fiduciary

Author Topic: My first scratch built Saber with open crystal chamber  (Read 4755 times)

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
  • .....negotiations with a light saber...
My first scratch built Saber with open crystal chamber
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »
Hi from good ol' Germany my fellow Saber Builders!
I do admit that I am very happy to finally be able to show my little Project that I have been working on for the past few months, scrounging build time as well as I could out of my otherwise rather busy schedule. But you all can relate to that problem I guess... :rolleyes:
Anyway here goes:

This idea was spooking around my head for a while and startet to take shape completely as a CAD design at first.

It was to be a Neopixel build using Plecters Prizm 5.1 and/or Nano Biscotte
I work for a company that laser cuts sheet metal products so I definately wanted some elements to show for that because hey, you might say we have a real 5000watt light saber :cheesy:
So the outer shroud elements are laser cut from stainless steel and then bent into shape

The Hilt consists of two seperate parts between which the crystal chamber is set

I then constructed the control box for the main and aux switch which is machined from aluminum so that the 12mm non latching button just barely fits

The box houses a 3d printed part that holds the aux button

I designed the control box to give me a little bit of spare room to later add an accent led

At this point I ran into the typical problem of anybody who does not have a complete machine park in his basement. None of the pro machinists like to make just "1" of anything for obvious reasons. The costs beeing just as high, I decided to do 2 lightside and 2 darkside sabers right off the start which I originally had not intended.

The next step was to start on the surfaces of the parts so I had some sandblasted to later be painted and some were anodized (and blasted).

Now I started on the chassis which is a combination of 3d print and the crystal chamber that is also made of laser cut aluminum parts.

The crystals I used are natural quartz and it did take a while to source the right sizes that I could fit into the chamber.

The chassis fits in the rear of the hilt and is wired through the crystal chamber to the front with its control box. That took a little cramfu force push but it worked out well when I had it sorted

This was the first color combination test to get a feel for how the hilts should later be combined

The crystal chamber mirrors the blade in its effects and colors as I feel that this is the way it would be when an actual kyber crystal is "powering" a saber

I completed the hilt with again bent to shape laser cut parts and 3d printed grip elements.
From here on it was just careful and mostly very tedious installation work to get everything lined
up nicely and joining the segments together.

The variations on the other hand were fun to do as I now had the parts at hand and could play somewhat with how they looked

Beeing so happy about the result I also made a stand for the saber to be displayed upright with the blade attached  :angel:

some final pics:

Here are two short Demo vids of the light side version of these sabers:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:23:02 PM by SciFiSurfer »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: My first scratch built Saber with open crystal chamber
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
Pics not showing

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
jup I noticed.... I'm still practicing  :cheesy:

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
I really like this design. You can see the obvious Starkiller/Graflex influence, but it's totally unique and beautiful to look at. Do you have any video of it in action?

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Nice work.

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:32 PM »
Thanks guys! I will post a vid as soon as I've made one. And yes the graflexy feel was something that I wanted and the starkiller was always one of my favorites because of the open crystal chamber. The saber just "does" more that way, even when the blade isn't attached.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:08:25 PM by SciFiSurfer »

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:41:01 AM »
These are great! Very nicely done.

-Denzil

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
Thanks Denzil! I learned a lot while building them too :lamp: :azn:

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
These are great! Nicely done. Reminds me of a cross between Starkiller and Slothfurnace sabers I really like the vents and stuff

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
Thanks!! Yeah the vents offered themselves nicely as an added surface detailing that I definately wanted. The challenge was for them to line up with the "cooling ribs" of the crystal chamber. CADing that was easy, but in reality everything seems to differ ever so slightly. With a little tweaking here and there it worked out well though.     

This way the light of the crystal can also be seen partially through the vents creating more of a "round about" effect that I wanted.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:53:20 AM by SciFiSurfer »

Offline Lord_Shar

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »
Very nice design!  I'm sure more than a few forum users would be interested in buying these hilts should they ever go up for sale.

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Awesome saber.

Offline SciFiSurfer

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
Thanks ARKM! and thanks for the vote of confidence Lord Shar. I might have to do that in order to fund further projects  :wink:

Offline Lord_Shar

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
I'm serious about being interested in buying even a bare hilt -- I'd love to set one up with color-changing crystal + blade :)  This hilt's features and shroud work speaks for itself.  I just have to make sure I can afford the asking price given that I just pulled the trigger on another luxury item (Lum-Tec B4 Super Combat automatic watch).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:19:07 PM by Lord_Shar »

Offline Morannon

• Force User
  • “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
Usually not a fan of Starkiller esc hilts, but I like this one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:28:07 PM by Morannon »

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

retrousse