fiduciary

Author Topic: Exact colours of CREE XP-E2 LEDs  (Read 2017 times)

Offline RobDogs

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Exact colours of CREE XP-E2 LEDs
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm somewhat new to custom sabers, but I'm interested in constructing my own. I've decided to use the CREE XP-E2 LED for the saber, but I'm not entirely sure how each colour would appear in person. I'm fairly set on using the red CREE XP-E2, but I'm worried that this LED would appear more orangish in person, like my friend's saber that he bought from a saber manufacturing company. If I am to construct a red saber, I would like the blade to look close to a blood red, not orange. If someone who has experience using red CREE XP-E2 LEDs could tell me how they appear in real life, it would be much appreciated. If someone could also tell me how bright they are, I would appreciate it also.

Thanks!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Exact colours of CREE XP-E2 LEDs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »
They are definitely red and they are the brightest available which is why we use them. Outside of that it's going to matter how you make your blade. I prefer day blades or enhanced blades for fixed color, it has the benefit of looking good when it is not lit.

Offline TheUnchosenOne

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:48:40 AM »
If you're looking for a really deep, blood red, you should probably try the deep red Cree LEDs.

Offline ABQThor

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 04:47:16 AM »
Rob Dogs in my experience especially with red which requires the lowest voltage out of all the colors it truely depends on what they are binned at, voltage & amps. They are so cheap to buy these days and I'd recremend that you get a voltage regulator(step up or down converter) and a heatsink to mount it to to pick the red color you like best. Keep in mind these things can be overdriven about 1.5 times without issue, truthfully this may only have a range of mayby 50 nanometers of light but you'll gain some lumens if over driven.

retrousse