fiduciary

Author Topic: What makes a sabersmith a sabersmith?  (Read 9793 times)

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
Re: What makes a sabersmith a sabersmith?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »
Yes DC totally with you.
After I started using 3D software to make chassis I became more of an alrounder as I don't need to rely on any one for that now, quite a few custom chassis down the line.
And also just handed in to my machinist a render which he can machine from and it's saved me a money as he doesn't need to work from paper diagrams now.
Seeing it pop up in his cad software was one of those ooo ahh moments.
I just wish I had the cash and space for the bigger lathes and mills.
For now I settle for my bench lathe.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
Yes DC totally with you.
After I started using 3D software to make chassis I became more of an alrounder as I don't need to rely on any one for that now, quite a few custom chassis down the line.
And also just handed in to my machinist a render which he can machine from and it's saved me a money as he doesn't need to work from paper diagrams now.
Seeing it pop up in his cad software was one of those ooo ahh moments.
I just wish I had the cash and space for the bigger lathes and mills.
For now I settle for my bench lathe.

:grin: ^^ love it

I have my tiny Sherline on a dresser in my studio apartment hahahahaha. Luckily it’s about as loud as grandmas sewing machine.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
... But like you pointed out, it’s more to it than just machining and installing a hilt there’s also the business side of things.

I think this is the biggest thing. Not just for those doing it for the main source of income but even for the hobbyist or part timer that is doing one or just a few sabers a year. I think the ones that succeed in this area are the ones that are building the sabers that they would want to own and treating their customers/buyers the way they would want to be treated. Simply put, loving their work and doing it with integrity.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
... But like you pointed out, it’s more to it than just machining and installing a hilt there’s also the business side of things.
Spot on  :grin:

I think this is the biggest thing. Not just for those doing it for the main source of income but even for the hobbyist or part timer that is doing one or just a few sabers a year. I think the ones that succeed in this area are the ones that are building the sabers that they would want to own and treating their customers/buyers the way they would want to be treated. Simply put, loving their work and doing it with integrity.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »

Yes, this is very important, and is some of what we look for when considering members for the Mining Colony.  :wink:

Trust me, I have seen a long list of people who have ruined their reputations via their actions. Some are very well known and documented, and others, not so much.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
I  really enjoy making stuff, sabers and saber related items.  I think if you transition into doing it for a living it can become not so enjoyable.  It’s very hard to make a living with a pay check that’s not consistent. I’ve done it for over 20 years.  I would love to make one of a kind sabers and sell them. I don’t know is that a “ Smith” ?
You hear so many that get tied up with trying to make money and with a backlog they can’t keep up with and such.  I can see it becomes so frustrating. I don’t want to be that and it makes me feel sad for those who get stuck there.  I just like spending my free time doing the best I can with my limitations.

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
I  really enjoy making stuff, sabers and saber related items.  I think if you transition into doing it for a living it can become not so enjoyable.  It’s very hard to make a living with a pay check that’s not consistent. I’ve done it for over 20 years.  I would love to make one of a kind sabers and sell them. I don’t know is that a “ Smith” ?
You hear so many that get tied up with trying to make money and with a backlog they can’t keep up with and such.  I can see it becomes so frustrating. I don’t want to be that and it makes me feel sad for those who get stuck there.  I just like spending my free time doing the best I can with my limitations.

Some come into it looking to make “a quick buck”.  I can usually see those types of people coming a mile away. Half of the time, they wind up crashing and burning in spectacular fashion. Usually in those cases, it’s the poor unsuspecting person looking to get something done “cheap” that winds up getting hurt.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion! I'll chime in with my thoughts.

I'll start by saying it's hard to define a term that only exists within a niche community because it is colloquial so there is no official definition AFAIK, but the effort to come up with one might be a good exercise.

I've always thought of the term "sabersmith" as an analog to "blacksmith" or "bladesmith". In both of those cases, the smith begins with the raw materials, usually high-carbon steel or some other metal, maybe some wood or leather, melts it down, cuts it, shapes it, and forges those things into something. I associate it with starting with very little and applying a high level of physical effort to create something amazing. So, with that in mind, I have always thought that at least some level of fabrication (machining, cutting, bending, etc.) as a requirement.

So, to me, it has to be something more than simply putting parts together. I'd say the term "installer" is more accurate in that case; It's not creating something totally new from materials, it's just putting together things that somebody else made. There can be joy in that, and a good installer is to be respected because, well, nobody wants a bad install! It's just not "smithing", IMO.

I also feel like "sabersmith" should be reserved for those with expertise in metalwork that create unique hilts of their own design or based on what they've seen on screen as closely as they can manage.

To follow up on jbkuma's earlier comment about code work possibly being considered, I think there needs to be a separate term to describe those who build and develop their own saber control systems or advance existing open source solutions. This is a more recent development that it's become widespread enough to talk about, but I'd like to coin the phrase "saber engineering" to describe that kind of thing. The skill set required work on the code and the intricate electronic inner-workings of a saber differs greatly from working metal to form a hilt.

"Smithing" to me seems focused on the physical outward appearance and function of the saber, while "engineering" is focused on the inner-workings and behavior of the saber; how it all works. Both are needed for a good saber.

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »

To follow up on jbkuma's earlier comment about code work possibly being considered, I think there needs to be a separate term to describe those who build and develop their own saber control systems or advance existing open source solutions. This is a more recent development that it's become widespread enough to talk about, but I'd like to coin the phrase "saber engineering" to describe that kind of thing. The skill set required work on the code and the intricate electronic inner-workings of a saber differs greatly from working metal to form a hilt.

"Smithing" to me seems focused on the physical outward appearance and function of the saber, while "engineering" is focused on the inner-workings and behavior of the saber; how it all works. Both are needed for a good saber.

We call you “sound card manufacturers”.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
Excellent comments JakeSoft.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

We call you “sound card manufacturers”.

LOL. I don't manufacture anything and don't ever plan to. I haven't made a dime from any of the code I've released.

There are a whole bunch of people out there now creating their own saber control boards just for fun.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:18:58 PM by JakeSoft »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
If I may... Space Wizards. Yes, Space Wizards.

All joking aside, very good points you bring up.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
If I may... Space Wizards. Yes, Space Wizards.

All joking aside, very good points you bring up.

I would also accept "crazy old space wizzard".  :laugh:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
What do you call the things that are so custom they probably won't explode?  That's the kind of thing I like to build!  :grin:

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »
Giving this thought, it's not easy to pin down. 'Smithing' for me does imply a physical art/craft/fabrication manual process to create something from metal. In the saber context, it seems a bit broader, but that's still there and in focus.

I guess I'd describe as 'sabersmith' as something like: somebody who designs and creates custom sabers; has an established, ongoing practice of this; has an understanding of and skill and experience with most of the processes involved, especially design and fabrication; that the sabers they produce are made to a professional level, in the sense that the end result meets at least the minimum that's expected for all aspects of the saber within the market where they're sold; if/when they do sell their work, they stand by it and provide a level of service that this implies.

It's difficult not to tie it in with people doing it as all or part of their livelihood as a straightforward yes/no part of criteria, and maybe that does form part of many people's idea of a sabersmith, but I can think of so many people I know or have known who are extremely skilled in various creative practices they do regularly - at or well beyond a baseline 'professional' level - but choose not to make it a job or career, it just doesn't sit right for me to make that a measure, as I wouldn't consider these folks any less an artist/musician/maker/animator/writer/etc/etc than someone who earns money from it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:01:05 AM by Sethski »

retrousse