fiduciary

Author Topic: R&D Testbed, Interchangeable Blades, and Incorrect Blade Detection  (Read 1829 times)

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
This maybe isn't new technology, but it's a collection of some ideas that I like along with some additions of my own.  I'm using jbkuma's aviation plug for interchangable blades and Kolgrima's Brewboard.

I received some DF Player Mini knockoffs that didn't work properly, so I decided I needed a way of trying components and new ideas before putting them in a new saber.  I put sockets on a Brewboard and attached a test saber to a piece of plywood with a breakout of a few extra pins to a breadboard.

I'm using a pullup resistor on on the Neopixel data line when using a Star LED blade and checking the status of that pin on startup to see if the correct blade is inserted.  I'm also checking the voltage to see if it is running on USB power or battery.

The programming plug has an RGB LED and a single Neopixel and can be switched between the two blade types as well as between battery and USB power.

If anyone is interested in using this, I have schematics and code I can share.

Demo video of the testbed in action.

Video showing the reason I wanted a testing rig.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:50:10 PM by BipeFlyer »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: R&D Testbed, Interchangeable Blades, and Incorrect Blade Detection
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
I'm sorry I missed this when you posted it, but great work!  Your test bed is much slicker than mine!  I really like those programming plugs you've made.

Seeing others expand upon FX-SaberOS like this makes me feel like a proud parent.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:56:30 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.  The aluminum plugs are 1" OD and 7/8" ID, so I can make 1" blades without the aluminum plugs, to fit in the same sabers.  I really wish there was more program space on the Arduino Nano, so I could have uploaded all the code and had it automatically switch when the blades are swapped. 

I've got another saber on the go where I've expanded on your Neopixel accent LED, but I had to remove the fireblade code to free up enough program space.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
I'm working on something that may help without going to a higher end board.  There is also some research being done to further optimize the code.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
This is very slick! I love seeing this kind of stuff, you really can do a lot with FX-SaberOS. And again nice to see the Brewboard being of use. Keep up the awesome work man!

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »
Thanks.  I have more projects planned for the Brewboard that are non-saber specific, but related.  I modified your board a little to break out a couple more pins for other projects.  I love what you guys have created - it's fun to modify and things are always evolving. 

retrousse