fiduciary

Author Topic: RIP LucasArts  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
Re: RIP LucasArts
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
so is 1313 finished with? as in its not comming if so that is a huge let down, i was really looking forward to that one

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »
I just hope I don't see Darth Vader giving Micky mouse a great big bro hug in kingdom hearts or have Darth mail as a new character in bash brothers...disney already has a gaming branch (which isn't very good) corporate doesnt see any value in having two gaming departments. Clone wars was doomed as soon as the papers were signed. You have to take the good with  the bad.  There will be more games to play but Disney didn't buy the brand to finish other people's projects.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
I am just not sure Disney understands StarWars fans :-[.  The Vader/Mickey thing is also the type of thing I am worried about.  We obviously have no choice but wait and see, but so far not impressed with the direction they are taking. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
I've been unsure that Lucasfilm/Lucasarts etc. understand star wars fans for some time.
I see this move making it possible to have better SW games and more of them... games made by the fans - who happen work for excellent game companies.

Offline Sini Star

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
"I FEEL A DARKNESS FALLING OVER THE SW UNIVERSE!  HARD TO SEE IT'S FUTURE IT IS."

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »
Gah!  I heard about this today but haven't been able to get over here till just now.

Hoping Disney has some kind of 'master plan' with bringing quality SW games back into the mix, but i'm very skeptical.  And yes, also dreading a SW Kingdom Hearts-type game.  Goofy fighting Darth Vader?  The thought made me throw up in my mouth a little.

There's still so much the SW universe has to offer in terms of good quality games.  A better SWTOR ... a new KOTOR ... TFU III...  Not to mention 1313.  Don't bring the hatchet down on the possibilities Disney!

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
Oh well. It's not as if Lucasarts have made a great game since Monkey Island 2. Still... I don't recall Disney making one at all so you might have a point. All we can do is vote with our wallets. If they put out junk - don't buy it. It is after all the only language they understand.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
let's run down the list:

SWTOR and KOTOR were developed by Bioware, in Edmonton Canada, under license to LucasArts.
KOTOR-II was developed by Obsidian, under license to LucasArts.
the entire Xwing/TIE series was developed by Totally Games, under license to LucasArts.
the most recent games in the Jedi Knight series (jedi outcast and jedi academy) were developed by Raven Software, under license to LucasArts.
LEGO Star Wars games are developed by TT-Games, under license to LucasArts.
the SW Battlefront games were developed by Pandemic Studios, under license to LucasArts.
Empire at War was developed by Petroglyph; StarWars:Galaxies was developed by Sony/EA; "SW:Rebellion" was developed by Coolhand Interactive...
...ALL under license to LucasArts.  8)

as an "in house" developer themselves,  LucasArts developed the curse of monkey island.  and secret weapons of the luftwaffe.
their SW games include the phantom menace and pod racer (both of which were broken by windows XP and they never bothered to patch them -- these games don't run anymore).
they also did such memorable classics as 'Episode1: the gungan frontier' and 'Yoda Stories'   *yawn*  and Xbox games like "SW:Obi-wan" and "SW:starfighter" *yawn*
they also did Force Commander (a finacial disaster).  and "Super Bombad Racing" (no comment).  :o

let's face it guys:   Lucasfilm doesn't make their own lightsaber props .. they leave that to MR and eFX, under license.
ALL the best SW merchandise is developed by third parties, under license to Lucas.  this new announcement is NO different.
LucasArts will fold, the questionable-quality "in house" developments will stop (!finally!), and all new SW video games will be released under a 'licensing' business model...
..like every other bit of SW kit on our shelves ;)   it's all good.   don't worry.

I've been unsure that Lucasfilm/Lucasarts etc. understand star wars fans for some time.
I see this move making it possible to have better SW games and more of them... games made by the fans - who happen work for excellent game companies.

^^ this. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:34:18 PM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline theta03

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:15 PM »
I didn't see this until a friend of mine made a posting regarding. I am willing to wait to see what happens. I enjoy The Old Republic I enjoyed KotoR both. I think the only few games I liked that solely by LucasArts was both Force Unleashed games, and Republic Commando.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
Wedge is right the Lucasarts made games were never as good as the Lucasarts licensed games...

...except SWOTL which was an AWESOME flight sim for its day [in pure technical air-superiority fun nothing much beats boom-and-zooming B17 daylight bombing raids in a transonic [Horten] Go-229 that can EASILY outgun, outrun and outclimb the Allies best, and near untouchably annihilate them, to change the tide of war and history...until you remember if that 'alternate history' was real we'd mostly be posting in German now :( ].

But the in house SW games were certainly not as good as the licensed ones and I never liked the morally dubious idea of a game about Coruscant's wretched hives of scum and villainy anyway [if TOR is somewhat SW-for-WoW-fans-who-think-Jedi-are-wizards-and-the-Force-is-just-'magic' then 1313 seemed too much like SW-for-GTA-fans-who-like-playing-at-being-a-criminal-scum which is not true Light Side GOOD TRIUMPHS OVER EVIL Star Wars righteousness imo] so Hooray for this development I'm HAPPY it will never be seen!

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »
When something's weird....in the [SW] neighborhood....who ya gonna call?

WEDGE ANTILLES.

What he, Luminara, and Madcow said = voices of reason
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
Oh well. It's not as if Lucasarts have made a great game since Monkey Island 2. Still... I don't recall Disney making one at all so you might have a point. All we can do is vote with our wallets. If they put out junk - don't buy it. It is after all the only language they understand.

Curse of Monkey Island was still awesome, thank you very much!

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
The only one in-house developed games I enjoyed the most from LucasArts was Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

Offline Skottsaber

• Master Force User
  • Calamus Gladio Fortior
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Thank you for injecting some rationality, WEDGE.
Although I might add this small correction:

SWTOR were developed by Bioware, in Austin Texas, under license to LucasArts.

Seeing as Slothfurnace works there and lurks the forums. :P
Other than that, that's what I was trying to mention in my post. People see the overdramatized headlines from various gaming news sites and think the sky is falling and there will never be another Star Wars game. Look at the amount of media that's come out from 3 movies in the past 16 years. I hardly think Disney intends to lose money on a 4.5BN investment. We'll see plenty of media for star Wars with the (unfortunate, although that's another discussion) next set of movies, all this is is a slight change in strategy for Lucasarts, to essentially stop internal production and outsource it to other developers, which is really what they've been doing for all this time.

Also I really (still) enjoy Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Republic Commando which are both Lucasarts productions.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:38:02 AM by Skottsaber »

My Sabers:

Randomsabers Ravaster
CF Obi TPM
Saberconcepts Ahsoka Variant

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
The Force Unleashed and The Force Unleashed II are LucasArts creations and have been two extremely popular titles and the storyline is canon ;). 

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse