fiduciary

Author Topic: Vader ROTJ  (Read 20060 times)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
Vader ROTJ
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
Is this a modified graflex?  I noticed that in the description on one site, that they said that they utilized a Luke Stunt Saber from Empire Strikes Back to make the Vader in ROTJ.

Just wondering because it looks nothing like the MPP Flash, and I'd be interested in the future having a ROTJ Luxeon Vader made.

Just would like to have my information handy ahead of time.  Right now I'm focusing on my MPP Vintage ANH.

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
Re: Vader ROTJ
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:07:04 PM »
good question.
i would think that it is a MPP or Heiland flash. with a graflex you would have to get rid of the bunny ears and do all of that extra work to get it to look like that. i may be wrong though  ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »
Here's part of the article about the ROTJ Vader:

Eagle eyed fans will notice however that the Dark Lord of the Sith's lightsaber has altered since its last appearance in the saga. The prop used in the previous episode was no longer available, so the resourceful prop department took the similar looking Luke Skywalker stunt lightsaber from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, added a collar and changed the coloring at the top of the lightsaber to recreate the distinctive black emitter shroud of Vader's weapon. The fighting blade was cut down, leaving a protruding rod, and the mid-band altered to recreate the black activator panel. Further details were added to the neck area resulting is a similar, yet quite distinct representation of the last lightsaber ever wielded by Darth Vader before his redemption. © 2006 Lucasfilm Ltd & TM

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »
Also, here's a link to an Vader ROTJ LE for sale on ebay.  If you look at it sideways, it's seems like they shaved off the "bunny ears" like Aluke had stated, and added an emitter shroud to go over the end tip.

Anyone have clarification on this?

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
Yes, the Vader ROTJ is based on a Graflex and not the MPP flash. Here is a link that has some great pictures of the Vader ROTJ.
http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm42.showMessageRange?topicID=11.topic&start=21&stop=40
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:36:49 PM by robiwon »
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Super sith 22

• Master Force User
  • ROCK ON!
    • sabercity
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »
here is a guy making an EL vader "style" out of a graflex

http://www.elvistrooper.com/dvrotj/default.htm
"A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or an alligator." -Homer Simpson

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
That EL came out great looking.  Do you think there's enough room inside the hilt for a Luxeon version?  When it showed the inside view of the hilt, it seemd like the nuts attaching from the outside to the inside take up a good amount of room in there.

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
if it is based off a graflex then just get the tcss conversion kit  and then do the necassary coloring and cut off the rabit ears ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
Kind of weird Aluke.  I was reading through that website link about the conversion the guy did.  He didn't cut the ears, he heated the metal and was careful to bend them.  He even made mention to be carfeul about NOT breaking the ears.

Pretty odd.

Offline Snoballz

• Master Force User
  • a toy never played with is not a toy at all
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:59:04 PM »
The Vader ROTJ is by far my favorite Vader saber.

Another good site to read about the pieces used in constructing this saber is The Parts of Star Wars.  As its been pointed out, it was made from a Luke ESB stunt saber.   It's basically a Graflex tube with a few added greeblies.  It shouldn't be too hard to add electronics to one if you attach the hex bolts differently.  Maybe just cut off the heads of the bolts and glue them on.

Now comes the fun part.  Getting accurate pieces to make one is not easy.  I own a fan built one that can be seen in my showoff thread, but I have been slowly aquiring parts to build one myself.  Elvistrooper isn't making his kits anymore and it's almost impossible to find an accurate ball catch.  No one really knows what the plug in the bottom is, but a chrome tire valve looks pretty close.  I've been lucky enough to find two emitter shrouds (one aluminum and one resin), an aluminum D-ring "post" for the top of the saber, and a resin control box.  The grips and Kobold (rear) D-ring can be purchased from Blast-Tech.

If you're a DIY kinda guy, here's an execellent tutorial by WadaYado, the guy who built mine.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:36:20 AM »
Yes those are all excellent places to find info on doing the Vader ROTJ ;)

The only real issue with doing the Lux conversions with the 1inch blade, are the top
2 Black beveled screws.

They pass into the socket and actually need to be glued in place.

Yes I have one here I've been tinkering with a bit, but I'm waiting till I have more
time so I can do it perfectly.
Will it be an offerend saber? not sure yet, but I'd think it's main popularity will arise
for celebration 6 so I have time to work out the issues with it ;) :D

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
i haver always liked the vader ROTJ.....IMO, it kind of has a dangerous, almost painful look to it. very distinct weapon to the wielder.
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• Formerly known as Acampa
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »
I saw around somewhere that they made the Vader ANH out of a graflex too.  They just modded it a bit more then the luke
"Two Morgukai against one wounded Jedi? Seems unfair. Would it help if I closed my eyes?"
―Quinlan Vos

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 09:37:56 PM »
The ANH saber actually had four seperate designs, if memory serves me correctly.  I'm not sure exactly (I have it on my bookmarks somewhere) but I believe one was a MPP flash, one was a Synchronar, one was a Graflex....can't remember the fourth.   :-\

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
I know... so many versions and only one hook to hang them from ;D

I think the last one you may be refering to is of the Sabers that has been on exibition tours.

There are a few parted out Vaders like the Lukes that have missing buttons etc...
Theres a few updated picts over on partsofstarwars.com under the ESB vader ;)

You'd think the prop people would have been a little more careful, but then it reminds me
how even now in ROTS, Obiwan and Anakin endup holding the wrong sabers during a scene on mustafar :D
at least GL's prop managers lack of consistency is consistent after all this time :D

retrousse