fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Wan Kenobi 'Epic Reveal' saber - COMPLETED  (Read 41149 times)

Offline DeanPJedi

• under review
  • Padawan Learner
Re: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Wan Kenobi 'Epic Reveal' saber
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »
I'm a new member but long time Lurker and I've been thru your website countless times.

I pride myself on using all resources I can muster to do a saber I am proud of....honestly though, its always good to know of someone who's craft is on a Michael Jordan level in the hobby as it provides inspiration and envy to help promote everyone's imagination.  Not many of you out there!  Every sabre build I see from you just makes me dream of owning your gorgeous work! 

With you it feels so humble too....some strive to become popular or have hobby power to get praise or show off....you sir just seem to have tedious pride and just do it because you love it!!  The accolades you receive are just a side affect and people seem to drop any jealous drama and just appreciate that you are generous enough to show us a good look at your stellar achievements.  Makes this growing hobby feel like something bigger! !

Perfect and amazing!  Always a fan here!
Star Wars Project Guru and Saber builder/collector:
LS6 Korbanth ROTJ Luke w/PC 2.0--conversion by Calvary Custom Sabers
Makotosai Super V3+
KOTOR Generic Hilt w/US 2.5.  Made by myself
Hate-- mhs darkside saber.  *in progress*

Sabers on bench-- MHS hilt custom w/ PC 2.0.  Purple 10W darkside saber.

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
I'm a new member but long time Lurker and I've been thru your website countless times.

I pride myself on using all resources I can muster to do a saber I am proud of....honestly though, its always good to know of someone who's craft is on a Michael Jordan level in the hobby as it provides inspiration and envy to help promote everyone's imagination.  Not many of you out there!  Every sabre build I see from you just makes me dream of owning your gorgeous work! 

With you it feels so humble too....some strive to become popular or have hobby power to get praise or show off....you sir just seem to have tedious pride and just do it because you love it!!  The accolades you receive are just a side affect and people seem to drop any jealous drama and just appreciate that you are generous enough to show us a good look at your stellar achievements.  Makes this growing hobby feel like something bigger! !

Wow, I am very grateful for your kind words... I really appreciate it.  So glad you are enjoying these builds.  They're more therapy and personal challenge to me than any kind of attempt at grabbing attention.  The main reason I documented everything in the beginning was so I could go back and see what I did, more of an ongoing journal so I could keep track of the things I do. But it has become a new kind of joy to share these things with the hobby.  I am humbled by the praise, and thankful for the place to share.

Thanks a lot, I mean it.

In other news, now that I am back from Vacation, here is some progress on the weathering of the emitters...

And now it's time to weather the emitter. A small jelly jar that my emitters fit in, and some Birchwood Casey bluing chemical.

Trying to get both emitters as close as I can. One got a little darker than the other, but I think it's close enough. These were apparently from different runs, and I am unsure if the same steel was used in both sets.

I'll oil these up and they'll darken a bit, and that will preserve the finish and keep them from rusting or oxidizing further.

Offline Obi-Wan Bologna

• No Force
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »

I totally agree with you man. Sloth does such amazing work! The detail work on your sabers is just of a whole nother caliber. I also hope to have one of his pieces of art one day. Esp. one of his ANH weathered Obi wans. My holy grail of sabers for sure!

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »

I totally agree with you man. Sloth does such amazing work! The detail work on your sabers is just of a whole nother caliber. I also hope to have one of his pieces of art one day. Esp. one of his ANH weathered Obi wans. My holy grail of sabers for sure!

My holy grail as well, and possibly the TPM/AOTC Obi.

Almost done with the weathering, I think I need to do another pass to the windvane fan, and maybe the grenade a bit darker.

I also need to patina the upper neck a bit, especially the groove and underside of the blade anchor, as I like how my other two Obi's look compared to the new one. Although I am liking the contrasts of my new emitter much better than the other two.

Offline Obi-Wan Bologna

• No Force
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »
Those are absolutely breathtaking! Anyway, do you call your shop Slothfurnace because you happen to be near the Sloth furnaces? I drive by there quite a bit and am not really all that far away from there. Cool place.

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »
w00t! incredible!!!  :o  imo this will turn out as one of the best sabers i've seen so far... i'm really digging your work and you inspired me with your build logs more often than you can imagine!  :) keep up the great work!

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »
Wow, just wow. Looks absolutely amazing!

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
Thank you all!

Front of the blade anchor machined to fit the wires, LED string base, foam diffuser and outer plastic diffuser.

Upper neck weathered, blade anchor drilled out a bit more for correct depth, blade anchor holes drilled, tapped and countersunk.

A little rocket surgery before bed, and the bladed grenade/emitter section is complete!

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
dude! can't wait to see this in person at the prop party in Feb. ^_^

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
dude! can't wait to see this in person at the prop party in Feb. ^_^

If it's not done by then I don't deserve to go!

An unplanned bit of work here. I had originally bored out this Russrep aluminum booster on the left for use in this saber, but it just didn't look right to me. Very black, slightly uneven machining, and a bit light. Thanks to a fellow forum member, I snagged a steel version of the same booster made by Russrep. This was much better machined, matched the coloring of my grenades, and is a much better weight. Boring this one out was a lot easier than the first one, as things get easier the more you repeat them. I am much happier with this piece now. It's fitting with closer tolerances, so no brass shims needed, and it looks much better. Time well spent, as my grandfather used to say.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:10:53 PM by slothfurnace »

Offline Jagged Fel

• Experienced Force User
  • "I know lesson one.Don't grab the glowy end."
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
I have been following this with great interest and can't wait to see it when it's finished with the string blade :)
It is beyond amazing what you are doing here with the ANH Obi,a saber that brings warm memories from my childhood,awsome job!
Sabers so far:

Luke V2,US 2.5 with crystal chamber(by ALuke123)
MR Vader ESB
MR Luke ESB
MR Luke ROTJ
MR Obi-Wan ROTS
Leia(work in progress)

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Jeebus, man what I'd give to be in on a run that had this much detail in an Obi!  I'm perfectly happy to be getting one from LDM but I'd love another just like this!

Here's me begging for a future run!  LOL

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

Well, it's finally time to light her up.  See what works, see what doesn't.  Crystal chamber is pretty neat, lighting progressively along with the blade.  It also flickers each LED corresponding to Accubolt flickering of random segments, which is cool.  It also flicker clashes with the blade.

Around a year and a half in my brain, a little over a year in production, and we have a lit blade.

The little illuminated ring under the emitter works ok, about like my other sabers.

These last shots were at a power setting of 425 out of 511.  

At 475 out of 511, it gets a little crazy.  This is with me setting the camera exposure correctly for the room, THEN turning it on

Letting the camera self adjust to the brightness gives this kind of pic.

Left to do: Set swing sensitivity, clash settings, select volume and brightness settings for each bank, finish the NON bladed grenade section.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:44:13 PM by slothfurnace »

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
WERD!!! Total ruler!  Can't wait to see video too!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Jerome

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »
Wow! That is darn bright and super cool! I've been watching your build all along and it's great to finally see it all come together! A truly one of a kind saber.
Vintage Graflex Luke ANH
Vintage Graflex Luke ESB
Rylo limited run Luke ROTJ
MHS custom "Excelsior"
Russrep Luke ROTJ V2
Russrep/Romans Obi-Wan ANH
OR Qui-Gon TPM (WIP)
Parks Obi-Wan TPM (WIP)

retrousse