fiduciary

Author Topic: Textured Mylar tape  (Read 805 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Textured Mylar tape
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »
This stuff https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Textured-Mylar-Tape-Strip-P378.aspx

How well does it hold up to handling, long term? I've got a few strips of the stuff I've been meaning to use to tactically hide some ugly on a build, but from experience, self adhesive mylar tape stuck on metal does tend to peel off/start slipping after a while, especially if it's handled often.
Better late than never.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Re: Textured Mylar tape
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »
A lot depends on where you get the tape. I used the TCSS stuff for a few builds, and as long as your properly prepare the surface (acetone on the metal), it won’t peel for quite a while.

Like any tape, once exposed to heat and sweat, it will peel eventually. But it is cheap to replace and is just part of the maintenance process. The only tape I have seen that does not wear over time, is the aluminum tape for ductwork. That stuff is beast and doesn’t go anywhere. Ever.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:05:50 AM »
A lot depends on where you get the tape. I used the TCSS stuff for a few builds, and as long as your properly prepare the surface (acetone on the metal), it won’t peel for quite a while.

Like any tape, once exposed to heat and sweat, it will peel eventually. But it is cheap to replace and is just part of the maintenance process.

Fair enough. I've got a few strips from TCSS and a few sheets of what the folks on the RPF figured was the original material (to my eye there's very little difference between the two.)

The only tape I have seen that does not wear over time, is the aluminum tape for ductwork. That stuff is beast and doesn’t go anywhere. Ever.

Yeah. It's a shame that stuff is so thin, though, there's no way to improve it. I tried anodising it once, it survived the process with the adhesive intact, but the moment it was applied around a tube, the anodising started cracking. Can't be cut with a vinyl cutter, either, and it melts in a millisecond if you try etching it.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »
Did you try immersion etching or brush etching?  (descriptive names I maybe just made up)  For brush etching you can soak a cotton swab and grip it with an alligator clip and brush it over the surface. I've used this method for a number of things that I either couldn't immerse or it was too hard to mask.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
Did you try immersion etching or brush etching?  (descriptive names I maybe just made up)

I've definitely heard those names before somewhere, so I get what you mean. And it was brush etching, I think (this was years ago, I'd have to check my notes).
Better late than never.

retrousse