fiduciary

Author Topic: 2nd scratch built custom saber build log  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
2nd scratch built custom saber build log
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »
So I've started a new saber and thought I'd share some progress as I go along...

I'm planning on this being another neopixel build, Sith style this time.

I set three goals/challenges for myself as a way of learning some new stuff and including some cool elements I'd like, which are:

1) to have a curved section to the hilt
2) to do some etching
3) to do some exterior 'reveal' type detail to help get a handle on doing a 'proper' reveal hilt.

After a fair bit of graft, I'm pleased with how the curved part has turned out (and relieved the process to bend it worked out). I'll be filling the gaps with epoxy steel putty type stuff and then it'll be wrapped with black leather. Plan is to have a front straight section with shroud on one end and pommel on the other.

So far:

...and steps getting there:

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: 2nd scratch built custom saber build log
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:38:23 AM »
mad bending skills *applauds*

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
Sweet! I can understand how the notches make the material more able to bend, but how did you actually get it to bend?   Heat, Pressure ?
Nice work!

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:45:46 AM »
Sweet! I can understand how the notches make the material more able to bend, but how did you actually get it to bend?   Heat, Pressure ?
Nice work!

I'd say inserted a rod of 50 cm and pull (momentum / torque effect)

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
Nice work!

Cheers fellow Seth!  :wink:

Pretty much what Erv said.

It's machined from 1.5" outer diameter, 1" inner diameter tube so held it in vice (diagonally) and have a long bit of 1" round aluminium round bar, so slid that in to just before the cuts/slots for 1st 'segment', and carefully bent it, repositioning in the vice a segment along and repeated for each segment. Hope that makes sense. If I'd thought, I would have taken a photo while I was doing it.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
I'll join Erv in the applause. That's real clever Seth.  :cool: I like the look of it before the wrap.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
Cheers Greenie! I quite like the look in progress, gives me ideas for future bits, but looking forward to getting the slots filled and wrap done and seeing how it looks then. Hopefully will update soon.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Minor update - filled slots with some epoxy putty. Think this could actually work alright for a curved bare hilt section for a future project...

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:17:32 AM »
...a bit more progress again...

Thinned down leather wrap to half-thickness, weathered end sections, blackened and mattened piece for leather wrap to minimise shiny bits peeping through and applied wrap (which I found a bit tricky compared to a regular cylindrical piece  :embarrassed:). Onto the next section, which I need to make my mind up what the for plan is...

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »
I've hit a bit of a hurdle with this and working on rough ideas for something that's a bit more work/ambitious than I originally planned, but makes a more interesting design, as adding a straight tube to the curved bit with shroud(s) just didn't feel like it was going to be something I was happy with when I started making the front tube bit. The idea is to follow same approach of working with lathe and then milling pieces (like with the flattened sides on the grip to break up the circular tube shapes and symmetry and hopefully make for something more interesting that looks cool. Made a rough sketch (excuse the not-all-that drawing) to give a starting point. Defo needs working and refining, but gives and idea of where to (attempt to) take it.

Offline ShadyCanuck

• Experienced Force User
  • Member of River City Jedi
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
Minor update - filled slots with some epoxy putty. Think this could actually work alright for a curved bare hilt section for a future project...

THIS ^^^ is brilliant!  Well done (cue slow clap...)
Do or do not. There is no try.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
Looks great so far, brilliant work! I really like the way it looked with just the epoxy too!

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
Go for it, it looks like you did the hardest part and it looks amazing!

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
Cheers gents!  :smiley:

I was both happy with the leather wrap and sad to see the bare metal with epoxy hidden - defo something I'd like to pick up at another time to do 'on purpose'.

I've decided to (try to) make the front piece from a single slab of aluminium, rather than tube(s) and add shrouds and detail, etc to that - much doodling and running though processes in my head and ordering a couple of bits of tooling online. Hopefully will work out well; one concern is that it may end up looking a bit more like a blaster and less like a saber, but enthusiastic to follow where it wants go...

retrousse