fiduciary

Author Topic: Finally I've got mine, but it's no winner.  (Read 11077 times)

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
Finally I've got mine, but it's no winner.
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
Yip,... I received mine thids evening.
At first when I took it out of the box, it felt cold so it looked like metal.
Also it felt verry big.
Yes, when you put the Ani side by side, it is a bit shorter, but that's also makes him look thicker.
Also the grips give it an enormous big feeling.
I thought this saber was smaller than the Ani, but NO.
It is verry light, and that makes the blade to heavy for it.
When I swing with it, it sounds like it would snap off the hilt verry easy.
It is verry creacky.
After holding it in my hand for a while the hilt gets warm, and yes,... it feels verry plastic.
I'm not entirely sure of it, but when my kids hold it in their hands, they say the same thing.
We all are verry glad that I didn't sold my Ani, because I've putted this new saber back into the box and place it on the internet for the same amount that I've payed for, including shipment and tax.
That's €106,-- it is much cheaper than buying it in a store here for €139,--.
My son didn't dare to play with this one, because he was afraid it would brake easely.
He always played with the other sabers.
It is better than the Hasbro's because of the electronics, but that's it.
The brightness is a tiny bit better than my Ani but only because of the inner film, but it's almost nothing.
I expected more, because of the two year time difference between this Luke ANH and my Ani, and progress that they could have made.
The sound is dimmer than my Any too.
When I think about the battery 'bottom-cap, I would say,... this hilt has to be aluminium, because its hard to put the cap in and I think it wont survive a five times battery change when the hilt is plastic and the bottom-cap is metal.
I'm not going to check this again because the box is nisely closed now for the selling, and I don't care anymore.
This saber was a real bummer for me.

It gave me a lot of respect for my Anakin ROTS do.
I have the later version.
The first edition was verry light too.
I did hold it ones in a moviestore.

I would say I give it a 4 out of 10.

I also would advise, not to buy this one.
I'm going for a Obi-Wan ROTS now. That one is fully metal.
Ohh and YES I also received my full Maul and that one is awsome.
It feels like the real thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 03:57:48 PM by Darth Matth »

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline rob

• Experienced Force User
  • What Would Porkins Do?
Re: Finally I've got mine, but it's no winner.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »
Great review. This saber stinks.

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
So, just to be clear, the hilt of this saber is definitely plastic?

If that's the case, then the saber has definitely changed since I got mine. My Luke is unabashedly metal.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »
Let I put it this way:
When it is metal (I'm still not sure) it defenately feels plastic.

It's almost unbelieveble, because they made the Vader ANH from a ESB and that one is VERRY GOOD.
So why not with this Anakin to Luke ANH saber?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:24:29 AM by Darth Matth »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »
Great review. This saber stinks.

Opened mine 20 minutes ago... I couldn't agree more. >:( MAJOR disappointment.

Offline Darthmischief

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »
WoW!

I'm so excited! I'm going to rush out and buy one- NOT!  Too bad because the Vader ANH 07 is very nice! As is the Yoda. Ah well...
 Maybe Andy has one of the only good ones. I wonder if the manufacturer pulled a fast one on Master Replicas for this batch?
 Who knows maybe it's even got lead paint on it! DO NOT CHEW on your saber...

I guess I'll just have to live without any Luke sabers but the Green bladed ROTJ. Which is less than stellar! The red paint bugs me!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
WoW!

I'm so excited! I'm going to rush out and buy one- NOT!  Too bad because the Vader ANH 07 is very nice! As is the Yoda. Ah well...
 Maybe Andy has one of the only good ones. I wonder if the manufacturer pulled a fast one on Master Replicas for this batch?

I guess I'll just have to live without any Luke sabers but the Green bladed ROTJ. Which is less than stellar! The red paint bugs me!

Hey Darthmischief... I have three words and two roman numerals for you to consider! ;D

................Yoda's Graflex IV Or V..................

That is all!

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »
WoW!

Yeah, I dunno. I wish you guys could take a closer look at mine, because it doesn't look or feel like plastic, it doesn't creak or feel cheap at all.

Not that it really matters for the rest of you...even if the saber did change, that won't make the new cheapo sabers any better.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
I've got the feeling that Andy's having the FX-Q version (SW-605) that was on the 2007 plan from MR, and I think that at the end of the year MR comes out with the full metal one.
Although I thought that the FX-Q would be a detachable blade-saber.
If they release that in November, and everyone place their order, MR can deliver those till 31-3-2008.
enlarge the picture below of the FX-Q anouncement
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:49:25 PM by Darth Matth »

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:54:31 PM »
I dunno about FX-Q...my saber seems to have all the same details as everyone else's. Mine just seems overall somewhat more solid.

It's definitely a bit lighter in weight than past FXes. The balance point with no batteries in the holder is about a half inch above the very tip of the hilt, whereas on, say, my Vader ESB, it's just below the tip (still on the blade though, inside the slanted part of the emitter cowl). However, it's not an extreme difference, and the lighter weight to me is a plus rather than a minus. I have a feeling that some people are merely overstating the "plastic" thing.

I'd kind of like some input from the other guys who got theirs back when I did, i.e. Wedge and Kit.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
Me too.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
In reply to Andy, I received mine wayyyy back when the first batch went out in June, so I guess we would have the same saber as well (if there IS indeed a cheaper, second model).  

I agree that it's metal - a very light metal - but definately metal.  I also agree that its light weight is a plus, the same way the light weight of the Luke ROTJ was a plus for that FX.

This saber is far from perfect - and it CERTAINLY isn't a Graflex IV, but it's also not as horrible as it's made out to be.  Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:38:37 AM by Jedimoves »

Offline RedPlanet

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »
Its definatly going to feel alot different than the Anakin because there completly different materials.  The Anakin's hilt is made from a Chrome plated steal pipe.  So if the luke is aluminum its going to have a very much lighter feel to it.  I personally have not see one yet so take it for what it is.  They havent released a saber yet with  plastic body so I dont see why this one would be. 

Either way, there are much better options for haveing a Luke Esp VI or V saber.  REAL GRAFLEX or Parks Replica hilt is pretty easy to come buy and not that hard to convert. 

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
The first run of the Anakin ROTS was an aluminum tube with plating and was MUCH lighter than it's later versions.

After taking a closer look at the saber. it's not all that bad with the exception of the MAJOR flaws (creaky blade, HIGHLY noticeable casting seam on the "bulb retainer clamp band", and SUPER muted sound)

The hilt tube is DEFINITELY metal, but it does feel very "plastic"

The synch pins are indeed metal and the detail in the round ports is very good.

I just have issues with how the saber is constructed, and that the hilt is a little too lightweight for my tastes.

As I stated in other threads, it's okay for a wall hanger, or a donor saber for sound or to be modded into a Vader ROTJ.

Nice try MR...but no dice! :-\

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »
I have one coming on preorder from MR, and another one that I recieved in June. 
(I bought one for me, and one for my son)
I'll compare them side-by-side when I get the second one.  it hasn't shipped yet. 

from my impressions of the one I got in June, the shell is definitely "real" aluminum.
but its pretty thin,  and aluminum is really lightweight to begin with.     *shrug*
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

retrousse