fiduciary

Author Topic: My personal Rebellion KotOR saber...upgraded...page 2  (Read 10306 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
My personal Rebellion KotOR saber...upgraded...page 2
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
When I do installs for a run I usually use the personal saber as a test saber to figure out how I am going to do the install.  That way if I mess it up I learned on my own and not a customers.  I did that with this saber as well and then set it aside in its stock form to focus on the customer builds.

After I finished all of the customer builds and sent them off I started looking at mine and try to figure something out to set it apart from the rest.  Jango had suggested 12mm AV switches so I figured I would order some and try them out.  Originally I was going to flush mount them but since I have not picked up my new mill I didn't want to try cutting the recess and got to thinking of a way to mount them and make them look decent. 

I measured the original switch housing and realized the switches would fit in there if I drilled it and the saber out.  This also allowed me to keep the stock look in a way and to raise the switches up so they clear the double 18650 batteries to keep me from redoing my install (as it was all I had to do was solder the leads on the switches).

While I had the electronics out I decided to powder coat it.  I didn't want to go wild with the powder coating or anything so I stuck with one of my favorites which is textured flat black.  I am a little disappointed in the PC work as I scratched some of it up getting the edges cleaned up.  Its not bad and its for play anyway so I am not too worried about it besides you only really see it if you are looking for it and look up close in person...the flash and large file bring it out in the pics.

the specs are

CF6 (no they were not available for the run but my other boards were slated said run so I used what I had)
2x18650
green activation AV switch
red aux AV switch
Cree RB,RB,W
stock sound fonts (no tweaks yet)
TCSS 1.5W speaker.  I will change this to a 2W later but all I had were slated for other projects at the time of the build.
internal R.I.C.E. port

The pics aren't very good because of my lighting (had to use the flash on one) but you can see it good enough I think.

Click for larger image...

Here is a video

RebellionKotOR
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:57:47 AM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline EyeoftheRaven

• Master Force User
Re: My personal Rebellion KotOR saber
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
Very nice, I like the switches.  If I had work done on mine, I'd emulate those switches and some of the black lines near the emitter.  Excellent piece MH!

Offline Wolfen

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
Love the rebel bird on the pommel.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »
Wow I hadn't had a chance to email you back (I will today when I get some computer time) but mine looks almost identical as I got mine looking different too already. But I weathered it V2 style.

The buttons are perfect! I might have to try that route. :)

Awesome job as usual MH!!!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
Excellent work as usual, Mike.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
Nicest example of the  Rebellion Run Iv'e seen to date! Love the textured look of the PC and that pommel insert is perfect.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:49:32 AM by sithslayer1 »

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
Excellent work! I love that PCing and the pommel insert too :)

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
That's really nice MH. I like the raised AV switches too.
Looks great.
it's all Elemental

Offline Temple

• No Force
  • Jedi Battle Knight
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
Looks Great overall but i do love the pommel!!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:56 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Lord Darth Revan

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
Love it. Great job. The AV switches are awesome in that hilt.

ALL HAIL LORD REVAN... ALL HAIL LORD REVAN... ALL HAIL LORD REVAN

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »
How did you place the speaker?
I had mini speaker wrapped with foam, it fit great but just too quite with how little open space there is for sound to come out of pommel, so I put a tcs premium speaker freefloating, with hot glu on the leads.
Yours looks great

Offline Sini Star

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »
That looks awesome MH nice work as always.  Where do you get the 12mm switches?  Did the bottom of the pommel with the rebellion emblem come that way?

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
How did you place the speaker?
I had mini speaker wrapped with foam, it fit great but just too quite with how little open space there is for sound to come out of pommel, so I put a tcs premium speaker freefloating, with hot glu on the leads.
Yours looks great

The speaker seals against the tube so the way you did it should work and give you good sound.  Maybe slightly quieter than a different set up but shouldn't be quiet at all really.  Normally you would not do this because the open area would not seal the speaker and distort but since it seals tight it will work fine.

I like to use the mini speakers in a 1" thick wall blade.  I machine it out to accept the speaker and that fits in the small 1" id sabers nicely.

That looks awesome MH nice work as always.  Where do you get the 12mm switches?  Did the bottom of the pommel with the rebellion emblem come that way?

Thanks,
I got the switches from a seller on ebay.  The pommel insert has the raised rebellion symbol on it but I PCed the background of it in the same textured black as the rest of the saber.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:17:06 PM by MH »

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
OK update because I remember what I did now (so my memory is not great).  I used the 2W bass speaker from TCSS and used a thin plastic tube for the small resonance chamber.

The 2W is the speaker I was talking about when I said it sealed against the tube.

Sorry for not remembering earlier.

retrousse