fiduciary

Author Topic: Converting a standard TCSS clickable switch to a tactile  (Read 27145 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Converting a standard TCSS clickable switch to a tactile
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
Okay,  I thought I's share this with every one that has purchased an Ultrasound 2.0 board that wants to use a tactile switch,  but has an MHS based saber using a standard TCSS push button.  This was a click-on/click-off type,  but I'd guess the momentary is the same...I have one of those I'll look into to converting next.

The first thing to do is pry open the switch housing:

These are just press-fit together,  so it should be a snap if you have a hobby knife like the one pictured.

Here's the switch dis-assembled:

The first thing you'll need to do is remove the wires.  In this switch,  there was a post in the center of a round hole that one of the wires was attached to.  This post must be removed.  Remove the wires by simply pulling them out. the post can be removed with the hobby knife,  then once that is done,  you'll need to carve out out enough room for the new tactile to fit:

All done:

Solder wires to the mini-tactile switch:

I got the mini tactile shown from here:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MPB-132/MINI-TACTILE-PUSHBUTTON/-/1.html
It has four solder legs on it,  only two are required for this. Snip off the unused legs with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers.
The switch should fit in like so:

Take the plunger apart:

See the white piece?  Toss it,  it's not needed...that is part of the latching mechanism....Don't lose the spring!  Next,  re-assemble the plunger in this order:

The spring goes in first,  followed by the copper piece:

Re-insert that assembly into the top half of the switch housing...we're almost done!

Begin re-assembly:

Be sure that the pins that hold the halves together do not interfere with your wires.  You may have to use the knife or dremel to remove a couple to allow the wires to fit through the slots in the switch top piece.  Line up the pins to their respective holes,  and push together:

Congratulations,  you now have a tactile switch to use with your Ultrasound 2.0 powered MHS saber!

* I have not yet tested this with a uS2.0,  but will shortly and will modify this post with results.

EDIT:
It seems to work just fine....I did get kicked out of the menu once the first time I activated the board,  but I've scrolled through the menu settings five times now,  using all of the settings and haven't had any trouble since.  It may actually work better without the spring,  but then the plunger is loose....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:13:00 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
Re: Converting a standard TCSS clickable switch to a tactile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
Another very useful thread Qui-gon! Bravo! I was going to buy a new switch for my MHS and re-fit the hole, but I think I'm gonna try this way first. 8)

Offline vortextwist

• formerly known as vortextwist
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
sweet man. I started doin mine last night but got tired and couldn't finish.  I just wish I could find the same switches that parks uses in his sabers.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
Added sticky!

Good job!

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
Cool and very good to know, ....this is gonna help me very much!!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
I hope this helps a few people!  I have also done the TCSS momentary style of this switch,  and it works better.  Pics of that tomorrow.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
Okay,  as promised,  here's a couple pics of the TCSS momentary switch:

The process is the same as above.  Do not use the spring,  it's pointless with the mini-tactile installed:

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:49:05 AM »
Thank You so much for this excellent instruction Master Qui Gon...this is exactly what I needed to know how to do.

And Thank You also Darth Call for pointing this thread out to me.

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Kallarhynn

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
Very cool...I wouldn't have thought of this, but it's good to know!  8)
It was on fire when I got here!

Offline morrisart85

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
Hey Qui-gon, If i send you a Red Knurled Knob, you think you could experiment with modding it with the switches from TCSS? LDM gave me an idea of cutting off the threads and drilling out a small section to attach it to the tactile/momentary. But i don't have any of the tools i'd need to do that "cleanly" All i got right now is the rotary. not even vice grips.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
Hey Qui-gon, If i send you a Red Knurled Knob, you think you could experiment with modding it with the switches from TCSS? LDM gave me an idea of cutting off the threads and drilling out a small section to attach it to the tactile/momentary. But i don't have any of the tools i'd need to do that "cleanly" All i got right now is the rotary. not even vice grips.

I'd have to see it first....send me a pm.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
Onr thing I feel I must add to this tutorial,  is that if you modify a switch in this manner it is NOT NECESSARY to use a ton of force to acviate the button...doing so may cause the bottom of the switch housing to seperate from the top,  causing the button to fail to function.  Since the mini-tactile is a tactile type of switch,  a light push or tap of the button is all it takes to actuate it.

Also,  the button in the original post did not come from TCSS.  I got it here:

Click the pic to go to the site.  The mini-tactile I installed also came from Allelectronics.com.  It can be found here:

This mini-tactile is easier to use,  than the one sold through TCSS as it has four solder tabs attached.  To install it,  snip off two of the tabs on the same side of the switch.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:24:33 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Darth Thalos

• Skipping Vinyl Playback Loop
  • Master Force User
  • oh look, a leaky canister
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »
great tutorial qui gon. 
Oh Look!  A leaky canister, *cough cough*  BRAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNS!

Offline vortextwist

• formerly known as vortextwist
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »
you should just do a bunch of them and sell em Master Qui-Gon. ;D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »
you should just do a bunch of them and sell em Master Qui-Gon. ;D

I don't know about that,  Master Windu....I have to repair CS-7 now because the switch I installed in it has come apart,  even though i had it for a couple of days,  constantly turning it on and off to be sure it wouldn't....I guess i didn't press hard enough to ensure it wouldn't fall apart on me.  I found those cheap buttons from Allelectronics.com work much better for this than the ones at TCSS.....I think it's a different type of plastic that is used in the switch that makes the difference.  That,  and if i install the spring,  you can't push too hard on it anyway.  I just installed one on my RLSA saber,  and pushed it as hard as I could,  and it didn't come apart.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:25:06 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

retrousse