fiduciary

Author Topic: poor mans tattoine darth maul.  (Read 10274 times)

Offline cylon

• No Force
  • blah
poor mans tattoine darth maul.
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:16:04 PM »
... or how a lightsaber became a flashlight.. then back to a lightsaber.

lets start from the beginning.  my goal was to have a single blade with a full hilt.  i know that lots of people do this by getting their darth maul converted to luxeon.. which then gives them the option to configure their saber however they want.. which is great and all, but costs a good bit of money to do that.  i decided that i really didn't want a double saber to begin with, (hard to swing around the house) and i wanted to do it the cheapest as possible.  so after weighing a few different options, i found an obscure little thing on the ultra sabers website, hilts that were turned into flashlights.  theyre 50 bucks, are gutted out of all their electronics and the blade and a luxeon is put in to make it into a flashlight.

enough talking, here are some pics.

the thing that sucks the most is the switch for the flashlight not matching the red ones.  other then that, its a pretty good deal, if youre like me and just want a cheap tattoine maul.

overall, the saber cost me $70 dollars at borders, and the flashlight cost me $50 dollars from ultrasabers, netting me $120 dollars for the whole deal.

Offline djforce

• Master Force User
Re: poor mans tattoine darth maul.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »
I would have kept it the same but you could have just bought a broken maul instaed of a new one

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:54:55 PM »
Thats pretty cool

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:10:35 PM »
Very cool
I think I'd consider doing that actually

I really want the full hilt without the other blade

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 07:21:17 PM »
Hmmmm... I wonder if Ultra would sell one gutted that still has the red button with no Luxeon light in it for even cheaper if we asked...

Offline cylon

• No Force
  • blah
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:18:33 PM »
yeah, if i knew that it was going to be missing the red button, i might have asked if they would leave it, and not do the luxeon.  it doesnt really bother me that much though.

the real problem, for me has been ultrasabers in general.  it took them a month and a half, to two months for them to get this thing to me.  i had to email them like a dozen times... with the final email telling me that they were having staffing change because of exactly the problems i was having.

im not trying to talk trash about ultrasabers, but this being my first experience with them, wasnt the best one.  hopefully their service has improved with whatever changes they made internally.

anyways. someone said something about getting a broken maul, and all i can say is that i tried to find one on ebay, with little luck, so this seemed like the best option.

by the way, the saber/flashlight has a few nicks and scratches on it from what i assume is the disassembly, so if youre super anal about that kind of stuff, you might want to look else where anyway.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:21:59 PM by cylon »

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »
The only way I would get a Maul would be to have the full hilt and only one blade...but if I get one, I will just disassemble the one half and remove the blade myself.  ;) ;D

Hmm...now that I think about it, that's what I will do. I will just find me one that's broken on one half.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 09:03:48 PM »
Hey thats cool,and I go to to check into the hiltsflashlights at ultrasabers
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Louis

• Master Force User
  • Hello from France;)
    • Here is my website, based on my comic book.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 11:55:55 PM »
That's a very good idea to make this saber looks this way!;)

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
How did you get the pin out of the on/off button,im having trouble with mine.
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:02:11 PM »
I went with the full luxeon conversion for my Darth Maul, from Ultra.  It has been an excersize in patience, mine was finally shipped on Wed, hoping it's here tomorrow, otherwise Monday.  And they were good about trying to make up for my order getting lost for a while, so I'm getting a ribbed extension piece for the stunt saber I bought from Alex a few months ago.

Anyway, I got the full luxeon because I do want to do the double bladed thing occasionally, but I figure for cons, costume parties I'd do the full hilt/single blade thing, cause that'd be easier than putting two blades in, and I didn't want to loose any of the sound.  I'll also probably carry just the hilt around for a few days once it arrives (I'm such a nerd 8)).  It was expensive though - next time I'd probably get the FX saber and convert it myself, but I wanted it done well the first time.

Offline Darth Torment

• Sith Lord Formerly Known As DARTH TORMENT
  • Experienced Force User
  • Darth Plagueis The Wise . . .
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 09:59:29 PM »
this is exactly what I want- a full hilt, single bladed maul- i dont want the double blade- and this is a great idea!!

Visit The Citadel Of Darth Plagueis The Wise (buy/sell/trade thread):
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3817.msg64943#msg64943

Proud member of Snowtroopers.ca. Check my profile.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 10:15:50 PM »
That looks great. I wish there was a way to do that with the MR Darth Maul, but of course there isn't since the blades aren't removable. I try dueling with mine like that sometimes, but well, obviously it's not easy.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
this is exactly what I want- a full hilt, single bladed maul- i dont want the double blade- and this is a great idea!!

The double blade is a lot of fun.  LOTS, but it's just not usually practical indoors.  But the single blade/full hilt is my favorite.

Offline Lord Clueless

• Force User
  • Saber Lord
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 01:03:04 AM »
AWESOME!

retrousse