fiduciary

Author Topic: The Lightsaber Generation!  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
The Lightsaber Generation!
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:56:16 AM »
Hello to all Lightsaber and Dueling enthusiasts!

With the Latest and greatest advancements in technology, Lightsabers are becoming not
just a dsiplay prop or novelty item.
Nor are they some cheap childs toy.
They have become Stunt Sabers for use in all forms of dueling that have vastly proven
to be safer and more entertaining than any metal sword.

With more and more people coming together and forming Clubs and going to events
it is ineviteable that we will one day face the prospects of competitions in various forms.
Hence...
The Time has come for the formation of the Dueling Society.

We encourage Enthusiasts to come together and participate and learn.

In order to make future events successful and safe we will be outlining the basic guidelines
and rules that should be followed in order to keep everyone world wide on the same page
when it comes to use of form and proper zoning for attacks and parries.

We will be concentrating on the "Lightsaber" from of Dueling which is a composition of many
forms of swordfightng that are artfully blended in to the routines created by Nick Gilliard for the
Star Wars series.

The termanologies and stipulations that will comprise this will be taken directly from the methods
used for training actors and stunt men for Film.
These are based on actual fencing and broadsword attacks and parries and out line the proper
methods for use executing them.

It is highly recommended that independent dueling clubs world wide adhere to these basic guidelines
and build from there.
Thus.. If everyone follows the same guidelines as Many of the Trainers for Film have set forth then we
will all be on the same page in order to achieve successfull demonstrations and competitions regardless of
who you meet at an event.

So stay tuned as there will be more to come!

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
Re: The Lightsaber Generation!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »
It would be cool one day to see these demonstrations in reality. Too bad there no clubs in this area who participate in this type of swordpplay....or should I say Lightsaberplay? ;)

I will have to wait to see them on video. >:(

:D

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
Well, to be honest, a friend and mine have been in the process of developing a re-enactment/combat duelling society for the last couple of months.

With our school requirements, it is a bit slow progressing.

We are both members of the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) which is an organization began by a bunch of students at University of California, Berkley back in like the 70s.  In it, there is full-contact rattan combat and also fencing/rapier combat.

Today, the organization exists with "kingdoms" around the entire WORLD.  There are "events" that take place that pit kingdom against kingdom in combat.  Each kingdom has their own King and Queen.  The King is determined by way of tournament.  He rules for 6 months at a time.  I am located in what is known as the Kingdom of Atlantia.

www.sca.org

My friend and I are trying to figure out a way to begin something similar, except with Star Wars.  We cannot believe that something like this for STAR WARS hasn't been started in the past 30 years.  We are attempting to combine the rules of Kendo, SCA Heavy fighting (rattan), SCA Light Weapon (Rapier), and Side-sword to come up with a system of rules for lightsaber contact.

We envision something similar to the SCA; that one day a small group of fans will grow into a world-wide reenactment/combat society for STAR WARS.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »
Well, to be honest, a friend and mine have been in the process of developing a re-enactment/combat duelling society for the last couple of months.

With our school requirements, it is a bit slow progressing.

We are both members of the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) which is an organization began by a bunch of students at University of California, Berkley back in like the 70s.  In it, there is full-contact rattan combat and also fencing/rapier combat.

Today, the organization exists with "kingdoms" around the entire WORLD.  There are "events" that take place that pit kingdom against kingdom in combat.  Each kingdom has their own King and Queen.  The King is determined by way of tournament.  He rules for 6 months at a time.  I am located in what is known as the Kingdom of Atlantia.

www.sca.org

My friend and I are trying to figure out a way to begin something similar, except with Star Wars.  We cannot believe that something like this for STAR WARS hasn't been started in the past 30 years.  We are attempting to combine the rules of Kendo, SCA Heavy fighting (rattan), SCA Light Weapon (Rapier), and Side-sword to come up with a system of rules for lightsaber contact.

We envision something similar to the SCA; that one day a small group of fans will grow into a world-wide reenactment/combat society for STAR WARS.

I am familiar with such events Vader. 8) and yes our time has come!

Corbin from Corbins Comopnents has attended these functions regulary and they can be brutal. :D

Were trying to do the same thing but with Lightsaber combat and in order to make it safer we are
encouraging/implementing the engagement principles of Choreographed attacks and parries that
abide by the same basic placement and rules... but the attacks are not meant to deliver damaging
hits by utilizing off angle strikes and thrusts.

This will keep people from "tipping" each other and encourages the use of the side of the blade
for slashing hits that will count and be much safer overall etc...

If there are those who wish to participate and are dressed in protective fencing gear, there could be
a full force contact no holds barred dueling level... but it will have to get to that point, and the events
may need to deal with liabilities if doing so ;)

The future is always in motion and there will be more definite rules etc... as it evolves.

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:41:35 AM »
For those interested in seeing live "lightsaber" combat, they might want to view "Balance of Power".  If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, visit YouTube.  If that doesn't help, ask Kit.

If none of THAT helps... make your own bloody live performances, film them and release to the public!  :)

BOP II... on its way for May/June 2006.
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Ebon

• THE DARK SITH SLAYER
  • Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »
I have been trying to do the same thing as you guys have mentioned here.  Check out some of my videos so far.  Only one Luxeon video but we're working on getting some more of those if the yard will dry up.

Comments and opinions would be appreciated!

Blue saber is me... please note, these aren't choreographed or edited in any way, just straight up trying to hit each, no target offlimits and we do count the tip hits for our own training purposes though.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.myvideos&MyToken=d79c88b2-0cb6-4adf-8ad8-303f91ec18b4

http://www.youtube.com/user/saberblade73

Ebon

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:12 PM »
BOP III on its way for May/June 2008.

Granted, I'm beginning to realize that... uh... very few are looking at this thread!   ;D
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 01:48:29 PM »
If you post some updates or if you post some other info like more demos or maybe vids that are like "the making of" Balance of Power 1 and maybe 2, then I believe you'll get more views on this thread. ;D

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Mynok

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:41 AM »
oh my god dude (how about sca gear with lightsabers ) that would be epic man. ;D

Offline Ebon

• THE DARK SITH SLAYER
  • Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
I am finallizing my old SCA armor for my Battle Jedi (or Armored Sith depending on my mood) look.  I plan to build a new two handed saber to go with it so I will post some pictures when I get them both done...

Just ordered an Ultrasound to go in it so will probably be end of Oct before the pics though

Hmmm...Gundark Hide leather with Cortosis scales....   ;D

Ebon

retrousse