a follow up to my Sidious hilt presented THERE, here's something I've been wanting to present for many months without having the time to finish a hilt for demonstrating the feature : a wireless version of RICE.

It's not rocket science, and I've played with it for several YEARS now (my old Omni Sabers wireless sound system used bluetooth too, though in a very special, low latency way). I've spent some time testing many bluetooth module and tweaking the current RICE apps which seemed to have issues to poll COM ports on PC (windows) when they are virtual BT ports.

Now it's fixed and I've found what is the simplest module to use : the BT modules known as HC (05 and 06). There are plenty of those everywhere.

The HC-06 is the simplest to use as it's a standard slave port which behaves like a wireless serial port. So in lieu of your wired RICE port, you just replace the serial RX, TX, GND connection to this module along with 3.3V to power it.
If you can't solder those tiny pads, they also exists as (bulkier) pre assembled modules, usually designed for arduino and DIY electronics. Slightly more expensive too

I won't provide any support for this as there are ZILLIONS of BT modules. They all have a configuration mode, accessed sometimes by changing the state of an I/O pin.
The HC-06 is simply listening all the time to configuration commands. Just hook it up to a USB serial port (hint hint : your RICE cable !) and send a few commands with a serial terminal app like DOCKLIGHT and the module is configured and ready to be paired.

HC-06 AT commands PDF

2-3 mandatory things to configure on a module you want to install :
- set the baud rate to 115200
- set the BT name cause they all ship with the same name within a model / brand
- eventually change the pairing code (defaults is usually 1234 sometimes 0000)

You can then use your phone to check if you can at least pair the BT module.

VIDEO

[Appologies in the video below, you'll hear my phone trying to find the network, being in the basement. Couldn't heard this, but the mike caught it. Sounds amateur, sorry about this]

The current version of RICE will be recompile soon to have the BT ports accepted. I've also written an Android App that will go on the market place once it's fully safe and tested, but in the meanwhile, it you want to try it, here's the APK link below.
It's designed for Android 4.3 and above IIRC.

Droid-RICE beta

GLAMS

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
Erv, you never cease to amaze!

When you say "port to the other boards", do you mean a firmware upgrade or just a compatible RICE version with no board changes needed? Just need to know if I'll have to have my new CF7.5 flashed... ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:06:29 AM by TrypWyr »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
no need to flash the CF, I only have to update the computer apps when I have a moment. That's the freaking elegance of the system, you just replace the cable, not what's on each side.

Offline Hawk Skywalker

• Force User
  • Use The Force without Force
Erv,

Extremely awesome!!  Apparently your creativity and genius knows no bounds!  Kudos!

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
[Appologies in the video below, you'll hear my phone trying to find the network, being in the basement. Couldn't heard this, but the mike caught it. Sounds amateur, sorry about this]

I kept moving my cell phone around my desk thinking it was interfering with my headphones... LOL

This is awesome news Erv, I am gonna order some BT modules today!! Love the idea of using my cell phone instead of the PC, too.

Offline Pinousse

• Master Force User
  • If so powerfull you are, why leave?
Awesome, awesome, awesome, awe...  :angel:

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
Fantastic! Been waiting for months for this! I've had my BT module for awhile just waiting to get at this! Thanks Erv!

Offline Namine

• Padawan Learner
This is great.
For some reason, my new PC hates it when I connect my sabers....

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Love the idea of using my cell phone instead of the PC, too.

this is complementary, TBH. The sliders on the phone won't allow a great precision when dealing with fine numbers and there's no space for adding numboxes, so the computer version will be more accurate for tuning (with a cable or via BT).
Still, it's great to do it on the phone (says the inner geek in me) and works perfectly for tuning color, and many parameters.

Offline Ryusui

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Woah...this is beyond impressive.

One question - would it be possible to use a bluetooth module with a 3.5 jack hooking into the RICE port, instead of actually hard-wiring a BT module to the board?

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
This is awesome.

I'll assume it will be awhile before a iOS/Mac version.

And in fine tuning, will it override the settings, meaning the
override LED limits 700,1000,1000?

E
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline bcbishop

• No Force
What a brilliant idea. Impressive work, Erv!

Offline Sini Star

• Experienced Force User
Well done Erv you are always improving and advancing this amazing hobby.  Thanks again for all of your great work.

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
Awesome improvement Erv' !

Just a quick question.
There is any safe point on the boards were we can get the 3.3V safely whithout the risk of frying something?
I guess the 18mA spot for LEDs is not providing enough current for the BT module, unless it uses very low current.
Elsewhere I think we need to add a 3.3V voltage regulator to get power directly from the battery.
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
This is awesome.
I'll assume it will be awhile before a iOS/Mac version.
And in fine tuning, will it override the settings, meaning the
override LED limits 700,1000,1000?

thanks. No IOS planned as I'm not paying for developping on a personal phone. I might partner with someone at some point for this, but that's not decided yet.

No for the led limits, that has to be configured base on what your power setup is. Same way you don't temper with your BIOS directly from Windows.

Just a quick question.
There is any safe point on the boards were we can get the 3.3V safely whithout the risk of frying something?
I guess the 18mA spot for LEDs is not providing enough current for the BT module, unless it uses very low current.
Elsewhere I think we need to add a 3.3V voltage regulator to get power directly from the battery.

I've wired the BT module on the said 3.3V pad, that works just fine, thought it's not turned off when the saber goes to deep sleep, which I don't care in my case as I have a recharge port and kill key.
Some modules (the DIY friendly ones) are mounted on a board with a regulator which will allow to connect it to the battery directly. If you want to control it from the board (from an accent pad) you can also put a PEX in the middle so that, for instance, the BT be activated (powered) only when the blade is on. That will however request that you (re) pair with the device each time, reason why mine is permanently on when you remove the kill key.

retrousse