fiduciary

Author Topic: FS: 7/8" OD thick-walled dueling blades  (Read 21708 times)

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
  • Member of River City Jedi
FS: 7/8" OD thick-walled dueling blades
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
For sale - 7/8" outside diameter thick-walled dueling blades (made with clear polycarbonate): $40 each + shipping + 4% paypal fees)

I wanted some 7/8" dueling blades for my Korbanth sabers and could not find any for sale, so I decided to make my own.  Now I use them with a 7/8" adapter in all my 1" OD hilts as well.  They're just awesome: quicker handling but still durable.  I have the following blades ready to go, but I'm always making more:

1  of the 36" blades 
0  of the 34" blades 
3  of the 32" blades 
4  of the 30" blades
2  of the 28" blades 

Features include rounded shouldered tips with center-drilled reflectors (for shine through tips), clear polycarbonate tubing (7/8" OD, 5/8" ID, with 1/8" walls), four wraps (4x) of blade film, and lightly sanding for double diffusion.

Improved impact resistance and reduced flex are the biggest benefits over thin-walled in my opinion, but I also like how the "core" lighting effect is more pronounced in the 7/8" thick walled blade due to the reduced inner diameter. Due to the inner diameter, I’m using 6 wraps (6x) of blade film to provide adequate diffusion throughout the entire blade.  Most people will probably want 32” or 34" long blades. But saberstaffs & padawan sabers may prefer shorter lengths like 28" and 30".

I will include 1" adapter for a $1 for those that would like to use these in a 1" blade holder. After all, these are a nice alternative to a 1” thick walled blade. Please ensure to specify the length you need for your blade socket (ex. 1.5", 2", etc).

Shipping will depend on where the package is going, but seems to range anywhere from $15USD to $25USD for Canada & CONUS. But I am willing to ship worldwide for forum members - preferably with parcel tracking – but if the customer wants the lowest rate they may have to assume the risk of “no parcel tracking”.

Either way, my shipping charges will only reflect the cost of postage & packaging. But given the awkward length it is still expensive, so I recommend buying multiples or sharing shipping with a friend wherever possible. All finished blades with ship with a dust cap to prevent debris from getting inside.

Here's how to order: simply reply to this thread or PM me with the quantity you want and your desired lengths.  I'll then PM you for your shipping quote and include my paypal address.

Various Blade Lengths of 28", 30" and 32" paired with VV Fury Elite, VV Dark Havoc, and DA Slimline Kota respectively).
Note that each hilt uses the appropriate blade length to produce the perfect balance point (i.e. a couple inches in front of where you grip the saber).  These sabers are balanced perfectly on the wooden display below.

More Background:
With all the Korbanth 7/8” saber runs, I found myself looking for an alternative to the 7/8” thin-wall saber blades commonly used. The problem with any thin-walled blade is that they can dent (and even break) under heavy sparring, and are also too "whippy" when swinging them around. This flexing is even more noticeable upon impact.

So to fill an unoccupied niche, as well as provide my saber club (River City Jedi) with some quality dueling blades, I’ve ordered the supplies needed to make 7/8” thick-walled (1/8” walls) saber blades in the following lengths: 28”, 30” 32”, 34”, and 36". And the only way to make this cost effective was to order a lot of it, lol.

As for how it handles, it is slightly lighter and not quite as stiff as a 1" thick walled blade (as one would expect). But it is noticeably stronger than a 1" thin-walled blade (1/16" wall thickness) and far less whippy. I've hit it quite hard against another 1" thick walled blade without so much as a scratch, but I haven't engaged in any "destructive testing" yet - like the old blade meets tree trunk test. But due to the smaller inner-diameter, good blade film is necessary to provide adequate lighting of the entire blade. And I really like how it looks when lit up; is has that skinnier blade look common to SW Clone Wars and SW Rebels.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:20:19 AM by ShadyCanuck »
Do or do not. There is no try.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
Re: FS: 7/8” OD thick-walled clear polycarbonate saber blades
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
Bump.

Offline noyl wendor

• Master Force User
    • waypointsabers
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
x2 36" tubes, x2 tips, x2 blade film.
"I don't deal in exotic weapons"

Offline tomleech

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
I'll definitely take a few at 36, just need to figure out how many I'll need and whether I'll get them shipped to the US or UK :)

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »
I'll definitely take a few at 36, just need to figure out how many I'll need and whether I'll get them shipped to the US or UK :)

Tomleech - Your mailbox is full, so you'll need to clean it up to receive a shipping quote ;)

All other PMs have been responded to and the availability count has been updated in the OP.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
Counts updated on the OP.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Two more 28" blades sold.  OP counts updated.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
Bump.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »
Updated the counts in the OP. 

I've also started center drilling the reflector on the tips to make a "shine through" cavity in the tip.  Seems to work pretty well; on par with Mylar reflectors in my opinion.  It has less reflector surface area but a better mirrored finish.  And the light seems to fill the drilled cavity better to light up the tip (i.e. the total surface area in the drilled cylindrical hole is greater than a simple circle).

Offline Ray-Den

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »
PM sent

Offline Drahcir

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »
I'm interested in a 34" one.

Offline Ezra

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:32:42 PM »
1x 30" blade to 92833 please

Offline GreaSyde

• Force User
  • I always wear a lightsaber.
    • ACMEsabers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 05:25:51 AM »
Hey Shady, sent some guys here from Facebook for ya.
Only two there shall be. A master and an apprentice. One to embody the power and the other to crave it.

Offline Ezra

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:45:06 AM »
Any way we can get bullet tips?

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Hey Shady, sent some guys here from Facebook for ya.

Thanks for the referral, GreaSyde :)

All PMs sent and/or replied to for shipping quotes.

I didn't go with bullet tips for these blades since they are primarily intended for dueling.  And dueling with bullet tips can be downright dangerous (as anyone who has ever been caught with a bullet tipped thrust can attest to).  Plus, my Dueling Club (River City Jedi) only allows rounded tips to be used in class for that very reason.

retrousse