fiduciary

Author Topic: Favourite Lightsaber Orientation in a Stand  (Read 10249 times)

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
Re: Favourite Lightsaber Orientation in a Stand
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:30 AM »
agree on the non existant universal stand... if you take it with all seriousness, every saber would need a specific stand to display it in its best shape... not possible in "mass production"

it's really interesting to see the stories behind everyone's saber positioning and how different the reasons are...  :)

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 04:19:58 AM »
I am interested in seeing what people say also..  that is why I never pursued making tons of them( that and they are  labor intensive ),  they really are custom pieces when it boils down to it.   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:49:43 AM by tron »
Disregard for the rules, disrespecting staff, threatening legal action or inferring it via informing staff of various laws.
Created duplicate accounts to circumvent ban.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
On a stand, I usually am also pommel left emitter right.  As Tron mentioned though, not all sabers are the same and sometimes a different orientation might be called for.  Sometimes there are asymmetrical features, for example, that you might want to "show off" which cause you to display it in the opposite orientation so, as Erv' Says  "It Dependsâ„¢" :)).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
True, and I do love me some asymmetrical features!

Just Sayin'!

Since I'm right handed, I wouldn't want any features, LEDs, offset greeblies, etc. facing my palm.  The other side isn't featureless, but most of the accents are oriented along the same, off set axis.

Knight50

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
This is definitely an interesting subject being discussed. I've never given it any thought, but when i look at my small collection, the majority is

pommel left and the emitter right.

btw Darth R, that is a beautiful saber you have on display, i really like the color scheme

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
You need another option in your poll that says "multiple orientations".  I have to agree with AG that it really depends on the particular hilt to determine the orientation.  I have my sabers facing different directions, but if it doesn't matter I usually face them left to right (pommel left, emitter right).

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
This is definitely an interesting subject being discussed. I've never given it any thought, but when i look at my small collection, the majority is

pommel left and the emitter right.

btw Darth R, that is a beautiful saber you have on display, i really like the color scheme

Thanks dude, it's my personal CF saber I built. Lots of brass accent and some copper-ish paint. Light weathering.

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »

With my Jade Fallen which has tons of greeblies

Disregard for the rules, disrespecting staff, threatening legal action or inferring it via informing staff of various laws.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
I've never thought about the direction

Most of the stands I have, are set up to go a specific way based on the differing diameters of the hilt's design.
On the one's that are an even diameter end to end, no preference is given. IDK if it has to do with being a lefty and needing to be ambidextrous when handling "tools" or "never thought about the direction"

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
Tron those pics are amazing, how on earth did you achieve that quality lol.

I also agree that each saber dictates a specific orientation on a stand. There is absolutely no right or wrong way to do it, its absolutely a matter of preference of the owner and about what looks good with each particular saber.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:10:03 PM by Vercify »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
My sabers alternate back and forth between pommel and emitter. The Skywalker sabers and the blasters sit opposite and mirror each other.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
My sabers alternate back and forth between pommel and emitter. The Skywalker sabers and the blasters sit opposite and mirror each other.

clearly you are still looking for those ESB grips, lol  ;) btw, have you considered contacting Parks? He has an ESB kit that he uses for his graflex replicas and i think those parts are readily available...

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 04:22:26 AM »
one reason I offer different rod lengths..  Conceivably the rods could be any length necessary really.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:58:57 AM by tron »

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »
You need another option in your poll that says "multiple orientations".

yeah, for sure it's an option! ;) but in this case, it's the favourite orientation, which is asked for! ;) may it be consciously or unconsciously  :)

of course it totally depends on a saber, i.e. if you want to display a clamp! ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:07:36 AM by LordBlako »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

clearly you are still looking for those ESB grips, lol  ;) btw, have you considered contacting Parks? He has an ESB kit that he uses for his graflex replicas and i think those parts are readily available...

@Vercify: I don't think I'll need to. ARKM got in contact with me today and looks like he'll be setting me up.

Back on topic:

I never really voted for my favorite orientation. I say, emitter left, pommel right, like the way my personal saber is positioned.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

retrousse