fiduciary

Author Topic: Wireless (Bluetooth) control for sound boards - HOW-TO!  (Read 28496 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Wireless (Bluetooth) control for sound boards - HOW-TO!
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:14 AM »
[addon] : obviously, it's totally possible to have a USB receiver made out of this to turn it into a univeral receiver that should work with stock RICE program (HW dependencies being pushed out of the OS). That's how my Omnisabers worked back in 2006 except that it was a MIDI device and not USB !

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
Just an FYI for everyone... I managed to tear the 3.3v pad (VCC) off of my HM-13. Totally frustrated. Then I noticed that the adjacent pad (right next to it) was listed in the HM-13 manual as NC or VCC. Turns out, I was able to wire my 3.3v directly to the pad next to the one I tore off and everything still works.

Of course, I only noticed this after I panic-ordered another 3 HM-13 boards from FastTech.

Thanks for the tutorial, BTW. Really helped me out.

Here are some links that may help others just finding this tutorial:

I didn't want to butcher my TCSS serial cable, so I got one of these from Amazon for $8: Amazon.com: DSD TECH TTL to USB Converter with CP2102 Chip Works for Windows

I got my HM-13 from FastTech: .90 HM-13 Dual Mode Bluetooth 4.0 BLE SPP LE Serial Port Module - compatible
Thanks! I added some more links to a ready-to-go USB-to-TTL converter in the original post.

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE! Just tested this module installed in the aluminum hilt (didn’t think about it earlier...) and signal strength dropped dramatically unfortunately, so it still works good in up to 2 meters (depending on how thick the hilt is and how the module is placed inside, there must be no ground wires around the module antenna) area around the saber but from 2 meter and up it looses connection. But I think it still works until I find a better module.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:45:07 PM by ShtokyD »

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE! Just tested this module installed in the aluminum hilt (didn’t think about it earlier...) and signal strength dropped dramatically unfortunately, so it still works good in 50cm area around the saber but from 1 meter and up it looses connection... well, that only means research continues...

That's not too bad though, is it? When I'm using the HM-13, I have to remove the part of the hilt that is covering it, or I can't get it to connect at all. Is that not everyone else's experience with the HM-13?

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Usualy no, HM-13 has a more powerful antenna (+6db), so it worked fine in my sabers. JDY-16 is only 0db max. You can check if you programmed HM-13 to run at max power by AT commands.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE! Just tested this module installed in the aluminum hilt (didn’t think about it earlier...) and signal strength dropped dramatically unfortunately, so it still works good in 50cm area around the saber but from 1 meter and up it looses connection... well, that only means research continues...

How about putting the antenna like the old cell phones had it where you pull it out a bit when you are ready to use it? Back in the day when we only had one free hand, we'd pull out the antenna with our teeth so we could get reception (for all you young'ins who didn't know)

Better yet, 'bunny ears' from an old t.v. would get the signal no problem! And when you're playing the saber you can hunt for underground water at the same time

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:14 AM »

How about putting the antenna like the old cell phones had it where you pull it out a bit when you are ready to use it? Back in the day when we only had one free hand, we'd pull out the antenna with our teeth so we could get reception (for all you young'ins who didn't know)

Better yet, 'bunny ears' from an old t.v. would get the signal no problem! And when you're playing the saber you can hunt for underground water at the same time
Well, better just use a good bluetooth module :) I'm testing HM-11 BLE 4.0 module today (same size factor as HM-13), this module has all required features and +6dbm signal power, so I really hope this one will be the one. I will let you guys know...

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
No, unfortunately HM-11 didn't work... Next try gonna be a BLE 4.0 nRF51822-04AT module.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:01:17 AM by ShtokyD »

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
No, unfortunately HM-11 didn't work... Next try gonna be a BLE 4.0 nRF51822-04AT module.

Regardless, thank you for all the work you've been doing on this. You really improve this hobby with your innovation.

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

Regardless, thank you for all the work you've been doing on this. You really improve this hobby with your innovation.
Well, JDY-16 still works in up to 2 meters, I just reinstalled it and moved further from ground wires and battery inside the chassis to get better antenna signal. Also a hole in the hilt will help a lot to improve the signal strength.

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Usualy no, HM-13 has a more powerful antenna (+6db), so it worked fine in my sabers. JDY-16 is only 0db max. You can check if you programmed HM-13 to run at max power by AT commands.

I'm looking through the manual at the AT commands and I don't understand which one(s) you're referring to. Which command(s) should I be looking at for the HM-13?

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 01:16:31 AM »
All required commands are listed in my tutorial.
Update/// oh, I just noticed that datasheet says it has different power output values but gives no command to set it.... For HM-13 the signal power AT command is AT+POWE<value> (0, 1 or 2), but it doesn't work. Also set AT+MTUS1 command for higher data packet transmission and AT+HIGH1. And don't cover antenna with steel parts (steel is very bad for signal, even aluminum is better), also try to place the module far from Ground wires.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:38:44 PM by ShtokyD »

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 05:05:12 AM »
All required commands are listed in my tutorial.
Update/// oh, I just noticed that datasheet says it has different power output values but gives no command to set it.... The AT command is AT+POWE<value> (0, 1 or 2), but it doesn't work. Also set AT+MTUS1 command for higher data packet transmission and AT+HIGH1. And don't cover antenna with steel parts (steel is very bad for signal, even aluminum is better), also try to place the module far from Ground wires.

Great info and tips. Thank you. I will try this soon. Might put a hole in the hilt with a mesh screen over it for a hopefully clearer signal.

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
Added wiring diagrams for new bluetooth modules - FSC-BT630 and FSC-BT909! Best modules so far!

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:47 AM »
Added wiring diagrams for new bluetooth modules - FSC-BT630 and FSC-BT909! Best modules so far!

very cool and thank you for your research !

retrousse