fiduciary

Author Topic: My Luke ANH review - it stinks!  (Read 22647 times)

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
My Luke ANH review - it stinks!
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
It just arrived moments ago.

I ordered it MONTHS ago.

It's possibly the worst MR I've had yet.

I don't know why anyone is raving about this saber.  It's made almost entirely of plastic... NO metal that I can see or feel.  That makes it VERY light.  Maybe if you enjoy spinning that's good, but if you drop it... I don't forsee it lasting very long

If (like me) you enjoy the solid feel and weight of the Obi Wan, this is the exact opposite.  It really feels cheap and shoddy.  Just holding it and shifting the weight in your hand you can HEAR and feel the plastic creaking.  Everyone in the office thought it was broken just from watching me move it around and hearing how much play there was in the parts.

I compared it to the Anakin and the Anakin is noticably heavier and has a MUCH more solid feel.

The sound is also lacking.  Yes, it's loud, but the sound quality is poor and sounds a bit muffled.  Again, in a side by side comparison with the Anakin, the Anakin has bright, clear sound, and the Luke ANH sounds like it's coming from under an old sock.

The blade is pretty much the same as the Anakin and Obi Wan.

From what people are saying it's a very close reproduction of the grafflex, and if you're looking for authenticity that may be the only reason to own this saber, but for quality worksmanship, this is the worst thing I've seen from MR in a long time.

It's the first one I wish I hadn't bought.  It may not be a perfect replica, but if you want a "Luke" saber, the Anakin is MUCH better bet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:30:29 PM by Mojo_LA »

Offline Elandron

• Experienced Force User
  • "You must unlearn what you have learned."
Re: My Luke ANH review - it stinks!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
Darn Sith... just can't keep em out of my head...and it's looking better and better with almost every post...

*Looks deeply at swgindy and makes slight hand gesture*  "You will purchase one of Yoda's beautiful graflex works of art...Price is no obstacle...you WANT the graflex..."

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:29:47 PM »
;) You know you want one sw...I mean Elandron!

Mojo, the hilt itself is metal, it's just thinner aluminum than the V2 or V3 Anakin sabers. The first release of the Anakin ROTS had the same type of lighter weight aluminum that the ANH has now.

I feel your pain though on the creaking of the blade. My Very first ROTS Ani did that. :(

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:22:35 PM »
To me, the ANH FX is a decent attempt at a graflex ON A MASTER REPLICAS FX LEVEL.  ;)  I'm a firm believer in having different standards for different categories.  Everyone, for example, holds Yoda's Graflexes at the highest standard - which is the way it should be, because you're getting true workmanship and value with his sabers.

But when we're talking about the MR FXs, we have to leave A LOT of latitude for inaccuracies, cut corners, etc.  They're to be expected.  It's all about the FX first, replica second issue.  Most of the MR sabers are FXs first and foremost - the company designs the replica around the electronics, rather than the electronics around the replica.  Fine, that's the standard that has been set ever since the first FX was released in 2002.

So the MR sabers get the job done based on the standard that has been set for them already.  There are a lot of happy people out there who are absolutely thrilled and satisfied with their MR FXs - as they should.  They're still very cool things after all.   I mean they power up and power down, you can get em in different colors, and they make all sorts of neat lightsaber sounds.  ;) 

This doesn't mean, however, that creaking is to be accepted as a cut corner.  Creaking is a major problem with the ANH FX and is totally unacceptable - that much is for sure.

But in regards to the general design, if you want a graflex that's as close as possible to the saber Luke held in ANH and TESB, you know where to go.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:36:27 AM by Jedimoves »

Offline PRINCESS LEIA

• Her Worshipfulness
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Well,Somebody has to save our skins!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »
To me the only thing that the Luke ANH FX is got going for it. Is the weight of it .I personally won't be getting one.That much for a saber I want a little more craftmanship..I already spent enough on the double Maul and the Leia blaster.Besides I want my first love saber fixed(Qui-Gon) I won't be getting one. Sorry workmanship a saber does not one make one. If you want to duel the heck out of it without spending 300.00 get it otherwise NOT! IMO

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent-now get outta here
I'm out of it a little while and everyone has delusions of granduer

Offline Darthmischief

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:00:56 AM »
Seen one with my own eyes I have not. Dismayed by the "creaking" comments of many.

Saving my money for a Graflex I will be! At least a Parks conversion.

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:25:21 AM »
To me, the ANH FX is a decent attempt at a graflex ON A MASTER REPLICAS FX LEVEL.... So the MR sabers get the job done based on the standard that has been set for them already. 

I agree with you, and MR has set a higher standard themselves on FX sabers with the ones that have come before ANH.  The ObI Wan, Vader ANH and even the Anakin ROTS sport MUCH better quality than this saber.  All I expected was for MR to live up the THEIR OWN standard and I was very disappointed.

This is the first saber that really felt like a toy.  It's hard to believe the same company made this cheap, plastic piece of poo doo and the heavy, robust and solid Obi Wan saber.

Seriously, shame on them.

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
It's made almost entirely of plastic... NO metal that I can see or feel.

What?!

Now I'm really beginning to think this saber has been altered since I got mine. My saber is mostly metal. The button/glass eye knobs are plastic, and the emitter ring is plastic -- plus the pieces you'd expect, like the T-grips and the bubble strip -- but the rest of it is all metal, and doesn't feel cheap or plasticky in any way whatsoever.

I'd really like to handle one of the recently released ones. I'm getting a strong feeling that you guys are getting a different saber than I did.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »
It's made almost entirely of plastic... NO metal that I can see or feel.

What?!

Now I'm really beginning to think this saber has been altered since I got mine. My saber is mostly metal. The button/glass eye knobs are plastic, and the emitter ring is plastic -- plus the pieces you'd expect, like the T-grips and the bubble strip -- but the rest of it is all metal, and doesn't feel cheap or plasticky in any way whatsoever.

I'd really like to handle one of the recently released ones. I'm getting a strong feeling that you guys are getting a different saber than I did.

That may be a possibility, and would explain the delays... I'm now interested as to exactly what I'll find when mine arrives. :-\

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 05:06:57 AM »
It looks like a last tempt of taking as much money as you can into your grave.
MR has all the orders from the big resellers, so the money was already in.
So now, when there is no future for them anymore, they can rip-off everyone.
They already did changed there replacement rules.
Now they let a view people buy a new saber, so they can make a verry positive and mey I say, beautyfull review, and it worked, because of those reviews, I ordered one too, and than they change there production in China, and deliver us something completely differend.

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 05:21:53 AM »
Another thing do,...
My friend has the Luke ROTJ LED edition.
He bought it right after I got my Anakin ROTS.
Now, the Ani that I have is verry heavy compared to the first release, that I had in my hand ones, and felt verry toyish.
When I saw his Luke ROTJ and felt that one, it was verry toyish too.
Much to light (not bright haha).
So maybe, this is the problem with this new Luke ANH.
Maybe it is metal, but just like the Luke ROTJ, it is to light.
I hope so, because tomorrow I receive mine, along with the full Darth Maul.
They came along this morning, but I was not at home.
They didn't leave it behind, because I have to pay tax for it (XXXXXX)
Okay, when I don't like the Luke ANH, I sell it right away, and I have always the full Maul as a reward.

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »
 ;D

I'll check this out closely whenever i get mine. ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
Mine was picked up today in Bangor ME.

It should be here in a few days so I can inspect it further.

Offline Elandron

• Experienced Force User
  • "You must unlearn what you have learned."
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »
From what a few posts sound like... they pulled an "Ani" switch on the production?

You think that might be since the license is up at the end of the year?

Will be interesting to see what you get DT.

Offline rob

• Experienced Force User
  • What Would Porkins Do?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
To me, the ANH FX is a decent attempt at a graflex ON A MASTER REPLICAS FX LEVEL.  ;)  I'm a firm believer in having different standards for different categories.  Everyone, for example, holds Yoda's Graflexes at the highest standard - which is the way it should be, because you're getting true workmanship and value with his sabers.

But when we're talking about the MR FXs, we have to leave A LOT of latitude for inaccuracies, cut corners, etc.  They're to be expected.  It's all about the FX first, replica second issue.  I'v heard many arguments about how most of the MR sabers are FXs first and foremost - how the company designs the replica around the electronics, rather than the electronics around the replica.  And that's alright, because that's the standard that has been set ever since the first FX was released in 2002.

So the MR sabers get the job done based on the standard that has been set for them already.  There are a lot of happy people out there who are absolutely thrilled and satisfied with their MR FXs - as they should.  They're still very cool things after all.  8)  I mean they power up and power down, you can get em in different colors, and they make all sorts of neat lightsaber sounds.  ;)  ;)

If you want a graflex that's as close as possible to the saber Luke held in ANH and TESB, you know where to go.  ;D

I always love the old "What do you expect for $120.00" outlook.  I expect a whole lot more than you do apparantley.  It is this type of thinking that has brought this hobby to the point where "collectors" are willing to pay $400.00 for some silly MR hilt that is not nearly as screen accurate as a $150.00 vintage graflex + a $35.00 Blast-Tech kit.

I also tend to look at the comparison between these FX sabers and Yoda's masterpieces from a much different perspective.  Many of you seem to be saying that the FX quality should be horrible at $120.00 because a truly masterful saber like Yoda's costs $470.00.  As far as I can tell by looking at the two products side by side, the exact opposite is true.  If Yoda can provide what he does for $470.00, the MR ANH FX should be priced closer to $75.00.

I'm not sure why people have such feverish fanboy loyalty to this company, they have always provided their products at outlandish prices which were tolerated only because of the quality of these products.  Once the quality is taken out of the picture you have a piece of **** at an outlandish price...enter the Luke ANH FX.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:01:57 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

retrousse