fiduciary

Author Topic: Introducing "Igniter" Sound and Led Drivr  (Read 102869 times)

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
Re: Introducing "Igniter" Sound and Led Drivr
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
While I think it's always a great thing for people to see a need and to try to fill it, I guess I have the unpleasant task of bursting your bubble for the time being.

Before you can sell ANYTHING, you must first sign the rules and regulations for the trade federation: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=23624.0 The biggest being you must at this time fulfill the 3/50 time requirement - 3 months and 50 substantial posts. Also, if there is a run, it must be approved by Yoda BEFORE it is posted.

It would also be a good idea for a couple of the driver boards were sent to established community members for 'field testing' and reviews before having this put on the market for general consumption, but that is a 100% Asajj Ventress opinion, and not the Official Stance of FX-Sabers.

Now, while I HATE being a wet blanket, I am only giving this advice based on the experience of those that have come before you, and being the lazy schlub that I am, would prefer not to go through any unintended and unforeseen foolishness again.

But, good luck and DEFINITELY keep us posted!   8)
8)

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
I would say if you can provide all those features in a board that will fit in a hilt, as well as good sound quality you would have a lot of interested customers.  As far as distributing them to smiths prior to selling them at a site/on fx sabers that is a good suggestion.

Not to prove the boards work but to get experienced and knowlegdful individuals who can find out if there are any bugs to work out, as well as provide feedback for the finished product and with their approval additional customers will feel more comfortable using your product.

I know personally my favorite feature on all the boards that have been available is the COF feature. 

With that said, I wish you good luck on your endevor and will personally note that this thread will be placed on my notify option after the originally flurry of posts settles down :)

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Its always nice to have another techy come through here and bring something new to the table. We all thank you for you work, and look forward to seeing your final product. Great Job  8)

Offline Oisse

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
This is awesome :) I only have one problem. Your Lockup effect, by the looks of it, it is just a file played at random, unlike the Ultrasound, Crystal Focus, Petit Crouton, etc. They play the lockup continuously until you manually stop it ie. Letting go of the Aux button on CF/PC and pressing the button again on a US. Will your Aux button eventually act like my mentioning of the CF/PC/US?
Custom sabers that I own:

89sabers Qui-Gon nbv4 GGW
KR/OR Luke V2 CFX/Pixel

Offline naigon

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone for the super response. Apparently my free time techie (read geeky) project is of interest. Let me try to respond to some of the biggest questions/concerns.

Quote from: Shadeslinger
Very interesting stuff! I really like that TruMix feature.

Thanks Shadeslinger, I'm the most proud of the TruMix myself. Actually, I've been calling it TrueMix, but I like TruMix better. Do you mind if I use it? I'll give you a special thanks in the liner notes, and maybe you can become one of my beta testers.

While I think it's always a great thing for people to see a need and to try to fill it, I guess I have the unpleasant task of bursting your bubble for the time being.

Before you can sell ANYTHING, you must first sign the rules and regulations for the trade federation: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=23624.0 The biggest being you must at this time fulfill the 3/50 time requirement - 3 months and 50 substantial posts. Also, if there is a run, it must be approved by Yoda BEFORE it is posted.

It would also be a good idea for a couple of the driver boards were sent to established community members for 'field testing' and reviews before having this put on the market for general consumption, but that is a 100% Asajj Ventress opinion, and not the Official Stance of FX-Sabers.

Now, while I HATE being a wet blanket, I am only giving this advice based on the experience of those that have come before you, and being the lazy schlub that I am, would prefer not to go through any unintended and unforeseen foolishness again.

But, good luck and DEFINITELY keep us posted!   8)

Hey Asajj,
Thanks for the good advice. I am defiantly aware of the forum rules (I just re-read them today) and am not trying to break any rules. In fact, I've been a part of another hobby in the past (Car related) that had the same problem; scam artists ripping off the community, which is totally uncool.

Actually, I may have to bust a couple bubbles, as I think people are under the impression that I'm ready to start selling now. The fact is, I'm still months out from a final product, as I have to finish the Led driver, make a prototype that fits into a hilt, test the swing and clash, and then finally I can think of a final board. So it will be awhile before I can get something that I would even dream of letting people put their hands on.

And your idea of having some of the smiths do some initial testing is spot on; the more testing that can be done early on the better! (I'm in software for a living, can you tell? :)) In fact I would really love to see the Igniter go into the likes of a Vader's Vault hilt, their work is so inspiring it would make me proud. As I get closer to a final product I'll be contacting some of the members about the interest for testing. And feel free to give me any advice as this project is quite large and I can use some help.

Okay, enough with the bubble bursting, lets get back to some fun stuff...
Very nice work. I will be subscribing to this thread, and watching with great interest.
I suspect one of your bugs could be the puppy. Hes actually a sith agent with lightning. Be careful of ESD.

Haha, I would never expect that of Jedi Footman, he seems so innocent when I'm working with him, but maybe this is best disguise :)

This is awesome :) I only have one problem. Your Lockup effect, by the looks of it, it is just a file played at random, unlike the Ultrasound, Crystal Focus, Petit Crouton, etc. They play the lockup continuously until you manually stop it ie. Letting go of the Aux button on CF/PC and pressing the button again on a US. Will your Aux button eventually act like my mentioning of the CF/PC/US?

The lockup is random in the sense that it randomly picks one of the lockup sounds available for that font. I've never actually gotten my hands on a CF or Petite Cruton and am just designing by how I see fit. That being said, I felt the same thing when doing the demo and plan to augment my button to actually kill the sound when being released.

So in a nutshell, yes, it should be similar to a PC when done.

Thanks again everyone, and feel free to keep asking questions, providing feedback and even making any feature requests if you desire.

Cheers,
-Naigon
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
Sounds promising!  I look forward to seeing your final results.  I think that if this is something that may be offered in the future, that it would be a welcome addition to the community.  But I must say that it also would be wise to stay within the confines of respect to the established members of this forum and keep in good faith with them as well.

Best of luck in your endeavor and I look forward to seeing what comes of this!

:)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Good start.  Many things to work out you have, but possibilities this project has.

Offline Rafalema

• Master Force User
  • Dancin' with da polar bears
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
That's awesome!  :o

Keep it up the great work  8) 8)
Through Passion, I gain Strength
The Assassin - MHS Custom, CFv5.6

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
 But I must say that it also would be wise to stay within the confines of respect to the established members of this forum and keep in good faith with them as well.

Best of luck in your endeavor and I look forward to seeing what comes of this!

I think he is showing due respect with the topic :)

As far as the time it takes to bring an idea to market, I figured you were months/a possible year? away from actually having a functional project, but the base ideas seem to be coming together.  By then i'm sure he will be a well known figure on the forums, for much promise this young one shows.

Always nice to see new blood, and new ideas flowing into the hobby

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
Excellent work! :o
I too look forward to seeing how this progresses. The TruMix feature is a great idea. At this early stage in development having one apparent bug seems to be pretty good going in my book. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like with a better quality speaker & to see the further development of the LED driver aspect. Personally, no disrespect intended, I'd be very surprised if it only took a few months to reach a prototype PCB stage. Knowing how long development of a product like this can take, especially when it's a hobby or side project, I'd be more than impressed if such a prototype reached the testing stage this side of xmas.
 On the subject of the FoC feature, will this be something integrated into the main board itself or will it require a satellite/daughter board? Also what kinds of LED's are you planning to make it compatible with & do you have any plans for what kind of max/min power requirements it might have?
 Best of luck with this Naigon, I look forward to seeing more as it develops.  :)
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
I too would like to know the intended target min/max voltage input and output ranges and maximum current out but so far...intriguingly promising.

MTFBWY as you continue development.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Ahriman

• Formerly known as Doktor Tod
  • No Force
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »
Very impressive.  You asked for suggestions / what we'd like to see, so I have a couple things to I'd like to mention that have been on my mind.

1.  Configurable sound interrupt parameters

In regards to blaster block and lockup, I'd like to have not just the wavs configurable, but ideally their behavior.  That would include adjusting flicker effects (which the Ultrasound, and to a greater extent the PC and Crystal Focus currently allow for), but also the ability to choose whether or not they can be interrupted by other sounds, like clashes and swings.  Keep in mind that for maximum openness, not all users will necessarily use the blaster block / lockup slots strictly for blaster block / lockup effects.  Or they just may or may not want their blaster block effects, for example, to be able to be interrupted by clash and / or swing effects for matters of personal taste.  Or they may just want to ditch the blaster block and have two different kinds of lockup effects available on the fly for variety's sake.  I don't know about the Crystal Focus, but to the best of my knowledge the Ultrasound, PC, and MR boards do not allow you to adjust which sound effect can interrupt which.  Instead, they are set at what are generally very sensible, logical choices:  blaster blocks can be interrupted by clashes but not swings, lockup can't be interrupted by anything.  But personally, I'd rather have two totally open, configurable sound files whose interrupt parameters are totally configurable, rather than two which are optimized to serve as straight blaster blocks / lockup.  

2.  Unwanted swing sfx activation control

The other issue I wanted to address is the problem of activating unwanted swings, which you get when using the rolling ball swing detectors used on MR and PC boards.  If you plan to go with an accelerometer, like the CF or the Ultrasound, this problem is pretty much solved for you.  But if you will be using the rolling ball setup (which will, on the positive side, allow you to control price a bit), then I have a suggestion.  I'd like to see momentary swing deactivation available on your soundboard, such that the user could depress a button on their hilt which will make swings impossible to activate while held down.

Why?  So that when you are just standing there, or walking slowly with the hilt held in front of you, you don't hear the hilt go "whoosh - whoosh - vim - slash - whoosh!" just because you breathed or turned to look at your brother.  There are many great moments in the films where there is a break in the fighting and the two opponents are squaring off, measuring each other, pacing slowly, etc., and all you hear is the quiet hum of their blades.  That's hard to achieve currently with MR and PC boards.  

There are two ways you could implement this.  One would be to have an additional sound slot configured (or better, configurable to be) like a lockup, featuring a duplicate hum wave.  When depressed, this would produce a hum sound that could not be interrupted by a swing or clash.  (In fact, if you commission a PC board from a smith, you should be able to do this now (not on the TCSS ones) by substituting a hum wav for your lockup.  It's just that you'd lose the lockup.)

An even simpler solution, as I was advised recently, would be to just put in a momentary / latching switch that opened the circuit of the swing detector, effectively deactivating it for as long as the button was depressed.  A very easy solution, and one that could potentially be applied to any sound board with metal ball swing detection (although not without monkeying with the board and thus invalidating your warranty if you're working with a PC).  

When the swing is fully active, of course, this solution still won't give it the precision swing registration of a CF or Ultrasound.  But this workaround would get rid of the most annoying problem, the activation of a flurry of battle action sounds when you're just standing there doing nothing.  Again, this fix would likely work on any metal ball swing detection sound board, but since you're still in the formative stages, you could integrate it more elegantly if you were so inclined.  

Anyhow, that's my two cents.  Best of luck with your new board.  I'm definitely interested in seeing your progress.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:24:29 AM by Doktor Tod »

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »
well, electronics is all above my head... unfortunately .. but i do understand R@D work and it looks like a good 12 months on this project, accelerometor seems the way to go, 3 axis and high G sensing  and hang the cost. 99 different swing and clash sounds seems like overkill, surety 20.. 30 would be MORE than enough?. 1.2 amp , what about a 2 or 2.5 amp ? ... all this said i believe that EVERYONE wishes you complete success with this project, so best of luck.

Offline Smokiewan

• Master Force User
  • Canadian Jedi do it in the snow
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 02:45:49 AM »
Nice work. Keep it up.  ;)

Offline KettTares

• Force User
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:55 AM »
This is sounding excellent!  I love the separation of the SFX, it all sounds nice and clean.  Keep up the good work, you have our support! ^\^

MTFBWYA
- Kett Tares
[img width= height=]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z297/Brookin__/CD-LukeV2Club.jpg[/img]
AFBB Obi-Wan Saber by LDM
Brass Saber 27 (BS-27) by Qui-Gon Jinn
Havoc Stunt OSPP by Vader's Vault
Ascend Stunt Ice Blue by Madcow

retrousse