fiduciary

Author Topic: Commodore 64 talk time  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Master Tongren

• Force User
  • May the force be with you
Commodore 64 talk time
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:57:09 PM »
Ok I'm starting this thread cause of a short convo that was had by a few in a different thread.  Let's talk the ole days of the Commodore 64.  I remember my dad saying "there will be no games for this!"  Boy was he wrong.  I loved my C64 games like Airborne Ranger, Bop N Wrestle, Bruce Lee, all the olympic style games (remember having to move the joystick back and forth as fast as you can?) Summer games, California games.  Racing Destruction set.  Forbidden Forest.  Trolls and Tribulations.  I wanted to name a few to start things off.  Let's hear your C64 memories.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
Re: Commodore 64 talk time
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:47:31 AM »
Excellent topic! I got a great bunch of good memories from Commodore 64, mainly from years 1986 to about 1995. That was the era that I was playing with C64 and I really miss those times a lot. Sometimes I have thought whether I should buy one old working C64 set to have some good old memories. The games weren't that awesome looking as nowadays, but the ideas & concepts were really interesting back in those days and why not now. Not the kind of games like nowadays, with imitating too much realism and to me that's just not what I'm looking for. While in the army, it made me really think about things and it ain't that fun to me play these RPG War games anymore. Or then these games like Warriors or GTA's. All I gotta go to the central city and it's almost the same, so what's fun playing those events in games is beyond me. Good way to unpack some adrenalin, but quite often not enough "thinking" in those games to me. You could say I'm a bit tired of shooting games now. I'm a person who drools on classics and C64 is full of those games. I remember playing a lot games like Last Ninja, Giana Sisters, Aliens, R-Type, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, California Games, Winter Games, Summer Games, Conan The Barbarian, Gauntlet, bunch of Poker games, Bruce Lee, IK +, Laser Squad and lots of more.

Offline Master Tongren

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:53:45 PM »
Well I'm glad to see at least one person share some C64 memories.  I can't believe that there aren't more.  I saw so many of us talking about it in that other thread I thought this'd be a great new thread to start.  I agree with you Palpatine.  I miss those days too.  Hey if you want to play some of these old games again and don't want to risk getting a "working" C64, get a C64 emulator on your current PC.  Then just download the games you want and play them that way.  I had a C64 emulator a while ago but can't remember what it was.  It was a few years ago.  I wish I could point you in the right direction.  Maybe just do a search on Commodore 64 emulator on Yahoo.com?  How about Rambo II?  I do remember the uh "poker" games too.  You mentioned some classics as well.  Last Ninja, Gauntlet.  How about Way of The Exploding Fist?  Cool one on one fighting game.  And very loud hiya's if I remember correctly.  Maybe Karateka?  That was a good one.  Lode Runner?  Man they're starting to pour out.  I'll leave it at that for now.  Chime back in. 

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:45:49 AM »
Master Tongren, to me it's a honor to discuss in this topic about commodore 64 and there will be probably others when they'll notice this one. What comes to emulator, I have used it some years ago and also downloaded almost all games there's possible. There's quite good site in www.c64.com. Even though there is emulator, I would like to own the classic platform, the discs, joysticks. It would give you the real classic feeling, but on the other hand it's quite easy to play with your Pc. And yes there are lots of other good games, but I just gotta dig my memory bank first  ;)

Offline Wat-Gav Martra

• Jedi Master
  • Master Force User
  • Formally known as Scottish Jedi
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »
I had a C64, i didnt play with it as much as i did my consoles but it was a good piece of kit if you knew how to get the most out of it. Im sure if i was the age i am now when i got it i would have used it alot more.
Luke ROTJ FX Lightsaber: £89.99
Star Wars OT Boxset: £29.99
Fighting for the Light Side: Priceless
(Borrowed(Stole) this idea from Dark Skywalker)

Offline Master Tongren

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »
Mace, glad to see you shared in the revel that was C64.  Palpatine, Remember having to use classic Atari 2600 joysticks?  I played the "beep" out of mine.  Had a ton of pirated (Hope the FBI is not watching?) disks.  Remember clicking a notch in the floppy's so you can copy on them?  Took me a while to reply.  I've been out for a bit.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:51:19 PM »
What is Commodore 64?

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Master Tongren

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:04:01 PM »
C64 was an old game system.  Maybe mid to late 80's?  For lack of a better term it was a early generation PC hooked up to your TV.  The games were on the old big floppy disks.  I saw your profile and noticed your 14?  If that's correct then you never had the pleasure.  That's ok though.  I'm 33 myself and have been a casual gamer since the Pong days.  I had a Pong system, then Intellevision, the C64, Sega Genesis, Sega 32x, Sega Saturn, PS1, and now PS2.  And have been going to arcades since I knew what a token was.  Sorry, just reflecting on my past.  If you're curious about it, do a search on the Commodore 64 and you should be able to find some info with pics of the system and maybe some game screenshots.  Definitely bad graphics and sound to todays standards.  But back then.  Better than the Atari 2600.  On a side note, this is one thing I love about this forum.  The wide age range in here is very cool.  All having that common bond that is FORCE FX!!!     

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 10:08:34 PM »
I've never heard of Commodore 64. The oldest system I've played is the original Nintendo

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Master Tongren

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
It didn't get much advertising and was supposed to be more of a PC that a game system.  Then the games exploded in a kind of underground community with the kids.  I'm sure I'm not alone with having a dad that didn't want it to be meant for games.  It really wasn't meant for games.  But games are what drove the sales of this thing.  The kids knew it was a cool sort of system.  But no, it was not as widely known as your Nintendo's or Sega's that's for sure.  Still made a mark in the gaming history pages.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 06:42:31 AM »
Mace, glad to see you shared in the revel that was C64.  Palpatine, Remember having to use classic Atari 2600 joysticks?  I played the "beep" out of mine.  Had a ton of pirated (Hope the FBI is not watching?) disks.  Remember clicking a notch in the floppy's so you can copy on them?  Took me a while to reply.  I've been out for a bit.

Yeah I remember the joysticks, those were classics. What comes to pirated discs, I think we all had them back then. Very easy to copy games back in Commodore era also. I also copied cassettes, but using normal radio cassatte player, haha  :D.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 09:06:54 AM »
ok im only 19 but i had an Atari system, i loved it, space invaders, tanks, pitfall, man they were awesome

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 10:25:17 AM »
ok im only 19 but i had an Atari system, i loved it, space invaders, tanks, pitfall, man they were awesome

I played with Atari also, but never own one. One of my friends had one and some awesome games. Many games were quite simple back then, but unbeatable classics  ;)

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:30:30 AM »
i saw one in an atique shop like a few years ago, i was like "what something I played is an antique!" lol your right tho, those games are classics and will never be forgotten, i mean look now theyre always making the same atari games for the new systems, i have em all on Gamecube

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »
i saw one in an atique shop like a few years ago, i was like "what something I played is an antique!" lol your right tho, those games are classics and will never be forgotten, i mean look now theyre always making the same atari games for the new systems, i have em all on Gamecube

I have also Gamecube, what I love about this Cube are the games. I'm a huge fan of all Mario games and we play often Mario Party 6 with my wife, Mario Kart or something similar. The graphics ain't the best, but the ideas are great and there's lots of fun in those games. Excellent multiplayer games.  ;)

retrousse