fiduciary

Author Topic: Clone Wars Cancelled???  (Read 17658 times)

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Formerly known as Shadow Walker
  • Experienced Force User
  • I am vengeance. I am the night.
Re: Clone Wars Cancelled???
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
It has, unfortunately, been confirmed that Star Wars: The Clone Wars has officially ended after 5 seasons on the air.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=75549

R.I.P. Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  :'(

We have time to say goodbye.  "It's not over yet." 

The official press release says, "While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen."

And Dave Filoni says they have a few more story arcs but things are winding down.  I presume those episodes will be direct to blu-ray/digital download and were already near completion. 

So yes, it will be over but not yet.

I meant that the animated series is over, yes. They'll probably do more for the Clone Wars story, but maybe not in animated form, unless they rebrand it under Disney XD or they do direct-to-DVD things. 

But either way, the Clone Wars animated series, as we know it, is done and over.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
filoni said earlier that most of season six was already done.  they probably have a dozen episodes in the can ready to go .. but not a full season, therefore enough to warrant signing a new contract with cartoon network.  we'll probably see them on iTunes.

-===-

the take-away from this article is this :

"Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming.

"We are incredibly proud of the teams at Lucasfilm Animation for creating some of the most amazing animation ever produced for TV. Keep checking StarWars.com for new developments on these and future projects."

--> Filoni didn't seem too upset in the video. he couldn't wipe the grin off his face.
he doesn't look like a guy who just lost his job -- he looks like a guy who just got a better one. ;)

it sounds like his entire team is being pulled off TCW and put onto a different project,
which probably takes place after ROTJ (?) perhaps filling the gap between VI and VII(?)

(they were careful to say 'an era that has never been touched in films or television (which implies it HAS been touched by other media)' ;
they praised their own animation teams -- they're not going to hire a new (untested) team for this "new" important project;
they OBVIOUSLY want to set the stage for the new trilogy, and get little kids onboard with the new characters EARLY -- read: they want LucasAnimation to support the ST not the PT;
--> the new project will be designed to drum up audience support for the OT characters .. in the NEW time period (after ROTJ)).

lets face it, the TCW series only served to support the PT and cater to the "younger generation" who grew up with AOTC.  now, that's all fine and well..
..but its not really needed anymore, from a marketting POV.  what's needed now is the SAME kind of series, to support the ST instead.
and who better to make it, than the existing crew at Lucas Animation?

this is why TCW had to die. they needed to re-focus their existing workforce onto a different era.

bottom line: we're STILL going to see an animated SW series .. the equivalent of the clone wars .. but it will be a better show this time.  ;) 
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
what makes you think it will be a better show? it will just get all disneyfied and soppy, probaly end up like a cross between wizards of waverly, i carly and tangled lol. and unlike CT network no 1 will be seen getting killed, so forget awsome saber battles and blaster fights with people dieing, ITS DISNEY!  think im gonna go cry in my beer now hahaha.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »
I don't know the cast seems pretty upset.  Here is a beautiful letter by James Arnold Taylor (aka Clone Wars Obi Wan) :http://jamesarnoldtaylor.com/jamesarnoldtaylor.com/Clone_Wars_Thoughts.html .

Facebook: VVFB

Offline TheDrunkenJedi

• Padawan Learner
  • THE Drunken Jedi (pat pending)
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
This is indeed sad news. Everyone in my house is shocked...the show became one of a few series we watched as a family.
Spock shot first!

Offline Lord Dogo Talia

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
So bummed :(  Lets hope that something will come in the future and be even better! We never thought the clone wars would be as good as it mostly was!!

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Anakin wielded two lightsabers in the final episode. Anyone catch a good screen shot? Couldn't get a good glimpse.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
Anakin wielded two lightsabers in the final episode. Anyone catch a good screen shot? Couldn't get a good glimpse.

He used Bariss Offee's saber which looked a lot like the Adi Gallia clan saber.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »

Ah, ok that makes sense. Good eye.

Can't wait till the final episodes air. Hopefully sooner than the usual time in between seasons.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
I think that will depend on how many of the Season Six episodes were actually completed and how the marketing wonks at Disney think would be the best way to burn off them. IF the completed episodes are in 3-4 episode story arcs AND they just want to use up any residual audience interest in TCW they might release them SOON as 'movie length' perhaps DVD/Blu Ray or digital download [with a later showing on their own network perhaps?] but on the other hand if the release date for Episode VII is slipping they might want to hold off and release them more slowly to keep interest in SOMETHING Star Wars bubbling along until 2015? 2016? 2017?

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline MiSha

• Force User
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
When I read the news this morning I really could not believe it and still do not want to. Why jump on to something new when there is so much left untold? A new series would be great, but please do not leave things undone. As a SW enthusiast, I will follow the new series no doubt. But still - it does not feel right. Why shouldn't they cancel the next one as well just because something new comes up again? What about Darth Maul, Hondo, Ventress, Opress and all the other unfinished plots?

I think cancelling TCW is a huge mistake and a big letdown - not only because I grew very fond of it. I also think it's not quite the professional way to deal with a franchise in general, especially one such as SW. (i.e. if there is something to compare it to at all). Then again, it will work with SW, because the fanbase is just massive. But now it might be a heartbroken fanbase as well. And not for the last time, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:52:10 AM by MiSha »

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »

Yup, he purposefully picked up her saber off her table when he entered her room
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
This was almost inevitable once Disney bought LFL...Disney was not about to leave TCW on a competing network...but because TV shows normally run in 100 episode syndication packages if they'd put Season 6 on Disney XD they'd effectively be starting ALL OVER AGAIN at '0' and would HAVE to make Seasons 7, 8, 9 AND maybe 10 [depending on how many episodes per season] just to 'break even' - if the Disney deal had happened a year earlier THEN it would have made sense to run Season 5 on Disney XD to get over the 'magic 100' syndication mark but as it is facing a choice between cutting production costs at where they are now rather than having to commit to another FIVE YEARS to make any more money out of TCW then it just doesn't make sense financially in the TV industry to continue in series production past the 5 seasons they need but already have.

Add in that by ending it where they did with Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order at the end of Season 5 they effectively resolve the #1 CONTINUITY issue in TCW [what happens to Ahsoka that she isn't in ROTS?] and it also 'closes the circle' quite effectively narratively - Uncle George can now make the statement "The Clone Wars series is THE STORY OF AHSOKA; once she leaves the Jedi Order ITS OVER" similarly to how after ROTS Unca George rather infamously called the whole movie Saga to that point "the Story of Darth Vader, once he died its over" eh?

There are worse fates for TV series, some of which 'hang on' too long after they reach points where they COULD have "closed the circle" and suffer artistically because they overstay their natural arc [i.e. "Lost", "Dawson's Creek" which should have ended after the PERFECT closing circle at the end of the first season, "Twin Peaks" etc]...

...TCW begins with the Arrival of Ahsoka...it ends with her Departure...it IS effectively "the Story Of Ahsoka" and that is a CLEAN way to end it as something that stands COMPLETE as such ALONGSIDE the Saga rather than a part OF it which is what we all may have mistakenly considered it but which perhaps it never was.

Once reconsidered from that "certain point of view" then this may have been the BEST way that TCW could end. Even though it may actually have as much or more to do with TV indujstry practices and economics we were lucky in a way that they coincided with an opportunity for a artistically meritorious resolution as well - too many TV shows [esp in the sci-fi genre it seems] get cancelled purely for economic reasons with either no artistically meritorious resolution [some with no resolution at all] or hang on to 'milk' a property til they 'jump the shark' [Happy Days ref for us Old Folks] and lose whatever artistic credibility they once had.

TCW ends on a high with some great final season episodes and with its main unique character's story arc concluded, her "Hero's Journey" fulfilled.

Perhaps whatever remains unresolved like Maul and Ventress can be addressed with a few TV movies or DVD/Blu-Ray releases of the Season 6 episodes already produced, but as it stands by ending the series here...

...the "Story Of Ahsoka" which ran concurrently with the Prequel Trilogy "Story of Anakin/Vader" is OVER...

*in "Serenity" Parliament Operative voice*

"...this is a good death...there is no shame in this..."

;)

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
*in "Serenity" Parliament Operative voice*

"...this is a good death...there is no shame in this..."

;)

+1  ;)

I'm still bummed though.  Someone said it earlier, and my family is in the same boat.  This was one of the few shows that all 6 of us actually made time for and sat down with popcorn to watch on the regular (kids don't get to watch my other obsession: Walking Dead  ;D)
Support our Font Makers!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
LOL, KIT, sounds like our house :D.  Both obsessions :D.

The issue is, that we ARE going to get more content, which opens more questions, and those will not be answered as the team will not be able to bring the series to the planned conclusion.  8 seasons were planned, sounds like most of 6 is complete and sporadic content from 7.  This content is going to be released in some other manner than weekly on CN.  However, this content will leave unanswered questions because the planned for finale was not filmed and, unless something changes, won't be :'(.

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse