fiduciary

Author Topic: FREE FONT: Slave 1.5.2  (Read 10271 times)

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
FREE FONT: Slave 1.5.2
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
I made this font ages ago, one my very first. As such it isn't my best work imo, especially as it relies upon samples taken from youtube.

Nevertheless it's a fun one to use.

As the name suggests it is based upon the sounds of Boba/Jango Fetts and Slave 1.
Extra thanks to Darkmatter73, this font was originally made for his saber featured on the following thread, and he agreed to release this font for everyone to enjoy after he sold the saber. I have tweaked the font to correct what I now know to be mistakes.

Slave 1.5 - an MHS build

The Sabre hum features a slave1 engine-idle sound taken from a game. The bass-end was cut and replaced with the deep ambient bass-rumble of a star-ship, and in the top-end the hiss/whine of an F22 fighter was added to ensure copyright adherance

Swings were reworked from film footage featuring slave1 (in particular, Jango's dog-fight vs Obi-Wan)
Clashes are variously from Slave1's cannons, Boba-Fett and Jango-Fet blaster noises, layered with jet-pack and electric crackling.
Power on and off are reworked samples of the jet pack
combos are variations of seismic charge
lockup is a melange of fighter craft whine (in crash) electricity, turbulence and hum.

Enjoy!

http://www.dropbox.com/s/b917v8d00arzyfv/slave1.5.2.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:42:13 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
Re: FREE FONT: Slave 1.5.2
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
As a collector of lego slave 1's, I'm quite stoked to try this out.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Many thanks for posting this.

I remember you mentioning this font in another thread and it sounded intriguing then. Looking forward to trying it out on a saber - I have one that I think will match it quite well  :grin:

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »

I remember you mentioning this font in another thread and it sounded intriguing then. Looking forward to trying it out on a saber - I have one that I think will match it quite well  :grin:

PICS!

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »

PICS!

It's not a Fett weathered GCS saber or anything so don't get your hopes up!  It's just a trooper saber with some red accents which for some reason makes me think of Fett. Will post some pics when I get a chance.   :smiley:

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
Loaded this font onto a saber but it wasn't the saber I was planning on - my wife wanted to try this on her VV trans-blue REVN Elite and it kinda matches that saber too as the trans blue is very Jango Fett. This is a cool original sounding font if you're into the Fetts. As the saber is only CSv2.5 equipped I hacked the blaster sound to tack on one of the combos after the blasters from the Obi-Wan chase to get the seismic charge sounds in there too. The hum looks like it's heavily clipped, and so it appears to distort a little, even though I'm not sure if it is. Sadly there's also a little too much bass for the small bass speaker to handle in the seismic charges - although it has a good go at playing them. The swings and clashes are awesome  :smiley:

Overall she really liked it, and I might try a few more hacks, but it will probably stay on her saber  :grin:

Again - thanks for posting this.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
Welcome. I was certainly still learning when I made this (not that you ever stop learning)

I was playing with small amounts of deliberate distortion and clipping on some of the sounds, for turbulence and such, but I may have been too much for a small speaker. I can to some extent de-clip the hum if you like, but the reason it looks so hard-limited on screen is that I compressed it several times, set to the highest peak. 

It's interesting to compare it with my font Event Horizon though, which uses similar ideas for the hum and yet sounds so much better imo

Actually going to make a new preview now I've altered a couple of clashes, but here:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:20:26 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
Event Horizon sounds interesting - will check it out when Saberfont gets updated  :smiley:

Would be interested in trying out slightly de-clipped sounds if you have them - it's a great font as it is though - didn't mean to dwell on the negatives.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
It's a great font. Funny enough, the guy who bought the Slave 1.5 saber from me didn't end up using it.
His loss I guess.
Thanks again to Baconwizard for coming up with it in the first place, and allowing me to use it on that saber.
Had a thought, what about a "line" of fonts ala Blako's crystals, but with starships. Just a thought =)

Thanks again Baconwizard!
-Darkmatter73

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Oooo good idea. Tie-fighters certainly need one.

Others depending on sonic individuality.

Let me de-clip this and I'll start on some others which aught to be better considering my ever advancing knowledge and ears :)

Offline CET

• Force User
  • Humble Padawan
    • Lightsaber Team
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »
BaconWizard ... you're so awesome! I want to buy you a beer or three. Do you have some kind of donation box?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »
BaconWizard ... you're so awesome! I want to buy you a beer or three. Do you have some kind of donation box?

Aww, thank you. No I don't, but I hope to have a few fonts coming through before long on saberfont.com once they catch up with the workload and on a separate matter I will likely be running a kickstarter in a month or so which may interest you.

If you really want to donate something, please make free with a humanitarian charity of your choice :)

Offline Jdubs

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
sweeet!

retrousse