fiduciary

Author Topic: Clone Wars not canon  (Read 11452 times)

Offline mostwanted

• Padawan Learner
  • I might reply late, I need my sleep ;-P
Clone Wars not canon
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »
I don't consider the "second" clone wars series canon,one simple reason Darth Maul alive? wtf, if he could live after getting sliced into two then qui gon jinn could of survived from a stab wound,ohh now lets give him a brother and make him a force sensitive as well,come on, i thought they could do better than that  :(

also how can people hate the prequels when they should be hating on the clone wars(2),not even my little sister could watch it and she loved anakin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:12:04 PM by mostwanted »
Sold - Quigon jinn Lightsaber

Sold -Korbanth Duke

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: Clone Wars not cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
Good thing that consumers don't decide what is and is not cannon ;)

Offline Asoka Tano

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
to each his own
VV Kanan Jarrus ("Dume")
VV Obi Wan CW ("Negotiator")
VV Sith Acolyte

Offline Avendale Yellowcard

• Formerly known as Jonny B
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
ignorance is bliss.... I looked at the show as entertainment nothing more. It was a way my son and I could sit together and I could share my love for everything Star Wars with him. As a dad I wanted something to make memories with. Kids only stay young for so long. :-\ I wish I could get some of those Friday nights back to spend with him again.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Good thing that consumers don't decide what is and is not cannon ;)

+1 :))

Facebook: VVFB

Offline WookieeGunner

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Although you might not consider it canon, Lucasfilm considers it more canon than everything except for what George Lucas personally wrote, so yeah, officially Darth Maul survived being cut in two just as well as Anakin survived lava.

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
Although you might not consider it canon, Lucasfilm considers it more canon than everything except for what George Lucas personally wrote, so yeah, officially Darth Maul survived being cut in two just as well as Anakin survived lava.

I guess all this proves is that there is no good way to kill a Sith ... unless they're killing each other  ;P

And yes, i'm still waiting for a headless Dooku to make his return...

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Don't forget Lucas sat in on or has even hatched everything put on the small screen. The buck stopped there. It IS canon.

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline lgtsbr

• Force User
    • Saberbelt.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »

And yes, i'm still waiting for a headless Dooku to make his return...

Great, now I'm picturing a Sleepy Hollow with Lightsabers..........The Headless Sith/Horseman........ :P

Dave

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
Right. GL executive produced the show, made numerous changes to the plots and settings. Mad that Jango and all his clones aren't mandalorians? Blame the guy who owns the universe. His daughter wrote some scripts too. It is as official as official gets. Tough Bones.

More importantly though, remember that this is a work of fiction, and should be enjoyed for what it is, not what you think it should be. Cannon is irrelevant. I greatly enjoyed the Marvel comics from the 70s and 80s. They are not "Cannon." Should I stop enjoying them? I love the Thrawn Trilogy, Corran Horn, and Imperial Knights. If E7-9 decide that it "didn't happen" should I purge them from my memory? No longer cosplay, build sabers or read material on them? Certainly not. STAR WARS inspires me to imagine, and I control that realm. I enjoy the CW far more than the prequels, because I think they are better written, better shot, and remind me more of the OT than the prequels. That's my opinion. If GL decided to retcon these things, they would still exist within my memory, and continue to inspire my own imagination. I don't need a stamp of approval from Disney for that.

Like what you like.

"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
Required reading: Canon - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Specifically the bit about the classification levels, G/T/C canon.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
Re: Clone Wars not canon
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
Canon is a very subjective thing to me.  What I think is far more important is continuity.  As stupid as it is to have Maul survive (because in Maul's case it IS stupid), if people like it, great.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

If a character dies in a story, there better be a really good explanation for why they would return to the story.  For Maul to die the way he did and come back as a spider, just to have some flashy fight with the Jedi, doesn't seem all that impressive to me. 

I think that bringing back SOME characters makes sense in certain context, but if they bring people back left and right, doesn't it mean that death in this universe has no real consequence?  You rob a story of conflict and you have no story.  It wouldn't shock me if Dooku's head was brought back to life (as another person pointed out.)  Which is another stupid idea by the way.

I personally prefer the story to have some basic logic that could be followed, without resorting to pandering by bringing in characters just for the sake of having fanboy surprises.  I just think the writing can be MUCH stronger than it has been. 

These are just my thoughts on it.  I know that people enjoy the CW series for many reasons, one of the main ones being that they can watch it with their kids.  To each their own.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:43:20 PM by Psab Keel »

Offline mostwanted

• Padawan Learner
  • I might reply late, I need my sleep ;-P
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
below: yeah thats what i'm trying to say :D

Canon is a very subjective thing to me.  What I think is far more important is continuity.  As stupid as it is to have Maul survive (because in Maul's case it IS stupid), if people like it, great.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

If a character dies in a story, there better be a really good explanation for why they would return to the story.  For Maul to die the way he did and come back as a spider, just to have some flashy fight with the Jedi, doesn't seem all that impressive to me. 

I think that bringing back SOME characters makes sense in certain context, but if they bring people back left and right, doesn't it mean that death in this universe has no real consequence? You rob a story of conflict and you have no story.  It wouldn't shock me if Dooku's head was brought back to life (as another person pointed out.)  Which is another stupid idea by the way.

I personally prefer the story to have some basic logic that could be followed, without resorting to pandering by bringing in characters just for the sake of having fanboy surprises.  I just think the writing can be MUCH stronger than it has been. 

These are just my thoughts on it.  I know that people enjoy the CW series for many reasons, one of the main ones being that they can watch it with their kids.  To each their own.  ;)
Sold - Quigon jinn Lightsaber

Sold -Korbanth Duke

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 02:22:45 AM »
Mad that Jango and all his clones aren't mandalorians? Blame the guy who owns the universe.

Now is this an actual thing with some follow-up facts and official retconning by GL or DF? I just thought that statement by Almec was more of an off-handed insult than an actual fact, cuz he a Jango-hater.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
Yep, laid out as the word of the Maker on season 2 of CW special features disc. It was Geroge's decision.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

retrousse