fiduciary

Author Topic: SOLVED - CF8/CEX LED Interference  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Kouri

• No Force
  • ~
SOLVED - CF8/CEX LED Interference
« on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
Having an odd issue with a CF8 w/ CEX install.

Using a custom DeepRed/Lime/RoyalBlue Tri-Rebel on channels 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

When the DeepRed(c1) is configured above ~400mA, the RoyalBlue(c3) begins to lightly flicker, so that the full-blast 700mA DeepRed has a slight pulse toward pink. However, if I then bring up Lime(c2) a bit, when it reaches a high enough power level (I forgot to measure), the RoyalBlue stops flickering and stays off.

I'm at my wit's end. All wiring's hidden beneath the boards, so I can't see if there's a short anywhere. I'm about to open up the LED heatsink and double-check contacts on that end. If I don't see anything, then I imagine I've no choice but to tear the boards away from the chassis and re-do all the LED wires there. Just thought I'd ask to see if there's something I might be missing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:14:15 AM by Kouri »

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Re: CF8/CEX LED Interference
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
That is an odd one.  Does the - of the CEx go back to the board - pad?  They need to share the - lead on the board pad (not tied together or shared at the recharge port).

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
With chewie. Your cex ground must be on the neg of the board

Offline Kouri

• No Force
  • ~
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:22 AM »
That seems to have done the trick. They were originally two wires joined at the recharge port. Joining them at CF Negative sorted the issue.

Mind offering some sort of technical explanation? I don't think I ever would've seen this as a problem on my own.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: SOLVED - CF8/CEX LED Interference
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »
The CF and CEx need a consistent ground reference. By changing the location of the GND of the CEx, you offset the ground, which was not 0V anymore when related with the CF ground.

retrousse