fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-Sabers Forum / Site (suggestions for improvements)  (Read 10470 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: FX-Sabers Forum / Site (suggestions for improvements)
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 06:37:22 AM »
sessions time out after a certain amount of inactivity -- even if you leave the tab open.
If you have the system set to "leave you logged in" - then you won't NOTICE the session time out, because, when you open a new browser or even just start reusing an existing window, there are handshakes that happen in the background to re-establish a session. The system can't leave sessions open forever - that would quickly fill the database sessions table beyond capacity with any sort of active forum.

New theory: My problem is I tend to come here and click "replies" a few times a day, but I only click "unread" once per day.
If I understand the implementation correctly, every time I exit a session without clicking the "unread" link, I will "miss" some post. (Except of course that I then click "all unread" so that I don't miss them.)

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 05:53:23 AM »
yes, that is a possibility.

There's no good way to "fix" that, though...   as noted, the unread posts is an expensive query (in terms of database and server resources) and is purposefully limited by the software to avoid overloading the server resources on a shared host.

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »
Advanced search needs to be an option under the regular box, not hidden away in FAQ. Also posts should be ordered by newest date first by default in the regular search. Searching by "most relevant" (seemingly default option for regular searches) doesn't really work in practise. If you search for ROTJ or a simple known saber phrase, you seemingly get a dump of every thing with ROTJ in the title.

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
on Search, if you click the search box (magnifying glass) it will bring up the option to do advanced search.
Unfortunately, adding a link to advanced search under that would, IMO, make the screen crowded.

Changing the quick search to by date would require a hard-coded change...  I understand your point, but I'm not sure...

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
I use the advanced search now and again and it comes up just like it does in any other forum after
the basic search so it is literally another click away after the first basic search.

IF it doesn't please let us know

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
Okay I see the Advanced search button after either Quick Searching for something, or just clicking the magnifying glass. It's not obvious though and even for those who know about it, it takes 2 clicks just to get to it, and then you have to click a few more times to arrange by date (which is probably what most people want to search using anyway). I just don't think it's very user friendly. A small bit of text saying "advanced" will hardly take much space but I didn't code the site.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »
I have a proposal too to make the site more attractive: I personally think that the Forum structure needs a serious rework to reflect the actual state of the saber hobby.

In particular, if I look back at the last 2 years, ~70% of the topics generating any significant interest and a meaningful discussion were related to open source, Arduino based saber core development (i.e. DIYino, TeensySaber, smooth swing, LSOS, FX-SaberOS). Still these topics are still relegated to a nondescript part of the forum called New Ideas and Technologies. It's time these topics get their own dedicated room so people can better find entries they are interested in.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
A reorganization of the site is being discussed.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Can we add this:
Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests">

to this site?
It will make http: images which are *also* available as https: images start working.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 03:30:35 PM »
Can we add this:
Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests">

to this site?
It will make http: images which are *also* available as https: images start working.

This will be taken under advisement. I’m not sure how it will affect other things that are set up on the site.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

retrousse