fiduciary

Author Topic: TeensySaber newbie thread  (Read 14630 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: TeensySaber newbie thread
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »
Hey,

is it possible to implement the SDfat.h library instead of SD.h? I just changed the SD adapter due to space limitations and stuff doesn't work now ("bank open failure").

I tested the sd card with SDinfo program on both libraries and SDfat.h worked great, when SD.h didn't even recognised
the card.

Weird, SD adapters hook up directly to the chip, so I don't see how a different adapter would make any difference. Maybe the problem is a differently configured SD card?
That said, I think the changes to use SDFat are pretty minimal, but I don't think SDFat is included with the default installation, so I don't want to use it by default.
I have a similar problem myself in that I whenever I activate the teensy-optimized mode in SD.h, the sd card is not found.

One really nice thing about SDFat is that it supports long file names, but that also means that the MTP code has to be modified a little bit to support long filenames too.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
Where can I buy the pins to hold the two boards together?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
Where can I buy the pins to hold the two boards together?

First of all, I don't actually recommend using header pins. Sure, they make it easy and super-secure, but if anything goes wrong, it's very difficult to get the boards apart without damaging anything. I personally just take some wire, strip an inch or so, twist it and tin it. Then I solder it into place on both sides, cut it and move on to the next slot. It may be helpful to have header pins in the corners to get things lined up properly though.

That said, if you want to use header pins, you can buy some cheap ones from amazon:
Uxcell a14081900ux0592 50 x Single Row 40Pin 2.54 mm Male Pin Header Connector:

Or, you can buy some with thinner standoffs here, which will make the final package slightly thinner:
1x40 pin Snap Header .1"sp .162"MH: Phoenix Enterprises -PE- Connectors IC

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »
 :grin:

Do we need to put the two boards together before we program the board of before?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »
:grin:

Do we need to put the two boards together before we program the board of before?

You can do it either way. Programming it before you put the boards together isn't all that useful though, as the program will complain about all the things it can't do. (Like talk to the motion chip and the SD card.)
Note that once you cut the VIN-VUSB, the teensy cannot be powered from the computer anymore, so it has to be soldered to the teensysaber and powered by a battery to program it.

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
I made a quick software setup video.  While this is my methods of how I do things, Fredrik says:

1.  You can put the "Lightsaber" folder anywhere on your computer so you can access it easily.  It doesn't need to be in the "Arduino" folder.

2.  Fredrik suggests using the lightsaber.ino to create your config file instead of creating a .txt document like I did in this video, and then I forced it into the necessary ".h" style document.  It works for me, but I force my computer to display extensions.  You can make it simply in the "lightsaber.ino" environment.

Video:

Hope someone finds this helpful. 

Tom

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
I've watched the video a few times. If I'm using a pixel blade do I still use what seems like black jumpers on the led pads? Also If I do where do you buy them? Also I have a pixel set of 144 does this board run this many?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
I've watched the video a few times. If I'm using a pixel blade do I still use what seems like black jumpers on the led pads? Also If I do where do you buy them? Also I have a pixel set of 144 does this board run this many?

Black jumpers? Where did you see those?

Normally you want to connect the three LED pads together when you're using a neopixel blade.
The maximum number of pixels in a blade is configurable, and defaults to 144.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
On a video someone made.

TeensySaberV3 Assembly II - YouTube
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:33:24 PM by BEN KENOBI »

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
On a video someone made.

TeensySaberV3 Assembly II - YouTube

So the "black things" you see in this video are called pin headers, and are used to connect the teensysaber to the teensy.
This video doesn't show what to do with the LED pads at all.
Of course, if you have a proffieboard you don't need to do most of this.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
I'm looking for the header pin sets ;but, I have not seen none anywhere. When I bought my two soundboards in the run you had were I supposed to have them inside the sealed packs?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 12:16:50 AM »
I'm looking for the header pin sets ;but, I have not seen none anywhere. When I bought my two soundboards in the run you had were I supposed to have them inside the sealed packs?

No, the header pins can be bought from lots of places.
The pins do make it easy to put the boards together, and they hold things together *really* well. Problem is that it holds things together *too* well. It's quite difficult to get them apart again, which is a requirement if one of the boards develop a problem.   Find a way to hold the two boards 2-3mm apart, then peal, twist and tin an inch or two of 30-awg wire, solder it to both sides, snip it and then move on to the next connection.   It's a little bit more work, but it makes it easy to take the boards apart later, should the need arise.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
I can't find the pins anywhere. Can you give me a link?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »

Offline Supercheez

• No Force
  • Ahoy
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
I've got my teensy v1 wired up and running but have just started testing the audio and I've found that when the blade activates it seems to kill the SD card access. On boot the sounds work fine but once I've activated the blade the dir commands stops returning anything.

Any idea what could be causing this? Do I have a short somewhere between an SD pin and the blade power?

retrousse