fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's The Old Republic double bladed Consular saber  (Read 36439 times)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
Slothfurnace's The Old Republic double bladed Consular saber
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »

Image property of BioWare

My wife wants me to make her the double bladed lightsaber that the Jedi Consular uses in BioWare's HOPE trailer for The Old Republic. This saber has been a challenge to begin, as I am not sure how to make the intricate details of the handle section. However, the rest of the saber isn't easy either. For instance, the emitters...

To start with, I decided to take some time and attempt to fashion the emitter ends from a section of scrap stainless steel tubing. I chose stainless over aluminum, because of the way the saber is rendered in the trailer, seems more fitting a finish in the long run than aluminum.

I took the screen capture above and blew it up in photoshop, duplicating it across the appropriate size paper to wrap around the diameter of the tubing.

This wraps around perfectly, and seems to look about right. However, I noticed it would be kind of hard to drill through that, so I used that image as a basis for a template that I printed out and replaced the old one with.

This marks my drill points, and groove for the back of the emitter.

Problem #1 - Holes drilled by hand on curved surfaces tend to wander the drill bit... a bit. Therefore making the holes not quite lined up perfectly. This is a problem, as I will have to connect the holes with slots to form the slots evident in the saber emitter, and they have to be straight, uniform, consistent and even. But, even though I know I will probably have to re do this part, I decide to forge ahead and see what I will learn by finishing it.

I found that using my dremel and cutoff wheel is the easiest, fastest way to cut these slots. One cut at the top of the hole, one at the bottom. If I had a milling machine this would be worlds easier, and more consistent, but I don't have a mill, so I have to do the best I can with what I have.

As you can see, the dremel cutoff wheel approach technically works, but leaves uneven results. I will have to bring some stainless tubing out to the ranch and use the big mill back home for this piece, but for now, I have this to think on.

Three sets of three slots, and a groove at the back. Not terrible, but not up to my standards. I will re do this piece, and make two copies once I get time on the mill back at the ranch. I may go back out and enlarge the slots some to make them all more even, but I will most likely leave this piece alone and move on to a replacement.

Here I had used a mill to cut my slots more accurately, straighter. The edges are kind of rough, I'll sand those out on the lathe. Once those are clean, I'll cut it in two so I have two emitter cans.

One end cap installed, I will have to shorten the emitter can a bit to the right length, but it's getting close to good.

Here's a quick sketch I did showing how I think I am going to make the pieces to make this thing all come together.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:34:35 AM by slothfurnace »

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
Re: Slothfurnace's The Old Republic double bladed Consular saber
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
Today, I got out into the garage while it was still early and cool, and decided to get the lathe heated up and turn out some metal for this saber.

I started today with the emitter neck. This is a solid piece of aluminum that goes up into the handle, and up into the emitter can. I also machined the other emitter tip. I have yet to trim the emitter cans down to proper length, so they're both still a little long.

Once I got both emitter necks done, I needed to contour the handles. I start with setting the lowest point of the contour, measuring with my calipers down to 1/8 of an inch. To do the tapers, I'll need to set my angle on my toolpost, and use the crank to bring the tool across at that angle.

However, my crank is a PAIN to use, and has bad results. So I found a hand crank off an old X/Y plate, and drilled two holes into it to fit my crank, now I have a much easier and smoother way to turn this.

The biggest contour done, I had to play with the angles in tiny increments to get the right 1/8 inch in 7 inches slope.

Turned the handle around and dressed out the end where the emitter neck plugs in. Mental note, next time, I should do both contours on the handle before unchucking it. Doing the short angle is pretty difficult when it's not the exact same alignment as the main slope.

Here is the smaller slope, again, it's not perfect due to the fact that I rechucked it. But with a bit of sandpaper it cleans up.

I laid these out on the garage floor to see what the length would be like, once I decide how the two sabers attach in the middle, I'll trim that extra material off the ends. I let myself have enough material just in case.

Not too shabby. I am still evaluating a few parts, might replace one of the necks, and I need to figure out how they attach together, but I got a LOT done today.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:16:45 AM by slothfurnace »

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
I saw this over at TCSS...and I look forward to where this goes. Very cool, man!

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
Looks great so far.

Offline Methos

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »
Amazing work. I will definitely watch this thread closely!

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
You're on your way to another stellar build, Sloth!!! Excited to see the end result :)

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
Indeed. Loved your last build and look forward to this one as well.

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
This looks like another bold endeavor.  I look forward to seeing the build progress.  As far as the intricate patterns they appear to be raised in the pics, thats going to be a tough one to overcome, but i'm sure you will find a way to make it come out amazing.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
Great job so far.  I can't wait to see it after you get the painting done on it.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Wow...just...WOW...

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
Looking great so far! Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the final product!

Offline Sol Nexus

• Experienced Force User
  • Well hello there.
    • Sol Nexus Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Holy....Mr. Furnace....You are AWESOME!!!! 
Light⋅sa⋅ber [Lahyt-sey-ber]
-noun
1.  When you absolutely, positively need to open a can of wampa juice.

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
Holy....Mr. Furnace....You are AWESOME!!!! 

I'm just going to ditto Sol here.... :D

Wow! Being a Bioware guy yourself, do you have any of the original renders of the hilt to look at?

I'm very impressed :). Graphic designing is my forefront... I'm no metal worker! ;D

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

Offline KAO CEN DARACH

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Force Relics co-founder, Formerly Ki-Djowac
    • Force Relics
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
This will be a great looking saber indeed !
Ever since i saw the "hope" trailer, i was wondering when anyone was gonna make that saber. Looks great so far. :o

Offline Koza

• Shoop Da Woop!
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 03:31:25 AM »
Awesome!

For the intricate details, you could send it to an engraver. Possibly a bit pricey, but would be worth it IMO.

retrousse