fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul TPM Review By Eric A. Patterson Jr  (Read 36092 times)

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
Re: Darth Maul TPM Review By Eric A. Patterson Jr
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »
Can't wait to get mine ;D

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline ijbrekke

• No Force
  • Don't mess with....Iowa. What?
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »
The funny part about this whole situation is that whenever a Darth Vader saber gets reviewed, nearly everyone cites THE SOUND as being the best thing about it. I've heard one in person, and it is indeed spine tingling.  I absolutely understand the frustration on having the same sound re-hashed, it truly is less accurate than it could (and probably should) be. But I think we can all at least take comfort in the fact that:

A) From what it looks like this new saber is a considerable upgrade in almost every other respect.
B) The sound may change quite dramatically when doubled and run through a coupler.
C) Even if it's an inaccurate sound, it's still a pretty dang COOL one to hear.

Like many here I will probably wait and read the reviews, see if it's worth my money. But Darth Maul's saber has always been my favorite, and I think it's going to be very hard to restrain myself when I actually lay hands on one. As if that's a bad thing  ;D

Offline fallenjedi

• Force User
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »
well guys atleast there's hyperdyne to hook us up with the sounds ( and blades ) we're all looking for ;) happy days!

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
I also noticed that there were not that many people on the site even though someone reviewed the much anticipcated Darth (Vader) Maul Force Fx Saber.  Most people online still 61 when the Luke ROTJ came out
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
I also noticed that there were not that many people on the site even though someone reviewed the much anticipcated Darth (Vader) Maul Force Fx Saber.  Most people online still 61 when the Luke ROTJ came out

I can only sumize that there are more Jedi nerds than Sith nerds?   (much love to the nerds) ;D

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline jedi.the0ry

• Force User
  • Saber Master
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »
Its amazing but when I found the Luke ROTJ 2005 had the same sounds but at different pitches than the Anakin ROTS I wasn't to depressed about it I figured since its a re-release it would have the same characteristics it did before but with a green LED blade, I guess I am more bothered about the Maul since its the latest and greatest of the Fx-sabers, true somethings did change about the saber, hilt accuracy, overall size and the battery size, more of Reddish color (although I think the Vader is RED, not a RED-ORANGE that some think), another SITH saber.  So what I am getting at is MR did well in hyping the saber and marketing, I was one of those that salavated about the pics at TOYFAIR and I quickly grabbed the phone, called Borders, hey man reserve me two of those bad boys, oh yeah.  But now that someone has mentioned the Vader and Maul sound the same, I feel that my train has derailed, my heart has sank, ETC, so I am left with the feeling that the Obi Wan might be my next saber instead of the Darth Vaul, sorry Darth Maul.  I know that members in here will tell me to shut up!!!!!     LOL

Technically, the Anakin ROTS is copying the Luke. I found my ROTJ saber MATCHES the movie dead on, and Ani ROTS came out later. Besides, all saber sound generally the same. To create a new saber sound, they just mess with pitches. Hence why all but hero sabers get the SAME sound. Besides, Vader's sounds dark and evil, good choice for a sith saber. Don't knock a good product because of an actual good idea. Frankly, MR didn't have to do this because it has smaller marketing ploy than a Dooku because Maul was TPM, 2 movies ago. Dooku was in the final two. There sabers sounded generic, therefore by making it a Vader sound it sounds like the evil it is.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:54:59 PM by jedi.the0ry »

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 01:56:16 AM »
I shall test the Maul before I buy it at Borders.  Under much scrutiny.  Only then will I make my decision.  I'm keeping a pack of E2 AAAs in my glove box.
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Anakin2

• Master Force User
  • Like father....like son
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 03:56:50 AM »
i always keep AAA's with me for just such an emergency
FX's owned: All Of Em

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 04:38:18 AM »
Hey, you never know :D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »
that really sux! all the talk about this DM saber and they make a vader w/ a different hilt!!! now im glad i never pre-ordered one. the vader and DM sounds are COMPLETELY different....MR dropped the ball on this one.
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
Doesn't anyone care that the blade is better? I mean everyone is talking about the sounds and nothing else, it's getting pretty annoying, no offense.

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Jedi_Qaid

• Experienced Force User
  • My Ally Is The Force And A STRONG Ally It Is...
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 01:35:46 PM »
Thank for the info...
My Collection

*Episode I*

Offline jedi.the0ry

• Force User
  • Saber Master
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »
Like I said, don't knock something good because of tiny issues, which isn't an issue. I can't wait to get a double, it it's really as light as the Luke, spinning will be great. "Omg the sounds are the Vader, I hate MR." So much for being a loyal customer. Maul had Generic Saber Sounds, which is what the Jedi sabers sound like. So MR did a smart thing to differeciate the Jedi sabers from the Sith.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »
thats what i'm saying ;)

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline ijbrekke

• No Force
  • Don't mess with....Iowa. What?
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »
Doesn't anyone care that the blade is better? I mean everyone is talking about the sounds and nothing else, it's getting pretty annoying, no offense.

I think most of the criticism will be silenced when a few good pictures come out of this thing. The shots of the blade we've seen look like they are from a camera phone. It won't take long until someone puts this thing right next to a Vader and takes a clear pic, and all of the sudden we'll say "Who cares if it sounds like Vader? That blade is a HUGE improvement." And if it turns out the blade really hasn't improved much then, well, MR might have more of a mess on their hands. This is a VERY important saber for these guys and is not something they should have half-assed in any way. Yes, the sound is not accurate, that probably wasn't a very good decision. But if the rest of the saber kicks some major booty, do we really care in the long run?

retrousse