fiduciary

Author Topic: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers  (Read 26086 times)

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
Re: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
For working out use a 2, 4, or 5. They're pretty clearly labeled. Don't dishwasher wash them either. Just rinse them out in the sink. Dishwashers get MUCH hotter. Also, remember that they make really nice stainless steel water bottles too. Most of my friends (who are all scientists mind you) use the metal bottles instead.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:43:08 AM by BIGGS DARKLIGHTER »

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
But there can be just as many toxins in metal as well.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
You're funny Alias.  :D  THis coming from a guy that willing takes in more toxins in one smoke than most do in a year.  Lol   :D :D :D :D :D

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »
True...but all that matters is whether or not the chemicals are released from the product. Stainless steel bottles are probably the best overall. Chemicals usually don't easily leach out of metals since the structure of the metal stays relatively constant at the temperatures to which we can expose it.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »
OT and not wanting to derail too much, pipes are a neat way of smoking tobacco. Ever try sweet grass? It's very mild, yet calm your nerves. We use it for ceremonial purposes here with the First Nations Communities. It grows alot in the Northern areas. A completely legal herb found in the woods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_grass 

But, because of the healing properties, there was talk of the Canadian Government wanting to infringe on the Rights of the Communities and make sweet grass a prescription. That would be totally unfair.

We use to smoke sweet grass during some training excercises with the military.

As for PVC, from what I've read, I don't we'll have our hands falling off due to cancer.

Maybe the Emperor should have taken the PVC out of his lightsaber hilt, eh? :D

Thanks for the advice Luke and Biggs! I don't use a dishwasher, never saw the need, always washed the dishes by hand and only warm water, so I need not worry about that. A stainless steel one, eh? Nice. I think I'll look around for that.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
  • "Always run the same direction EOD are running"
    • http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
I love the smell of pipe smoke.

I hope you two stop smoking. It's bad Ju-Ju, not good, but you already know that. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer and I wouldn't wish that on anyone-- well maybe Bin Laden.  ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
I love the smell of pipe smoke.

I hope you two stop smoking. It's bad Ju-Ju, not good, but you already know that. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer and I wouldn't wish that on anyone-- well maybe Bin Laden.  ;D

Actually I could think of much worse for that guy.... ;)

As a Fellow (former) smoker (I still cheat now and then with a pure tobacco Cigar or a pipe) but since I stopped smoking the Chemical Laden processed shredded PAPER that passes for current day cigarette tobacco from the major manufacturers, I am feeling much better.

Now on to other issues.

ROHS compliance of components for the electronics of your saber.  Lead is something that DEFINITELY can cause problems with your health.

Offline PRINCESS LEIA

• Her Worshipfulness
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Well,Somebody has to save our skins!!
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
lead is particulary dangerous because it can be absorbed through the skin.Be careful in choices of Solder,oils,and paints.

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent-now get outta here
I'm out of it a little while and everyone has delusions of granduer

Offline HAN SOLO

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 01:04:42 AM »
Well, I have some good news for our city. I just so happen to come across some info that states only 1,2,4,5 are recycled here. And from what I gather, we're one of the only cities in Ontario to recycle plastic bags.

As for water bottles, the ones I use are numbered 1. Am I in trouble of becoming like the Emperor? :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:06:23 AM by HAN SOLO »

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
Does anyone know first hand how bad the fumes from the soldering iron gives off?

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Those fumes are the rosin core boiling off.  For no longer than most of you are soldering, it shouldn't be a problem.  Still, I would recommend some ventilation regardless.  Now, if you were soldering hour after hour with your face down in the fumes, I would recommend use of a respirator with charcoal cartridges at a minimum.

Even as anal as I am about safety...I don't wear a respirator for the little bit of soldering I do on a saber.  I can wire up a CF board in less than five minutes and that is the work that puts me the closest to the fumes...all else has me a good distance and the fumes out of my breathing zone.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 09:25:40 PM »
Good points there, especially on the ventilation issues.  With some of the fumes that we get when working on sabers: Solder, Epoxy and glues, Weld-on #3 (5), paint, etc. It's a good Idea to have plenty of fresh air circulating.

Solder fumes are bad if contained and inhaled in concentrated doses as JudgeSabersmith has stated, but typically, you really won't have a lot of prolonged exposure, unless you are soldering a lot in a non-ventilated area with no airflow with your face directly over the work area.  Which typically isn't a good idea because solder CAN and will sputter from time to time, and may splash, causing burns.

I typically do all of my soldering in my garage/workshop.  It has exhaust fans (Previous owner of the house installed them because he had a small engine repair shop, and worked on motorcycles, and snowmobiles a lot in the winter), and is heated for the winter months.

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 09:38:36 PM »
I solder in my man cave-- and it seems like more times than not I get a head ache later on in the day after soldering. I'm going to set up a fan down there to blow the smoke away while working.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline Silkvein

• Junkyard Sabersmith
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »
Sorry, but I have to chime in on the sweet grass.  Kudos friend!!!  If you like that, you'll love Kinnick Kinnick.  There are several mixtures out there, but the essence is yerba lena yesca, bear berry, osha root, and maybe a pinch of willow bark.  I've added passion flower or valerian root in the past as well.  A great tobacco substitute to puff on while trying to lay off of the ole death sticks.  Also compares quite nicely to some "other" herbs I've sampled in the past....  'nuff said

I'm an ordained minister in Shamanism, so I get around the garden and woods a bit.  Not to mention I love me a good pipe  :)

Sorry 'bout that....  I had to shout out to the Native herbalists. 

***Hijack ended***

Peace,
Silkvein

Offline HAN SOLO

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
Cool, the Falcon has a "shipment". Hahaha! :D

Now back to PVC.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

retrousse