fiduciary

Author Topic: Profezzorn's first build (graflex 2.0, teensy, prop shield, neopixel led string)  (Read 43796 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Finished my third blade today, using 2 x 144 led/m strips. The diffusion worked out good enough. (It would have worked out better if I could have used a transwhite tube, but the inner diffuser just didn't fit. For some reason the transwhite blade are slightly smaller, both inside and outside. Also, I didn't do a great job on the packing foam wrapping, so there are a few creases, which show up on the blade, but are not overly visible.

The blade is a little brighter than the PL9823 blade, but perhaps more importantly, it is also lighter than the string blades, making it easier to swing around. Now I just need to update the instructions. Also, I'm going to make a video to try to compare the brightness of the blades.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Brightness comparison time...

From the top:
  • simple string blade made of ~150 x 30mA, diffused with packing foam only
  • 2 x WS2811 strips, 144 leds / m, packing foam, inner diffuser tube, clear outer tube
  • 97 x PL9823, packing foam, inner diffuser, trans-white outer tube
  • Black Series Luke Skywalker Force FX Lightsaber

I was a bit surprised by the results myself, I did not realize that the two neopixel blades are nearly identical in brightness, even though the strip blade draws more power and has more LEDs. I also did not realize just how much brighter the string blade is than the other ones.

Of course, the neopixel blades are running at 1/3rd power here, since only the blue LEDs are on. Here is what happens if I turn blade (2) to white:

As you can see, at full power, the neopixel blade is pretty darn bright.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Got my photon tube today. It looks like I can squeeze a 7/8" blade inside it... with a hammer.
I was hoping that it would be easy to slide a blade in and out of the photon tube, but that's not going to happen, so I'm probably going to make another LED string blade and shove it inside the photon tube.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
Will be interesting to hear the result: the thicker wall will dull the blade but the photon brightens it.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
I really like the look of the all white #2

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
I think the camera is exaggerating it a little, and it's not a perfectly clean 5000k white, but it is still pretty cool. :)

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
And you've had no problems with the back-to-back strings at 180degrees to the chips? No shadow?

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board

I secound it! From the pic it looks like it can take it on with the traditional LED string.

I'm now really itching to use my 2m of 144L/m to build a "better resolution" pixel blade.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
And you've had no problems with the back-to-back strings at 180degrees to the chips? No shadow?

It's not perfect, but it's quite good, much better than "good enough" in my opinion.
I have some imperfections in my foam padding wrapping, and those are much more noticeable. It's only an issue when you inspect it up close though.

I'm not sure if it's important, but I'm using the skinny 7mm strips, which might help reduce any shadows on the side.  Definitely need to use 144 leds / m strips, 60 leds per meter is just not enough.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Btw, unprotected batteries are fun. (If you like smoking electronics)

My newest blade is a bit tight to insert in the blade, so it requires some force to insert. This somehow caused something to get bent in the blade connector, causing a short and my lightsaber started smoking.  The battery I'm using is capable of some pretty spectacular amps (100 amps for ~10 seconds.)  But it looks like nothing was actually damaged.

I had a similar problem with one of my earlier blades (but no smoke), and I fixed it by filling the female blade connector with hot glue, which I think I will do for all my blades, and recommend that other people do it too.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner

I secound it! From the pic it looks like it can take it on with the traditional LED string.

I'm now really itching to use my 2m of 144L/m to build a "better resolution" pixel blade.

I'd like to point out that my "traditional LED string" is pretty powerful; It draws about 4.5A.
The white neopixel blade probably draws more than that, so it *should* be pretty bright.
(The specs says it might draw as much as 17A, but I don't think it does. I have not measured.)

Offline hybridtheory

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
    • Command Atlas
I thoroughly enjoy reading your DIY lightsaber project, but couldn't download the Teensy Saber Firmware (lighsaber.ino) from your website: fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/  Was it removed for some reason? Thanks.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
I thoroughly enjoy reading your DIY lightsaber project, but couldn't download the Teensy Saber Firmware (lighsaber.ino) from your website: fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/  Was it removed for some reason? Thanks.

I renamed the file to include the version number, but forgot to update one of the links.
Should be fixed now, let me know if you still have a problem.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Did some work on the LED adapter today, teaser shots:

It's not particularly pretty, but that's not really the point since you won't see it once it's inside the blade holder.

Offline hybridtheory

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
    • Command Atlas
Still no luck with the Teensy Firmware file, when I clicked on the link, the webpage returns "Sorry! That file was not found.  Hubbe.net is constantly being updated and re-organized and the file you were looking for was not found. fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/lighsaber-1.14.ino"

retrousse