fiduciary

Author Topic: Blowing up Coruscant  (Read 6290 times)

Offline EV-9D9

• Master Force User
Blowing up Coruscant
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:44:49 PM »
Yes I know it's been over a year since the TFA was released in theaters. The scene and idea of blowing up Coruscant has always bothered me, like someone paving over a park to put in a parking lot, or like turning the Grand Canyon into a landfill.

Today it dawned on me that blowing up Coruscant was just a jab a George Lucas saying we are killing your prequels. I personally enjoy the prequels. Yes they are not the originals, nothing ever will, even though TFA blatantly plagiarized them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:04:24 PM by EV-9D9 »
-Graflex V Replica - BB W-FoC - by Master Yoda - CF5
-Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH - BRG - Romans Parts Screen Accurate - by scottjua - CF7+CeX
-Obi-Wan Kenobi TPM - BB BB-FoC - OM Screen Accurate - CF5
-Stormtrooper - RGBW - JQSabers - Upgraded by Lord Bane - CF6+CeX
-Ventress (Force Witch) - RGB - Solo's Hold - CF7+CeX

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Blowing up Coruscant
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
Only it wasn't Coruscant that was destroyed. It was Hosnian Prime and surrounding planets. Hosinian Prime is, as of now, the only named planet destroyed. Coruscant is nearly on the opposite side of the galaxy core.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Myself and millions of of people also thought it was Coruscant that was destroyed. I didn't know until a few days ago either hahaha.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline EV-9D9

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
Only it wasn't Coruscant that was destroyed. It was Hosnian Prime and surrounding planets. Hosinian Prime is, as of now, the only named planet destroyed. Coruscant is nearly on the opposite side of the galaxy core.
Nice to know. Thanks. My feelings partially remain still, since the look and feel of the planet was "prequel."
-Graflex V Replica - BB W-FoC - by Master Yoda - CF5
-Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH - BRG - Romans Parts Screen Accurate - by scottjua - CF7+CeX
-Obi-Wan Kenobi TPM - BB BB-FoC - OM Screen Accurate - CF5
-Stormtrooper - RGBW - JQSabers - Upgraded by Lord Bane - CF6+CeX
-Ventress (Force Witch) - RGB - Solo's Hold - CF7+CeX

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 01:10:56 AM »
If it had been Coruscant, rather than a planet we've never seen, I might have cared about its destruction.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:45 AM »
If it had been Coruscant, rather than a planet we've never seen, I might have cared about its destruction.
I have similar sentiments. Somehow Starkiller base blowing up that solar system evoked less emotion from me as when the Death Star eradicated that city on Jeedha in R1. Could be because I hated the idea of SKB anyhow.

I still ask myself how the planet killer rays were visible in the sky on planets not even close to HP though.... there were a lot of inconsistencies in that storyline. Best would be to forget it like EP1.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:43:18 AM »
The part where the beams magically divided to make precision strikes was also a bit... curious to me.  I really liked the movie overall, but it was a bit thick excessive conveniences that come off as lazy with any sort of critical look.

I also thought it was Coruscant.

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Formerly known as Shadow Walker
  • Experienced Force User
  • I am vengeance. I am the night.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 04:57:51 AM »
I have similar sentiments. Somehow Starkiller base blowing up that solar system evoked less emotion from me as when the Death Star eradicated that city on Jeedha in R1. Could be because I hated the idea of SKB anyhow.

I still ask myself how the planet killer rays were visible in the sky on planets not even close to HP though.... there were a lot of inconsistencies in that storyline. Best would be to forget it like EP1.

Starkiller Base used quintessence, which is a type of dark energy.  Once it fired, the quintessence was transformed into phantom energy, which travels through sub-hyperspace.  Sub-hyperspace is basically a hole in real-space (or just space), which allowed Starkiller Base's energy to destroy systems over great distances in real time.  Basically, the space-time disruption caused by the energy going through sub-hyperspace made the beams instantaneously visible thousands of light years away, meaning that everyone at Maz's Castle saw it all happen in real-time. 

That's all according to The Force Awakens novelization.  I don't think they would have enough time to explain all that in the movie itself, so it was put in the novelization. 

Also a fun fact is that Starkiller Base's planet was one of the planets that the Empire mined for kyber crystals for the Death Star (like Jedha), so it made it a prime candidate for the First Order to build Starkiller Base and harness its crystals for the base's power itself, so that's a cool little connection, I think. 

In regards to the OP post, Hosnian Prime and the Hosnian system were chosen as the capital of the New Republic due to an election, so that kind of explains why Coruscant wasn't used.  It's understandable for it not to have evoked much of a caring response either, as it was only shown for a few seconds in the movie.  However, the system's destruction was to give the Resistance a reason to fight the First Order fully, as there was a Galactic Concordance that they had in place that said there would be peace as long as The First Order didn't violate it, which, of course, they ended up doing by destroying that entire system.  So it did serve a pretty big purpose overall, but it wasn't something you really cared about that much because it had so little screen time.

Again, this is all based off of The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary and the novelization though.  It's not all necessarily explained in the movie.  There just wouldn't be enough time for it.  Plus, it would kind of get into the political side of things and if the prequels taught us anything, it's that too much politics is not that good in a Star Wars movie.  :cheesy:

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:08 AM »
Lmao Bruce

Basically they made up a load of bull.... to cover the rediculas idea of Starkiller base firing shots that magically split into 4 too hahaha what a crock. There would be no guidance system attached! it was firing stolen energy from a sun and then blasting in a single direction and would have to wait until the planet was in the correct orbit at the correct time of it's solor cycle and the other systems would also have to be in the correct position too. That TFA dictionary is a bad joke at best. At least the original death stars could be moved and the beam perfectly aimed at the target.

At least the 6 other films didn't fall into the realm of magic and tried keeping close to reality. The big D will be after the wizarding world franchise next lol.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 06:31:20 AM »
At least the 6 other films didn't fall into the realm of magic and tried keeping close to reality.

A 900 yr old green elf lifts a space plane from a swamp with his MIND. lol

Sorry, had to do it.  :afro:

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Formerly known as Shadow Walker
  • Experienced Force User
  • I am vengeance. I am the night.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
Lmao Bruce

Basically they made up a load of bull.... to cover the rediculas idea of Starkiller base firing shots that magically split into 4 too hahaha what a crock. There would be no guidance system attached! it was firing stolen energy from a sun and then blasting in a single direction and would have to wait until the planet was in the correct orbit at the correct time of it's solor cycle and the other systems would also have to be in the correct position too. That TFA dictionary is a bad joke at best. At least the original death stars could be moved and the beam perfectly aimed at the target.

At least the 6 other films didn't fall into the realm of magic and tried keeping close to reality. The big D will be after the wizarding world franchise next lol.

It wasn't in the Visual Dictionary, it was in the Force Awakens novelization, which is canon.  The concept of Starkiller Base isn't new either. The Star Forge harnessed a star's energy to build ships.  Starkiller Base instead just used that energy for destructive beams of energy that can destroy entire systems.  Also, the rotation and inclination of the planet had to be taken into account for the weapon to target something, as well as the lack of obstacles between it and the target, because the phantom energy beam can only be intercepted by an object of sufficient mass (like a planet).  Also, Starkiller Base is a mobile ice planet, meaning it's not stationary and can move where it needs to properly fire its beams.  All of this is in the novelization.  Like I said, they couldn't just put that all in the movie because it would take way too long to explain it properly. 

It's not out of the realm of possibility or just "magic," it's based off of the science of the Star Wars galaxy, which is obviously different from our own.  That's the whole reason why it's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away; they're able to get away with a lot of what we would consider "scientific inaccuracies" (like sounds in space, for one, among a lot of other things). 

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
Personally I didn't really have any emotional reaction to Hasnian Prime being destroyed, or Jedha, or Alderaan for that matter.  In each of those cases it was a means to establish the Empire or First Order as a palpable threat. 

To me these were just devices used to give motivation to the characters or plot.  I hope in the Last Jedi and Episode 9 (and all the standalones for that matter) they don't rely on the crappy EU idea of super weapon of the week. 

Empire Strikes Back had no Death Star and no other type of super weapon and it totally worked!  It can be done.  I just hope the Disney Story group can recognize that they don't have to recycle EVERY idea that came before to get fans on board with the new films.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 04:00:15 AM »
Personally I didn't really have any emotional reaction to Hasnian Prime being destroyed, or Jedha, or Alderaan for that matter.  In each of those cases it was a means to establish the Empire or First Order as a palpable threat. 

To me these were just devices used to give motivation to the characters or plot.  I hope in the Last Jedi and Episode 9 (and all the standalones for that matter) they don't rely on the crappy EU idea of super weapon of the week. 

Empire Strikes Back had no Death Star and no other type of super weapon and it totally worked!  It can be done.  I just hope the Disney Story group can recognize that they don't have to recycle EVERY idea that came before to get fans on board with the new films.

You couldn't have told any better! Exactly! I sincerely hope no reuse happens in the two episodes to come.

Offline Jaeger

• No Force
  • Sith
    • Uno de Nosotros
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »
I feel they will be taking more risks and new ground now that TFA has broken the ice, so to speak. TFA was very safe, and I am sure that was intentional.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
Oh very much so.  It was a smart move really if you think about it.  A lot of people complain that The Force Awakens was just a retread of A New Hope, and while it was in many ways, it was a safe way to get most of the fan base back on board after the divisive prequels.  At the very least it set the stage for the continuation of the saga and gave us new characters that we can root for.  I quite like the cast of the new trilogy.  It seems to be the one thing that even people who hated TFA can agree on.  The new characters are likeable and we can relate to them.

I hope Disney is smart enough to start taking some risks now with The Last Jedi and Episode 9 and beyond.  I certainly don't need to see a remake of Empire or Jedi. 

retrousse