fiduciary

Author Topic: A true universal saber?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
A true universal saber?
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

I thought I would share this amazing work by JediArmsDealer (Master Maltais).

It is very possibly the first of its kind, a true Universal Saber, capable of changing between all three major blade types by simply plug-and-play.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: A true universal saber?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:33:51 AM »
This kind of cross-compatibility is the future.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »
Same idea here, more so because RBG LED modules and neopixels can use very similar engines in software. Now we see a lot of inspiring works to ease saber assembly with custom plugs and this is one examle of a successful project to unify the hardware interface to cope with multiple blade types.

For me personally it was inspiring to see that hardware-wise one hilt can be made to work with different blades, now the next step is to offer a software which can be configured on the fly to switch between then. It's well within the reach of open source saber OS's.

If I had some experienced software guys to work with on such challanging projects  :wink: ...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
I've had a couple generations or working prototypes. It's been a few months since I've had time for lightsaber stuff, but I should be getting back into it soon!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
This is truly great.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
This is truly great.

While kind of awesome, RJ45 connector aren't suitable for high power.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
This is truly great.

I did cringe a bit at that..

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 05:37:35 AM »
This is truly great.

The guy who made this universal saber kept mentioning a secret type of blade connector he had developed, but because of the nature of a secret he did not mention to me what kind of connector he used. Where did you get the info he is using an RJ45? Might have missed something but I do not recall having heard him mentioning it in his video...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:50:21 AM »
You can see it in the video.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
I believe you guys, I'm not an expert on connectors... it is time Master Maltais unveil his secret (or you guys do it for him, hehe).

Offline Whosle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
Aviation connectors, like what Profezzorn, Jbkuma, Slothfurnace (and myself) are using.

The more pins the better, so you can split up the power leads and reduce the amps going through the individual pins (5a per pin I think is max).

The Teensysaber instructions show how. There is even a great little 3d printed adaptor Profezzorn designed, and made available for free on thingiverse. It Works great. Even if you don't plan on building the teensysaber, there are lots of good instructions on how to make different blades. The normal luxeon adaptor is very clever, and makes it easy to sneak into movie theaters (yes I will be that guy).

The little cat/rj45 connector doesn't look robust enough.

Had to mention, I hope that TCSS goes with a similiar concept.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Aviation connectors, like what Profezzorn, Jbkuma, Slothfurnace (and myself) are using.

The more pins the better, so you can split up the power leads and reduce the amps going through the individual pins (5a per pin I think is max).

The Teensysaber instructions show how. There is even a great little 3d printed adaptor Profezzorn designed, and made available for free on thingiverse. It Works great. Even if you don't plan on building the teensysaber, there are lots of good instructions on how to make different blades. The normal luxeon adaptor is very clever, and makes it easy to sneak into movie theaters (yes I will be that guy).

The little cat/rj45 connector doesn't look robust enough.

Had to mention, I hope that TCSS goes with a similiar concept.

They have something else brewing:
https://www.facebook.com/GenesisCustomSabers/photos/a.493908813955163.123267.480456258633752/1716555865023779/?type=3&theater

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
I think it's important for us to step back and appreciate how far the NeoPixel blade concept has come in a relatively short amount of time.

LED string saber evolution - this might change the way we think about LED string

I'd like to say thanks to racemaniac on the Arduino forums for first introducing to Obi_1 (aka Protonerd) this concept. Also, of course thanks to neskweek, jbkuma, and Obi_1 for spearheading the development into the first full-on publicly available multi-blade-type saber implementation by way of LightsaberOS/FX-SaberOS and DIYino. I have yet to try one myself, but so much groundwork has been done that the path is pretty cleared for me. So, thanks guys for all of your hard work!

Now, if someone could just find me a cheap source for reliable NeoPixel strips...

Offline JediArmsDealer

• No Force
  • TFWBWY...A
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Greetings fellow connector aficionados...While it is true that aircraft plugs can handle more current than an RJ45/Ethernet connector, not all RJ45 connectors are created equal. There are higher-end Cat6/Ethernet connectors available that can handle up to 1.5 amps per connection x 8 and you may have to dig a little deeper on the internet for a more robust type of connector that can be repeatedly plugged and unplugged but after using my current choice of connectors for well over a year now, so far so good. I did have one brand of the female socket type fail after a few months and stopped using those of course, hence let the Jedi Trials begin. After using many types of aviation plugs on many types of aircraft in the Air Force I was ready to try something different for proof of concept and my project more or less became an experiment in what could be done outside the community box and admittedly I was curious to see if the RJ45/Ethernet connectors could handle the documented current rating of 1-1.5 amps. Also these types of connectors can be easily plugged in inside the hilt in complete darkness or inside a con for battle quickly and effortlessly. I discovered the plug drops into place almost every time and there is no looking down the emitter to get the pins to line up every time like with an aviation plug. The reason the RGBW Cree blade did not drop in right away in the video is because it is the only blade where the connector and bulb thread into place so there is a looser fit on the female housing inside the blade. A solution was found immediately after the video by adding a few layers of copper tape to better center the male connector and help transfer more heat away from the Star LED. The secret blade connector that I mentioned to Andras in our first communication was not so much the RJ45/Ethernet connector but was the way I was mounting these connectors inside the hilt and inside the blade using threaded male and female brass and aluminum housings to also help transfer more heat. What's really nice about this design is if for any reason the lifespan of the Star LED does expire, a new module can be mailed out to the customer and replaced just by threading it back into the blade and not having to potentially disassemble the entire hilt and chassis to get to the LED module.
Now with all of that novel typed, the video that was posted here in this thread is definitely the future of Lightsaber blade connectors and will soon possibly render this discussion mute. I'm very pleased to see that someone has finally miniaturized a design that has actually been around since the inception of the first rotating aircraft and stationary radar dishes where multiple points of electrical contact are needed to be made with a full 360' azimuth rotating radar dish. This design has also been used in R2's head over the years to allow it to rotate 360' and now thankfully it will soon find its way into our Lightsabers>>>>>>>
I'd also like to take a moment to Thank everyone who has been involved in the Arduino/DIYino/Stardust Lightsaber OS project for their hard work and dedication to creating something truly Amazing and also appreciate the builders in the community who always have many positive things to say and contribute to our Lightsaber endeavors!!
So a Very Special Thank You to Space Windu, Jakesoft and Andras for being the Zen type of Jedi in the group who are always positive and complimentary and looking forward to a better and brighter Lightsaber future>>>
You guys make the Universe a much better place and I foresee much success in whatever you create<>

PEACE-KNOWLEDGE-SERENITY-HARMONY-THE FORCE
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:41:33 AM by JediArmsDealer »

Offline JediArmsDealer

• No Force
  • TFWBWY...A
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »

retrousse