fiduciary

Author Topic: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!  (Read 24636 times)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »
 :cheesy: :cheesy:

What I'm about to say is going to blow your minds ;but, Rey is Luke's daughter !! Just wait and see. :evil:

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
Saw it last night.

I loved it.
There were flaws - of course.

My biggest issue was the saber battle(s) - as already pointed out above - someone who just picked up a saber is not going to be a match for a trained swordsman. period.

That aside - I loved the tie-backs to ANH, the scenes, the (slightly modified, but still recognizable) quotes and the obvious corollaries between characters.
Remember -- they are trying to recover fans after the debacle that was the prequel trilogy

I loved Kylo Ren, overall. His whinging actually made sense and will, IMO, make his a good character arc over all 3 movies.
He is under the influence of a bad man...   he's not quite there yet, and he knows - deep in his heart - that he's not doing "the right thing", but he's drifting down, little by little -- and finally takes that huge step, killing his father.
(excellent death scene of Han, BTW - completely in line with the core, ADULT character (as opposed to the juvenile smuggler that he used to be and seemed to be trying to keep a facade of at his intro in TFA)

Now...  for the theory:
My friends and I came up with 2 ideas...
1- Rey is Luke's daughter.
2- Rey is Han and Leia's daughter and possibly the twin of Ben/Kylo. This preserves the Skywalker twin syndrome... ties a little bit into the EU stuff and makes the eventual final showdown between Kylo and Rey to be much more angst-ridden. She was taken by Luke...

both scenarios tie in to the same concept after that, though
Luke left her on Jakku (for some undetermined reason) on his way to the Jedi temple.
That's why the old man with the map was also on Jakku.

After all -- I did predict that Kylo Ren was the son of Leia and Han. :)

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 06:56:02 AM »
I agree, Rey is Luke's daughter. The lightsaber is being passed through the family. It seemed strange that her and Leia hugged but had 'never' met, although Leia looked like she reconised her. But I'm wondering who's x-wing helmet did she have, was it from the battle of Jakku or is it from a parent. It looked like R3B written in aurebesh on the side (?)
Plenty of seeds being sown for sequels, prequels, and back stories for big screen, tv and books

Offline rabbitdragon

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Ok, I am going to chime in here on the Saber battle at the end.  Just my 2 cents so not trying to start anything and do respect other points on this.  Kylo Ren had been shot and just killed his father so both physical injury and psychological injury.  Both of these would have affected his skills in combat making him weaker.  I was pretty sure Finn was taken really young and trained as a storm trooper.  Being trained most of your life in a military setting he would have been trained in different defense and fighting skills so he would not have been a rookie with a weapon even a lightsaber.  Fins hit with the saber was a lucky hit or a skilled hit both could have happened which just further weakened Kylo.  So Kylo has been shot, hit with a saber blow, killed his father and been bleeding out for a while as shown by the blood on the ground.  Rey also showed some fighting skills in the beginning when she takes out the 2 attackers so again some kind of skills (and she had her pike type weapon, we know she is force sensitive which gives her some advantage even if she does not know how to use the powers just like Anakin could pod race without training.  In the end she was going against a very very week Kylo at that point.  To me it seemed very possible.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
:cheesy: :cheesy:

What I'm about to say is going to blow your minds ;but, Rey is Luke's daughter !! Just wait and see. :evil:

What if she's RENs sister?
Would explain the bond type relation she had with han
I mean they both know the force her and ren??
Maby leia didn't tell Han about her before they parted?

Ah only 2 yrs till we know

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline onigiri34

• Experienced Force User
  • Swoosh Swoosh that's the sound of the saber!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Is Snoke (supreme leader) Darth Plagueis, he definitely looked like he is from the Muun race? 

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »
if Luke skywalker abandoned his daughter in the hands of Simon Pegg with no intention of ever coming back for her, then I give up.   I can't get behind that.  what self-respecting Parent abandons his toddler, AT THE MALL, much less, on a desert planet surrounded by aliens that don't care about her?

I see only 2 possibilities:

1).  Luke left his daughter with Simon-Pegg-in-a-rubber-suit, with the intention of returning for her, WITHIN DAYS.  he ran into trouble.  he got stranded on the Jedi Temple Planet, with no ship / no hyperdrive.  he had no way of leaving the planet.  he had left a trail of breadcrumbs in R2, in case he ran into trouble, but nobody was ever smart enough to figure it out and come rescue him. until now.

2).  Kylo left her on Jakku.  he was told by Snoke to kill her, along with any other jedi younglings in Luke's care..  but he couldn't bring himself to kill his own family/sister/cousin/whatever.   instead he left her on the garbage planet as a way of discarding her, taking her out of the game, without actually bringing himself to kill her.  this is his weakness:  he is "tempted by the light side".   this is why he had to kill Han: to redeem himself in the eyes of the supreme leader. (after failing to kill the girl, many years ago).

kylo knows something about "the girl from jakku" -- he reacted strongly when she was brought to his attention -- he knows something about her.  this much is obvious.
(he may be the one who left her on jakku in the first place , as a way of hiding his 'light side tendencies' from his supreme leader, he was tasked with killing her, but at the time he was "too weak" to kill her --- now he's not anymore, as witnessed by what he did to Han) 
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Drewbacca

• Padawan Learner
  • Fly Casual
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Well I have to say that it was basically A New Hope rerun. It was a great film and action packed (I'd give it a 8/10). Still, many questions were raised without details. I do think that Rey shouldn't be able to fight or use the force so efficiently when not trained at all. Also, Finn easily maneuvered the lightsaber without much training. It was great seeing the old cast and the humor elements in the film were great! My favorite character so far (of the cast) is Poe Dameron by far. The X-wings fighting looked extremely realistic and was so much fun to watch. Also, the music score seemed to be a little off at times. Well, that's enough critical stuff. Overall, I thought it was a really great film and I can't wait for the next two!
Fly Casual.

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
I wondered if Rey has had her memories changed somehow, and actually had been trained as a Jedi. It would explain her skills not only with the Force and the lightsaber but also her ability to understand other languages and pilot/fix starships.

When Kylo is interrogating her, he sees an ocean and an island... Sound familiar? I think she's already been with Luke at some point.

Ah, the joy of speculation! :)

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
"through the force, things you will see.  the future.  the past.  old friends, long gone."

(doesn't mean she was with him on the island)  :wink:
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Namine

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 06:30:14 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie.  Due to the hype, I set my expectations a bit lower, and wound up happy with the movie. 
While I hated seeing Han die, it was done well in my opinion.

I was surprised at how strong Kylo was with the force, and was not surprised he wasnt all that strong with his lightsaber.  It shows where he focused most of his training.

I was disappointed that Luke was only seen for the last 5 seconds of the movie.

I think Gen. Hux was a bit too over the top (a bit too dramatic).

Ultimately, it answers some questions as to how things got to where they were, and of course asks a few more questions (is Rey Luke's daughter? Where did Snoke come from and how did he pull Ben from Luke and his parents).

I will be watching it again next weekend (yea, only seen it once.. :)  )

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:22 AM »
I've only seen it once thus far and while the movie was predictable, I found it really entertaining.  I'm planning on seeing it a few more times in the theater.  It had a darker vibe than I was expecting.

I wanted to add a thought or two to Wedge's assessment of Rey and Luke possibly being her father.  Perhaps once Ren turned, he either fought Luke and left him for dead, or stranded him on the island with no means of escape, and took Rey with him with the intention of killing her.  Ultimately because he couldn't bring himself to do it, he abandoned her to the desert dwellers as a scavenger.

Or perhaps there is no relation to the Skywalker's or Solo's.  I especially doubt any relation to Han or Leia as their daughter.  They would have said something to her, or mentioned her in some capacity.

I think that while Rey's force powers were strong, she was able to beat Ren in duel simply because she's been raised a scavenger her whole life and had to fight just to survive and with Kylo Ren being wounded and not extremely adept at using weapon, she was successful in besting him.  Perhaps that is likely to change in future episodes.

For all of the emotional reactions to the trailers, while I got goosebumps, I admit I never cried.  But I did get a bit misty eyed seeing Luke's face.  His character, to me is the heart and soul of the series, and I can't WAIT to see what he is up to in the next movie(s).

Psab
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:45:05 AM by Psab Keel »

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2015, 08:24:20 AM »
I think that some great points have been brought up regarding Rey's ability to fight-
A. She's force sensitive, so she already has the instict to do so
B. She was raised on a desert planet and has been a scavenger her whole life- as she said, "I think i can handle myself"
C. Her saberstaff thing is a pretty close comparison to wielding a lightsaber- she used it all the time

I don't think necessarily think Kylo had anything to do with her beginning, but it certainly is something to ponder. She is probably not Han and Leia's daughter, they would've known and said something.
I think for sure all the details will be revealed in Episode 8, which by the way, for those of you counting, is only 521 DAYS AWAY!

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
I'm liking the theories laid down by Wedge. But I need to know the significance of the x-wing pilot doll and the helmet

Offline EyeoftheRaven

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Anybody think that the way they killed Han left the door open for a return if they change their minds down the line?  The body disappears into the pit, and both Luke and Darth Maul (while cut in half!) survive these long falls due to chutes and ships etc. 

To be clear, I do think he's dead, but I notice the movie convention of "there's no body to bury" in play, which leaves a small door open for a reveal later that he was saved and his wound treated by Snoke so he could use Han against Kylo should the need arise (or some other similar scenario).

retrousse