fiduciary

Author Topic: Lawgivers ! (pics intensive)  (Read 9941 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Lawgivers ! (pics intensive)
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »
No exactly a SW prop, right ? but I though I'll post it here too, it's been a while since posted it over the RPF but I recently completed a second one (airsoft version this time). So there you go.

I thought I will post a build log of a kit I bought from SD studios. I recently proposed to provide a new version of a Lawgiver version of my Blaster Core sound board.
It's almost done, that build log is meant to serve as a visual guide for the install of the electronics, for those who will do it themselves.

mine has a few little variants from what SD has proposed for his fully built LG but overall, the principles remain the same. The main difference is that I used a model gun as I wanted a display piece with realistic looking bullets. I know, it's a pain to load and clean but I don't expect to use PFC aside of a couple of demos. Another LG with an airsoft is planned too anyway.

Also, this thread will help (I hope) people to patient a little bit more and see the possibilities of the electronics.

so... I started that project when the kit was first sold, then paused  cause I didn't have a place to spray paint... back at work on it again. I  finished blaster core v4 3 weeks ago and had the plan to port the LG  firmware on it, and things converged pretty fast in the past 2 weeks, after tuning specs with SD studios.

Long tribulations to source a beretta M9 model gun to France, what a mess. I ended up in japan with semi ghost company and couldn't get the shells, then sourced the shells in the UK but now I'm almost sure they are too short. Designed for a M84, juuuust a bit shorter, the new PFC won't bang properly as they don't perforate, so they bang, blow back but no smoke and no sound LOL
[actually leaves some expression possibilities for the BC4]

Recent pics of stuff I did a year ago (already ? really ?)

satin paint job is decent but perfectible

ammo clip in place with foot part

threaded holes for slide attachement

adding the greebly on the reload mechanism. Per discussion with SD, a 2 pin system was a good solution (and JB weld)

Glued !

Still have to paint the second half of the gun. To protect the silver area, I used Mecanorma tape, old school PCB design technique to protect what you don't want to etch. Good tack, removable residues (very little) and paint/water proof.

Then maskol (latex paint) to seal thin tape with blue painter's tape and ready to go !

another view

mag release greeblie. Threading both sides and giving a clean shave cut to the knob with the lathe.

4mm M3 set screw is perfect for the job

done

Lever after 2 coats of silver with the airbrush (I keep practicing) : invisible pins (almost... the camera sees them but I don't)

I finished the paint job on the remain half. As I'm not sure of the paint I used for the 1st one, I took the risk to add one extra coat of satin black to ensure "color" (if I can say so) and mosly gloss level are the same.

some progress.

right side shell was too thick for my model gun slide. That's the last trimming required to have the kit fitting that very gun (very few mods, really, just dremelling here and there)

installing clear styrene backing so that I have something to glue the leds on later.

Installing some wires, checking length

Speaker install - to be tested but the eye piece could provide a small rear resonant chamber

Hall effect sensor that I'll use for the main trigger and ammo clip detection

Experimenting with dyed resin for the red windows (SD idea). Didn't find the right pigment but that glass stain / paint seems perfect. It's solvent based so it should mix well with the glazing resin

First test is too weak, second one is good but the color pigments have "migrated" in the corners. Still, the shade starts to be nice

To be continued. I should get prototype PCBs for the side leds this week. Leds have been selected and tested individually, so I just need the panels to start the actual and final wiring of my prop, and validate the electronics, then ship a prototype.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:20:28 AM by erv »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Re: Lawgivers ! (pics intensive)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:03 AM »
some progress. Converging quickly to the final thing... Nice, after a year  :ohwell

Side leds. White SMD leds, low profile enough to fit under the gun even with the PCB.
Those white leds have a large beam with the additive that produces the white light. The whole yellow area becomes white with a large angle.

and they are SUPER BRIGHT (even at 10mA)

diffusion test with 7-segment display filter
as expected, too close = beam / spot

at a few mm of distance, you start diffusing.

Assembling some side panels PCBs for those leds

let's start the assembly / wiring. I frosted the clear styrene backing with 240 grit sandpaper to improve initial diffusion. I also inclined the PCBs to avoid a direct light beaming thru the windows. Board is secured with double sided foam tape. You'll notice the flashing PCB extension so that I can keep working on the firmware without disassembling anything.

tidy wiring  :045:

with the gun installed

Rear lights. Assembled on some perf-board that I also use to install the hall effect sensor of the trigger (those are part of my customization, SDS full builds will use switches which isn't worse or anything). I just love those sensors, but they for sure complicate the install an require some more wires to be routed.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:48 AM »
Made some more space on the trigger mechanism, as the magnetic sensor a the perf-board + wires were eating up a couple of precious mm.
I also drilled the rod to install the magnet.

Second panel on the left half of the gun

I made the install at 99% on the right side of the gun. This way it's easy to disassemble.
The aux. switch (ammo selection) is at the top of the grip. The magazine sensor is also a magnetic sensor with a small magnet installed in a recessed area of the mag. It will be painted "gun metal" later to have it merely invisible.
To activate the aux. switch, you just need to squeeze the handle in a certain way.

Almost there. Missing the red windows. Off to the hobby shop today to find some alcohol based inks to dye the resin.

The bullet view with the slide locked is what made me choose the model gun for that prop.

lights

Battery setup. Works for both 9V battery and 2 x li-ion cells (14500)

switch isn't final, not happy with the placement of this one, I'll fix this today

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:51 AM »
I started toying a bit with high speed photography and I figured a LG model gun would be nice to picture :love

here what I got during the lunch break (please excuse the mess of the white paper background, other experiment have been going on, and a few spills :lol)

and part of the photo shoot,
here's The Anti-causal Matrix Oracle tomato (don't ask me, I don't how why or how...)

and the olympic diver tomato

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:12 AM »
after someone (LDR ?) mentioned the dolphin an full auto beretta, I search again to acquire one as I wanted to keep a PFC gun to play with and for display.

I kind of regret I didn't know more about model guns / PFC guns when I started the lawgiver project otherwise it's THAT GUN I would had put inside. I suspect my first marushin was not brand new and I had my problems with the receivers and I suspect the slide spring is tired, it's ok for my LG.

This is the Phrobis M9 (aka "dolphin"). This one as a single / full auto selector. xxx nice  !

a little video of the full auto mode, it's fast !

Phrobis (aka "dolphin") Beretta Model gun - YouTube

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:28 AM »
decided it was time to assembly my second SD studio LG so that I can bring it to the FACTS con. This one is the full auto version using an airsoft gun (all metal).
SD studio paint job is awesome, flat black with textured grip (slightly satin, different black paint).

The red resin was slightly too transparent, still too much flaring even with the paper diffuser. So I used PU milky resin, very good diffuser.
 Some plastiline to make the border, mix, pour, usable 10 minutes later.

The trigger switch will not be using a magnet on that one, as the transfer bar is a piece of ... on that gun (cigarette paper) and it easily slips out of the slide rail too. So I'm mounting the switch on the gun itself with a tiny limit switch, which as a registration pin which is great to stabilize it mechanically even when you press the trigger a lot of times, it's not supposed to be pushed back [same as SD installs I believe]

marked the limit of the transfer bar with a scribe. The bar is actually making a small arc in the move, so the switch won't be totally lined up but slightly angle to receive the final punch of the mechanism which matches the moment when the hammer goes.

PU resin as a diffuser for the rear leds

I hate to mod a gun permanently. I drilled an tapped the fire selector to ensure it will stay in full auto BUT I can remove the set screw to put it back to semi auto.

Lining up the trigger switch wires

DNA recognition switch and mag detector installed on the rubber grip this time, so that almost nothing is attached to the gun at the end (aside the trigger switch). Another good tip from SD.

Quick M3 milling in the mag (no, without piercing the air tank) to host the magnet, totally flush with the gun magazine. I'll paint it gun metal with the airbrush later

Video :
Second Lawgiver MkII (SD studio casts) - YouTube
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:40:14 AM by erv »

Offline cordaroyfog

• Master Force User
  • Just your friendly neighborhood Fog...
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
::tries to comment but just falls down::

Offline Veldryne_Drakx

• Experienced Force User
    • River City Jedi (site still under construction)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »
Looks great erv. One of these days Ill get around to a blaster build...

Having been an avid airsofter for so long, I can tell you Ive had mixed feelings about marushin for a while. They look nice enough but arent really the most durable and easy to work with pieces.

There are some up and comers in the airsoft industry that you may be able to track down easier, and if you have got the equipment to mill things out, make them look pretty good.

Any 1911a1 variant that is tokyo marui compatible...and you end up with a boatload of different slide options as well, some milled out very nicely to give it a unique look.

Something modeled after the tokyo marui 1911 desert warrior 4.3 tactical could be an amazing little hold  out blaster.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »
if only marui was making model guns.  The airsoft (all metal) gun I got is very nice except the transfer bar that is a piece of ...
Too bad marushin often stays on the cheap side and offers 1/2 metal model guns, that's the sad thing. Not that their fibered plastic is bad per say, it's just... not the same thing as all metal. They weight the same at the end so the look and feel is really nice.

so far, nothing compare with a model gun (except a blank firer) in terms of mechanics and sturdiness. An all metal airsoft is great but the mechanics are really cheap. I love so much how the model gun field strips and gets all the realistic fancy noises :-)

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »
 <jaw drops> wow, thats beautiful. i just love blasters, they are just so beautiful.

Offline Veldryne_Drakx

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »
if only marui was making model guns.  The airsoft (all metal) gun I got is very nice except the transfer bar that is a piece of ...
Too bad marushin often stays on the cheap side and offers 1/2 metal model guns, that's the sad thing. Not that their fibered plastic is bad per say, it's just... not the same thing as all metal. They weight the same at the end so the look and feel is really nice.

so far, nothing compare with a model gun (except a blank firer) in terms of mechanics and sturdiness. An all metal airsoft is great but the mechanics are really cheap. I love so much how the model gun field strips and gets all the realistic fancy noises :-)

You could also try playing around with KJW they have some in full metal, as well, if you can your hands on it, they have a line of them where the lower reciever is a semi transparent nylon fiber, that would really good to gut and turn into props.

The reason for the semi transparent nylon fiber, is in canada, up until VERY recently....thats the only way our government would let airsoft guns into the country.

Our friends stateside think orange tips are a pain, try having the lower half of your gun be transparent.... ugh

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
Yo buddy, I'm so impressed by what you've made this time.
Sci-Fi movie don't need special effects with your gun, nomore.
I'm not familiar with this air guns, but they look incredible.
The loading and empty Led effects,... pffft speachless.

Are this guns also real airguns?
If not,... can they be made usable for PS3 or Xbox?

Man I cannot believe how cool this is.
I emailed this link to a few friends of mine.

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
saw this on youtube a week ago its an incredible blaster i just love that recoil kickback its intense and soooo realistic well done erv really great build
this blaster introduced me to the "gas blow back" bb guns which i didnt even know existed they are awesome and are incredible realistic and i hope to get one some time im looking at a desert eagle hard kick model apparently one of the best available

oh and by the way guys anyone wanting a law giver forget it they are super rare at least ones like this are.. iv already tried lol and if they do come up they are $$$$$$$$$$

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Veldryne_Drakx

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
saw this on youtube a week ago its an incredible blaster i just love that recoil kickback its intense and soooo realistic well done erv really great build
this blaster introduced me to the "gas blow back" bb guns which i didnt even know existed they are awesome and are incredible realistic and i hope to get one some time im looking at a desert eagle hard kick model apparently one of the best available

oh and by the way guys anyone wanting a law giver forget it they are super rare at least ones like this are.. iv already tried lol and if they do come up they are $$$$$$$$$$

eh DE hardkick are overrated, if you are wanting it for plinking in the basement or going to a local game there are better options

replacement parts and upgrade parts are also an issue for them

absolute best bet is a pistol that is Tokyo Marui compatible (but it doesnt have to be tokyo marui brand) things like KWA and KJW both have TM compatible sidearms

and something along the lines of a 1911a1 or a glock17, 23, or 19, or beretta m9 or px4 storm.

more upgrade/replacement hammers/springs/hop-up/tight bore barrels/magewell lips/replacement magazines etc

plus when buying mags do not cheap out and get the lesser brand, always get a marui magazine if at all possible even if its a kwa or kjw pistol the marui magazines hold gas better, without leakage.

with a gas blow back pistol always mix a couple drops of silicone oil into the magazine fill valve before filling it with gas

sorry to derail a bit erv, but if anyone has any questions about the airsoft gear to use for props, or just plinking shoot me a pm and ill try to send you in the right direction

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
I do have other options for plinking outside, indeed  ;D

The kick is nice and "realistic" with quotes (it moves, it shakes a bit), that's the goal, but it's just a prop replica, nothing I take outside or to play games.
thanks for the tip about the silicone. The alternative is to fill the mag with silicone added gas once for a while. I'm not worried about oiling, the prop will be used like twice a year and I don't think it's going to fire BBs too often.

YT corp and KSC has some full metal model guns but they are very rare. Finding those second hand in europe is extremely difficult. There was a fantastic stock in the UK and I was originally that close to get a full auto M9 but... shop closed and never re opened. Sourcing caps and shells is difficult too. I regret I can't purchase anymore one time use / disposable cartridges. I believe that's what they use in movies, no way someone fills by hand dozen of mags lol.

retrousse