fiduciary

Author Topic: A Guide For New DIY Sabersmiths (SUGGESTION TOPIC)  (Read 14721 times)

Offline JediJudoChop

• Force User
  • I'mmm crushing your head!
Re: A Guide For New DIY Sabersmiths (SUGGESTION TOPIC)
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »
If you haven't done it already in your next big update a section about MR FX / Hasbro FX L.E.D.'s would be very helpful for those of us that are still Saber smith Padawan's. I bought a cheap MR FX saber used and have black spot to repair. I have no clue what type of L.E.D. to look for.   ???

BTW: Soldering, I can do. But I'm sure theres a ton of people out there that have never tried it.
A TUT on proper soldering technique would help a lot of people to get started ((safely)).  ;D

(]////[oo]\\\|(=================================>                                     Raja naba zoola gola wookie "nosey" pinchy?

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »
Usually, repairing a single LED on a ladder is more trouble then it's worth, which is why most people choose to convert them with a removable blade and a 3W LED.  I'm sure that thought has crossed your mind and obviously, some people don't want to loose the ramping effect from a stock MR.

If you plan on doing that, I would say try to find an LED ladder from the same type of saber so that it matches the color and intensity of the other LEDs.  If your trying to repair an Anakin ROTS, find an Anakin ROTS saber. And honestly, it would be easier to replace the whole ladder.  A lot of people sell the ladders when they're done stripping out the soundboard.  Maybe put a wanted in the Trade Federation.  Warning though... it's not easy to do (replacing single LED's on a ladder)... I've done it twice... and would care not to do it a third time. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:52:55 AM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Darth Frodo

• Experienced Force User
  • Ahhh..Does not compute..Ahhh..Your under arrest
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
I would love to see a complete step by step video of wiring a US 2.5 .... it would be very handy ...... and what about a vid on cutting out overlays

Offline JediJudoChop

• Force User
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
Usually, repairing a single LED on a ladder is more trouble then it's worth, which is why most people choose to convert them with a removable blade and a 3W LED.  I'm sure that thought has crossed your mind and obviously, some people don't want to loose the ramping effect from a stock MR.

If you plan on doing that, I would say try to find an LED ladder from the same type of saber so that it matches the color and intensity of the other LEDs.  If your trying to repair an Anakin ROTS, find an Anakin ROTS saber. And honestly, it would be easier to replace the whole ladder.  A lot of people sell the ladders when they're done stripping out the soundboard.  Maybe put a wanted in the Trade Federation.  Warning though... it's not easy to do (replacing single LED's on a ladder)... I've done it twice... and would care not to do it a third time. 

Good luck.

I'm very interested in what you posted.
Why is it so difficult to repair these LED ladders?
Is it more than just 2 solder joints?

Are single LED's like these not sold unless they are from some secret stash only found on these LED saber ladders?

If you want to take this to a new thread we can, I can move this.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:34:08 PM by JediJudoChop »
(]////[oo]\\\|(=================================>                                     Raja naba zoola gola wookie "nosey" pinchy?

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »
So with all of that being said. I'm very interested in what you posted.

No.
very small  solder points.

If you're used to soldering on tiny PCB points.... then this should be a breeze for you.  But probably not for a novice. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:09:14 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline JediJudoChop

• Force User
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »

No.

If you're used to soldering on tiny PCB points.... then this should be a breeze for you.  But probably not for a novice. 

Oh ok, great. If you or anyone knows the spec on these LED's so I can search for an exact replacement.
Or a good place to get them that already deals with saber parts I would really be grateful!  ;D

TCSS said they do not deal with those.

I imagine I will need to try and find one with a bin # that will be very close to the rest in the ladder to avoid a bright or dark spot.
I have considered buying another used (3 cell AA) Vader tree and just replacing the whole thing. So far that cost is around $15-$20.00 shipped.
If that is the only way to avoid a mis-matached LED in the chain, then that may be my best option.

Oh and yes I have considered converting this saber. But I really like the Power up / down effect.
So I may end up taking Chewbacca's offer on a used Vader blade complete with the LED ladder.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:22:10 PM by JediJudoChop »

Offline lord-bane

• No Force
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
I really like erv's tutorial on mounting electronics in you hilt i think i will be doing my
hilt this way.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »

No.

Good call there. 

I would also like to mention that each LED has a small resistor on the ladder.  These are surface mount, and if you use too much heat near them, they can come off or be damaged in the process.  Great care and precision must be implemented, and for the untrained, it can be quite a daunting, and even frustrating expense in futility.

One thing I do recommend:  Depending on the model of FX, some LEDs are actually not visible in the chain.  Anakin ROTS, Darth maul, and the Luke ANH come to mind here.  If you have an LED that goes out higher in the chain; Mid blade for example, you can easily remove one to four LEDs from the base of the ladder, replace them with an LED that may be a bit off color, and use the transplanted LED higher in the chain.

I have done this on a couple of Darth Maul Strings that had a couple of dead LEDs and it worked pretty well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:23:01 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline TroyO

• No Force
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
How about this one....

Make it work OUTSIDE the hilt first! I know it's a simple suggestion, but I have certainly learned the lesson over and over again that it is wise to check all of your components out and make sure they work (And work together) before you commit them to a hilt.

This means to wire the items together on the bench first and give them a fuctionalality check before you permenantly wire them together and insert them in to a hilt. It not only makes sure that things work, but it also is a good test to make sure you have a good handle on how things are wired and that your wiring is correct.

Offline GAknight

• No Force
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
Only if I had the money to try out some of these good ideas!
Georgian... and Jedi knight

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »
unlocked and bumped:

This is not a topic to solicit your sales/wares/and personal agenda. This is an informative topic. Discussions, chit-chat and postwhoring will be deleted.

If u have a tutorial, post it.

Offline Vctrsone

• No Force
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
Darth my reply had a small tutorial in it and it was about building custom hilts from brass and copper.  so I guess well see if this gets replaced with off topicc flame/ranting again.

I make custom brass and copper hilts and am willing to share my designs and tricks with any one who wants them.

I had posted a little guide on making heat sinks and led holder but darth vader here deleted it. it involves using copper sheet. you cut a circle to the size of your hilt with four legs coming off each edge, you then bend the legs all up at about a 75 degree angle so that when you push it into your saber the legs have to be squeezed in. this acts as a spring and and will hold your led or transistor perfectly in the middle of your tube..really easy to build to and has worked a charm for me..ive got two sabers using this method to hold and heat sink the leds and to do the same for the transistors. this method means you dont need to drill holes or glue things in..it can be slid out and then pushed back in easy as.

(free help darth vader I never mentioned selling or solictating anything only how they could contact me for FREE help...I dont sell anything....)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:04:38 AM by DARTH VADER »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
If you have a tutorial, post a new thread in data sheets. http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

No one will find it here, when they need it.

Darth Vader will deal with you himself.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:47:40 AM by JANGO FETT »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse