fiduciary

Author Topic: Second Lightsaber Design  (Read 2623 times)

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
Second Lightsaber Design
« on: March 11, 2019, 11:46:49 PM »

This is my latest. It is using a Brewboard with FX-SaberOS.  I modified FX-SaberOS for a 5 Neopixel accent/status bar, case removal detection, blade detection etc.  The second button is hidden and activated by squeezing the hilt, like Active Edge on a Google Pixel phone.  When the case is removed, it activates another hidden switch to go into "maintenance mode".  I made 2 versions of a sound font by taking clips from the movies.  One uses the hum from Obi-Wan's saber in ANH.  The other uses Luke and Vader's together from ROTJ.  The clashes, swings and blaster effects are from the movies or cartoons.  They're pretty basic sound fonts, but I wanted to do as much as I could myself on this saber.  I figured I would learn more that way.

Power on and Sound Effects

Configuration Mode

Internals

Music Player

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: Second Lightsaber Design
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
There are many things I like about this one, but especially that it's got things that I haven't seen before. Congratulations on your custom firmware! Beautiful work.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »
I can't begin to express how much I love seeing FX-SaberOS put to use in this way!  Great job, and thank you for sharing!

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
I also Love this build very unique excellent work man! I really like the maintenance mode on open... And of course nice to see Brewboard being used. Thanks for showing this.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

What you guys have created is perfect for people to tinker and build upon.  The heavy lifting has already been done and I can just play and create.  It was a challenging and enjoyable project.  If only the Arduino Nano had more flash memory...

Originally this was going to be my test saber with the internals accessible for testing out new ideas, but it evolved over time.  The "maintenance mode", for lack of a better term, came about because it occurred to me that since I was using a switch for the "active hilt" switch (Did I just coin that?), I could do the same for the case and would have another way of using the Neopixels.  I had to make some changes to put all other functions on suspend when the case is off because I would occasionally bump a switch when removing or attaching the case and it would ruin the effect.  The Neopixel accent bar currently has a couple of functions that can be adjusted for speed, but I hope to expand on it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:59:13 PM by BipeFlyer »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:20 AM »
If only the Arduino Nano had more flash memory...

I do have designs for a 1284 based board, which would have 4x flash and 8x RAM.  It is designed to be a little more for the hackerish type, so no FTDI on board and as many pins as possible are broken out.  I have a working prototype with a mostly working port of FX-SaberOS.  I have considered doing a small batch of these.  They are designed as one sided boards so that they could be assembled by hand.  As designed, the board is 22x70, or roughly the size of an 18650.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
That is a sweet looking board!  I love hacking and playing with new ideas, which is why I've been using the Brewboards. The extra pins, flash and RAM are just what's needed for the next level. I think it would be great if all of FX-SaberOS could be loaded and automatically configure itself to the blade being inserted.  I wanted to do that with mine using the blade detection function I made, but there ust wasn't enough space, so it just tells you if you insert the wrong blade..

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
That's rather nice.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
I do have designs for a 1284 based board, which would have 4x flash and 8x RAM.  It is designed to be a little more for the hackerish type, so no FTDI on board and as many pins as possible are broken out.  I have a working prototype with a mostly working port of FX-SaberOS.  I have considered doing a small batch of these.  They are designed as one sided boards so that they could be assembled by hand.  As designed, the board is 22x70, or roughly the size of an 18650.

If FXSOS can be ported then so can STREAM... hmmm...  :smiley:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 02:59:10 AM »
I know I'm late to the party, but that is one impressive bit of chassis work. And FXSaber-OS, too. Nicely done!
Better late than never.

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
Cool design, reminds me of Kanans saber from the SW Rebels show.

retrousse