fiduciary

Author Topic: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion  (Read 96668 times)

Offline LyleStyle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Crystal Focus X (v10) specs, demo and discussion
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
This question was first posted at TCSS. Since FJK recommended I repeat it here, I humbly submit this to the Order of the Buttered Toast:

Would it be possible to link a blaster core to the CFX via IR or Bluetooth (etc) so that a blaster trigger also triggers the AUX effect on the CFX. This way my wife can blast away and my saber will respond according to her timing.

It would be fun to revisit this Lazer Tag vibe. (a toy I cherished as a kid!)

Thank you for considering!

Offline pwrmac7600

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
I seem to have alot of problems getting the Tip Drag to work. I am hitting my aux switch and tapping the tip in a downward motion to the floor, and 99% of the time I just get a clash.
What am I doing wrong?

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
In case others haven't spotted this on Erv's Facebook page - he has posted updated firmware to the Plecter Labs website. There is also a video demonstrating the FW upgrade process on his YouTube.

As noted make sure to read the release notes - in particular if you have a LED strip build as the strip timings have changed and you must ensure to update the config file with the new timings.

I've updated a couple of sabers already - a Tri-Cree LED that has a latching switch (as this has FW has a fix for a latching switch issue), and a Neopixel - both without any problems. Really like the ability to use poi to allow the Smooth Swing to operate from the time you ignite. Also the LED 'flashes' that I had on the LED saber when igniting sometimes appear to have been fixed. Also liking the LED strip lighting effects in iSaber audio player, and the PLI on LED strip.

Erv - one for when you get back on-line: the latching switch fix has a small issue I think. I have switch=1 and it works fine. However if the saber goes into deep sleep and you wake it by switching the latching switch 'on' - I would expect it to boot with the boot sound (which it does), and then immediately ignite which it doesn't - instead it is then starts to operate weirdly: The saber ignites if you turn the switch back 'off', and retracts if you turn it back 'on' again (i.e. the logic is reversed from normal). Also there is no way to get to the menu by holding the aux switch while the saber is off. The only way out is to either wait for the saber to sleep again, or remove power and re-boot. If I ensure to wake the saber using the aux button then everything works fine.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »
I seem to have alot of problems getting the Tip Drag to work. I am hitting my aux switch and tapping the tip in a downward motion to the floor, and 99% of the time I just get a clash.
What am I doing wrong?

If you have the hdrag settings right (and the fact that you are getting the effect sometimes implies you have - but note that the hdrag settings are dependent on which way round the card is installed, and also if it is at an angle in the hilt (e.g. curved hilt)) - then it should be the same type of feeling as getting the force clash to work, but just with the blade pointed downwards (or however you have hdrag configured). Can you get force clash to trigger?

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
Would it be possible to link a blaster core to the CFX via IR or Bluetooth (etc) so that a blaster trigger also triggers the AUX effect on the CFX. This way my wife can blast away and my saber will respond according to her timing.

I did something similar on my millenium falcon coffee table project, really no problem. Also, I recall Frederick did just this on proffie for lazerTag guns to trigger blasters and it's a cool effect !

Erv - one for when you get back on-line: the latching switch fix has a small issue I think. I have switch=1 and it works fine. However if the saber goes into deep sleep and you wake it by switching the latching switch 'on' - I would expect it to boot with the boot sound (which it does), and then immediately ignite which it doesn't - instead it is then starts to operate weirdly: The saber ignites if you turn the switch back 'off', and retracts if you turn it back 'on' again (i.e. the logic is reversed from normal). Also there is no way to get to the menu by holding the aux switch while the saber is off. The only way out is to either wait for the saber to sleep again, or remove power and re-boot. If I ensure to wake the saber using the aux button then everything works fine.

hey mickeyX, thank you for your posts and tests, I'm glad that this update is providing some of the stuff you wanted !
All noted for the latching switch, I probably have a state machine / flag issue with this particular combo, will be on it asap. I haven't fully recovered yet, I expected the general anesthesia to have side effects on the mind and though it's been better today, I'm still very tired. I'm trying to return to coding or "do things" tomorrow

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
No worries - wasn't expecting to hear from you for another week or so - take it easy and don't worry about fixes for now! Hope everything went okay.

Offline pwrmac7600

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »
What am I doing wrong?

If you have the hdrag settings right (and the fact that you are getting the effect sometimes implies you have - but note that the hdrag settings are dependent on which way round the card is installed, and also if it is at an angle in the hilt (e.g. curved hilt)) - then it should be the same type of feeling as getting the force clash to work, but just with the blade pointed downwards (or however you have hdrag configured). Can you get force clash to trigger?
So if I have it set to 0; 512 then any where from just under horizontal to straight down should trigger it correct?

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »
yes, that should be it !

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »
No worries - wasn't expecting to hear from you for another week or so - take it easy and don't worry about fixes for now! Hope everything went okay.

I had the dumb for a couple of days but I think (moderate) activity heals more than just the couch. Everything went ok, pain still there for some of it, pain killers only on day one then now just the basic, gentle stuff and resting. Still a tad "low" but capable of doing the standard stuff

I was able to reproduce the described issue this morning, going to fix that and a few other details to push a beta before I break everything for the new power on time lines and auxiliary ledstrip output etc.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2019, 02:07:57 AM »
What am I doing wrong?

So if I have it set to 0; 512 then any where from just under horizontal to straight down should trigger it correct?

Provided it's an install with the SD card pointing towards the pommel (which is often the case to allow access via the pommel) then yes. If the SD card is reversed (SD card pointing towards the emitter - common with chassis installs where you reveal the entire chassis for access) then it should be -512,0. If you have it the wrong way then all it means is that you can trigger drag with a clash motion combined with holding aux with the blade pointed upwards instead.

The other possibility is that you have a curved hilt with the card installed at an angle - if that's the case then setting hdrag requires a bit more thought and experimentation..

Offline pwrmac7600

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »
What am I doing wrong?

Provided it's an install with the SD card pointing towards the pommel (which is often the case to allow access via the pommel) then yes. If the SD card is reversed (SD card pointing towards the emitter - common with chassis installs where you reveal the entire chassis for access) then it should be -512,0. If you have it the wrong way then all it means is that you can trigger drag with a clash motion combined with holding aux with the blade pointed upwards instead.

The other possibility is that you have a curved hilt with the card installed at an angle - if that's the case then setting hdrag requires a bit more thought and experimentation..
Yes It is a Graflex install towards the pommel. Still very hard to get it to activate. I figured leaving it at 0;512 would make it easier to trigger since anywhere just below horizontal down should trigger it. But still 99.9% of the time it just activates a regular clash.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »
What am I doing wrong?

Yes It is a Graflex install towards the pommel. Still very hard to get it to activate. I figured leaving it at 0;512 would make it easier to trigger since anywhere just below horizontal down should trigger it. But still 99.9% of the time it just activates a regular clash.
Ok - back to a question from before - are you able to get force clash (force2.wav) to trigger repeatably? Drag should be just like this, but with the blade pointing down, and holding the aux button rather than just tapping it.

Also could you let us know your motions settings, in particular hclash.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:29:32 PM by MikeyX »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »
works as described by MickeyX, depends on (mostly) 2 things : the clash threshold (hclash) and the lockup trigger delay (too short, and you'll jump into lockup). If you end with a clash, you're not pressing your aux switch prior knocking the blade.

@MickeyX : beta round finished, I'll push a beta on my website this morning if I have the time, with the few corrections you suggested and a couple of additions.

[edit] : pushed (let me know !)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:42:45 PM by erv »

Offline Tatyana.o

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2019, 02:36:12 AM »
Erv, would you like for this bata update to be announced in the Facebook group, so more people can test it (if they like to) or is this designed for specific people?

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2019, 05:01:21 AM »
works as described by MickeyX, depends on (mostly) 2 things : the clash threshold (hclash) and the lockup trigger delay (too short, and you'll jump into lockup). If you end with a clash, you're not pressing your aux switch prior knocking the blade.

@MickeyX : beta round finished, I'll push a beta on my website this morning if I have the time, with the few corrections you suggested and a couple of additions.

[edit] : pushed (let me know !)
I've tested the beta and the latching switch works perfectly now - thanks!  :grin:  Also tested it on an LED strip with the new setting for the bladeplisize setting which is also great. Gave the sabers a little workout and everything else seems fine as well.

With the latching switch saber I tried qkignite on and off and it works just how I'd want it to given those settings. Waking from deep sleep with qkignite=0 it plays boot sound and then ignites if you latch the main switch on, and the aux switch just boots it normally. With qkignite=1 if you press aux it also just plays the boot sound and is then ready to go, and if you latch the main switch it skips the boot sound and ignites as fast as it can - this is perfect IMHO.

This leads to a suggestion though - is it possible to get the qkignite to operate that way with a 'normal' dual momentary switch setup? I've tested the beta and it operates as before in that configuration - the aux switch ignites the saber as fast as it can just like the main switch does - it feels wrong to me for the aux switch to ever ignite the saber, and it would be great if it just booted the saber in that instance - maybe that's just me though - other opinions are available  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:10:16 AM by MikeyX »

retrousse