fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Call's ESB Graflex Build, (WIP-update 05/12/09)  (Read 14088 times)

Offline Lord Dracus

• Master Force User
  • "The force is mine to command."
Re: Darth Call's ESB Graflex Build, (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
 That looks awesome DC !!! :o

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
Listen to Max you must. If you want screen accuracy you need the other d ring for the ESB version.  As for other parts like the glass eye you can get away with a little bit here and still be canon,  If you review partsofsw.com you will find out that there were several stunt sabers used in the movie.  They had 2 red buttons, 1 red button and a glass eye, a red button and a missing second red button just leaving a hole.  So you can get away with a little bit and sitill be screen accurate.

Most often than not the ESB version will be noted with 2 red buttons.

You will def want to stick with the knurled tape and gold circuit board to stay canon.

I went with the glass eye version and all the rest stayed canon.  I do have a second red button in case I want to swap it out but I never have.  the glass eye IMO just looks cooler.  Plus it's easier for dueling as it has a lower profile.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »
Point well taken Master Skywalker, I have the correct D ring on Order.

I JUST finished installing the new US2.1 board and powered it up, ....I'll have pictures in a day or so. A few things I want to change:

I THOUGHT I would prefer the SRD LUX V on this one. Turns out, .....not so much.  I'm not really a big fan of Royal Blue either, so I guess I'll try a Regular Blue. I'll read up on Lumen ratings later on to see who has the brightest blue, .....or may just stay with the LUX V,....IDK.

I will order the smaller brass pins pretty soon.

The US2.1 flicker effect:
Have u ever been to a rave?

The board wired up easy as always, ....no problems there, ....and the sounds are still pretty nice.
I'll update later on with Pictures and a video.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:06:23 AM by Darth_Call »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 05:16:30 AM »
OK here's my advice.

I love the blue lux V.  Very bright and a perfect shade of blue.  Royal blue will cost you some lumens.  SRD is bright but unless you are into a greenish blue like ANH it doesn't quite fit the ESB.

For the short pins.  I fought Yoda over this for months and he finally convinced me to try the longer ones to see how I liked them.  Honestly I have forgotten about my long pin short pin dilemma until I saw your post.  IMO money well spent on something else.   Yoda's point to me was the short pins will still stick out past the shell so it's really not worth it.  Your call here.

Rave?  I went to a Christian Rave once when my wife and I were leading our teen group.  This saber would have rocked the RAVE.  I was smart enough to replace the regular Gaga ball with a rubber strobe ball I found at Walmart.  It was cool.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Darth Call's ESB Graflex Build, (WIP-Updated 05/12/09)
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
Have I mentioned yet how quickly this saber is becoming my favorite!

I've still got a few things left to do, ..I FINALLY did add the Kobold D ring. I, for some reason, neglected to pick up the right screws to secure it, ...so it is temporarily held in place by a thumb screw until I can make by trip to Ace Hardware and pick up some 1/2" 8/32 screws.

Here are some new pictures and FINALLY a video! Updated the first post as well.

And 2 Videos!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 PM by Darth_Call »

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niño que llevamos adentro...
Re: Darth Call's ESB Graflex Build, (WIP-update 05/12/09)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Hi darth!! ;D
wow .. very nice the glass eyes in substitution of another red button!!! ;) !!! really it is a very good work darth I congratulate you.
A very agreeable hilt joined the incredible chassis of the Master Yoda!! :D
You have a big jewel in your hands. Congrat. ;)

Offline morrisart85

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
 :o GIMME!

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »
Hello!   ;D

Admittedly, I WAS NOT a fan of the graflex and wondered why DC was...since he can build nicer/more complex sabers.  Then, this saber started taking shape and when you hold a completed one...it will totally change your mind on this saber.  Now, I understand the fasination with a graflex.  I couldn't comfortably hold one, but they are a classic design and the SOLE reason I watched Star Wars in the first place....it was to see Luke and Vader go at it with lightsabers.

This saber took a while to make because DC was building sabers for other people, helping start two new series of sabers for Gemini Concepts AND designing and re-designing the website.  So it was a slow process...but very worth it in the end. 

Now....where's mine, DC?  ;D    ( I don't think I need to remind you that my birthday is coming up soon :D )
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:27:05 AM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »
You hit the nail on the head MJ.  It is not a practical saber for dueling as the clamp gets in the way.  However this was the first lightsaber ever.  It is what made Star Wars, Star Wars.  It is a piece of nostalgia that always draws us in.  Plus if you go with vintage you are holding exactly what Mark held in ANH and ESB.  You can get no closer to the actual prop than this. 

When I first held my completed saber I felt like I was holding the real thing.  Good luck on your birthday wish.  ;)

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niño que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
You hit the nail on the head MJ.  It is not a practical saber for dueling as the clamp gets in the way.  However this was the first lightsaber ever.  It is what made Star Wars, Star Wars.  It is a piece of nostalgia that always draws us in.  Plus if you go with vintage you are holding exactly what Mark held in ANH and ESB.  You can get no closer to the actual prop than this. 

When I first held my completed saber I felt like I was holding the real thing.  Good luck on your birthday wish.  ;)

"It is a piece of nostalgia that always draws us in.  Plus if you go with vintage you are holding exactly what Mark held in ANH and ESB."

your words have come to my heart!!! ;D

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »
I guess that is one of the reasons I have a hard time letting go of it.

It has a "feel" to it. Heavy! I love the vintage piece and the nostalgia associated with it.

NO, MJ, ...not yours!

Thanks guys for the support, the help, ........ and all you have done. This hilt is my new favorite in my collection!
This was a fun build!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:54:53 AM by Darth_Call »

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 06:33:15 AM »
That esb graflex is a beauty, DC! You did an incredible job putting that together and hope you enjoy it a long time. I'll hopefully get to build one of my own one of these days.

Offline Dann

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
Looks GREAT!  ;D

Offline Darth Necromus

• No Force
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »
That cyan looks fantastic
Only through blindness could I truly see...

Offline KNP

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »
Awesome story DC...  ;D  ;D  ;D
Thank you,
MTFBWY {Always}
Kirk P. {KNP}

retrousse