fiduciary

Author Topic: Question re curved hilts and practicality for combat  (Read 4681 times)

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
Question re curved hilts and practicality for combat
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I still have a couple decisions to make concerning my custom build, and one of those includes that for aesthetic reasons it would work better with a curved hilt.

On the other hand, my only experience with dueling comes from HEMA Longsword practice and the hilts are most certainly straight.

A curve at the rear of the hilt I can cope-with.

Do some curved hilts have the curve up-front such that the angle of the blade compared with your closed fist and forearm is different to that of a straight handle? I can think of a couple historical examples of swords that have a similar construction, but I know nothing about their use.

If so, what in general terms is the effect on its real-world usefulness as a weapon and/or the style of combat you must use with it? I don't care as much about spins and flourishes, more whether it puts the user at a disadvantage in dueling.

Thanks in advance for your help :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:59:39 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Re: Question re curved hilts and practicality for combat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
When the curve or angle is at the rear of the hilt the angle of the blade relative to the leading hand's forearm is essentially unchanged and therefore ones opponent is not facing anything they haven't faced before with a conventional straight hilt. With a curve or angle near the top of the hilt instead the blade is angled relative to the forearm/grip and that can change the handling dynamics for the user significantly depending on the shape of the grip and degree of angle/curve. I have an old angled Randomsaber where the grip is angled ~25* but as importantly the grip is designed such that two fingers are ahead of the angle point and two fingers are behind it. Simply by tightening my grip of my first two fingers and relaxing my last two fingers, or vice versa, I can instantly change the angle of blade orientation through ~50-60* of arc without ever moving my elbow or shoulder or wrist joints whatsoever. If I do move my arm I can use the same handling dynamics to 'whip' the blade point at the end of the swing much more than a conventional straight hilt would allow. Whether this is any advantage would depend on whether one's opponent was prepared for it...but it certainly presents them with a different dynamic to oppose than a straight hilt. That is my personal experience with an angled hilt, not exactly the same as curved hilt but a similar principle should apply to a forward-curved hilt if the grip positions the fingers similarly. YMMV of course. MTFBWY.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
Actually, angled is perhaps a better description for what I have in-mind.

Right, so it's a practical weapon then, and perhaps even advantageous in the hands of someone who's practiced with it.

Well the piece is crying-out to be angled, but I wasn't going to sacrifice usability for it....  the future of this saber is decided.

Actually, my right arm has slightly limited movement from a motorbike accident that nearly took it from me, so maybe this was meant to be!

Offline Elzilcho

• No Force
  • Jack of all trades master of a couple
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:55 PM »
Sorry for necroposting, but I wanted to mention I heard Christopher Lee (count dooku in the movies) requested an angled hilt as he had arthritis and it made it a little easier to perform the high speed/complexity of the AOTC duels. Also I believe due to his fencing background he was already fairly adept with hand/wrist blade control.

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
I by far have the best control with my Dooku, very good control

retrousse