fiduciary

Author Topic: Chancellor's Obi-Wan ROTS Force Fx Review  (Read 11030 times)

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
Chancellor's Obi-Wan ROTS Force Fx Review
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »
Obi-Wan ROTS Force Fx (2006) Review

History:
Obi-Wan: You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now... until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.
Anakin Skywalker: Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire.
Obi-Wan: Your new Empire?
Anakin Skywalker: Don't make me kill you.
Obi-Wan: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic... to democracy!
Anakin Skywalker: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.
Obi-Wan: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.
Anakin Skywalker: You will try.

This was the historical saber that made Anakin taste some dirt. Totally fell in love with this saber when I saw the Revenge Of The Sith and I thought it looked so much like Luke's saber in the Return Of The Jedi. Ofcourse it's all different, but some resemble's there. I always wanted this fx saber to be released on the same time as Anakin ROTS fx, because I was so hyped about the whole ROTS madness back then as many of you. Well, anyhow it feels good to have it now too, even though I'm hyped about other things now, better later than ever...

Story:
After such a long wait I was able to get this awesome saber, the Master Replicas Obi-Wan ROTS fx saber. I still remember when I saw this saber on the first time I was like "nah, I think I'll pass, just another blue saber". From those days things have changed and as this saber came to a local online store I just couldn't resist getting this. The site said it was on stock, but to my very big surprise "again" I had to wait like over a month to get this on my hands eventually. Well now that I have it, I must say it was worth the wait, since it ranks the best force saber in my opinion. My favorite saber is still the Luke Rotj, but it feels a bit kinda light to be a "real lightsaber" and I can get cuts from the hilt when spinning, otherwise Luke ROTJ is such a lovely saber, but the truth is still that I cannot find anything wrong with Obi ROTS saber, like for the first time, well actually Vader ESB was pretty superb too. One other thing that made me to buy this saber was the need to do a comparison between Luke ROTJ and Obi ROTS. I always wanted to compare these two sabers and they're not alike as much as I thought in advance. Anyhow, I got the note from mail and after 5 minutes I was already on my way to the post office. The woman in the post office knows my hobby and he looked me like "here's your another stupid saber, just take it and off you go", nah  :D, just kidding. Back in home wife almost killed me with the staring eyes saying "aah, another one again, perhaps our kids would like to play with it". I was like  :'(, "not in your life" and runned into bedroom to unwrap this thing of beauty from awesome looking box. Afterwards I let my older daughter to play with it a bit and she seemed to like it, specially when she was beating me with it  :D.

First Impression:
When I pulled the Mr box from the cardboardbox and saw the Obi-Wan image I was so impressed by it. I only wish they had putted character images to older boxes too. One picture on the box actually does miracles and makes it look so much cooler. I just couldn't wait to open it, I was so excited. As I saw it the first time, my first impression was overwhelming and it was so much more prettier than in the pictures. The photos just doesn't do a justice to this magnificent piece of art. So very very happy about the hilt, the design, weight and all details. My own first impression quote, I'll try to imitate "WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW"""  :D

The Hilt:
What can I say about it? It's a thing of beauty! Not the plastic feeling as you might think of from the pics, not at all. Actually one of the reasons why I didn't pick this earlier, was that the hilt looked a bit toyish, but you should not doubt it like I did, it's so awesome in live. I might not go into material details of the hilt, because those things have been written already and I dont wanna bore you to death. The endcap is bigger than in Luke ROTJ fx and heavier, also very cool looking. The top of the hilt is most awesome, the best I have seen in any fx saber. The whole hilt doesn't look so bulky, because the hilt's top circle is large and wide. About the ignite button, it works pretty much the same way as on Vader ESB.So very beutiful and I just cannot stop repeating that, haha  :D. By the way, fingerprints are quite visible with the surface...

The Sounds:
Sounds and effects are a little bit lower than in my Anakin Rots and Luke ROTJ, but not too low. Still enough volume to wake your whole family, cat's & dogs, babies and wife. Oh my, we don't want that to happend  ;D. The motion sensons aligned with sounds aren't just as perfect as in Anakin Rots, because Anakin had like the best sensor movement sounds ever, but still decent and pretty much the same as in many other sabers. To make it short, they sound like Anakin, quite a bit, not just as aggressive I think.

The Blade:
Nothing special to say about the blade other than it's blue as blue can be. Not the kind of light blue as in Luke ESB, but just the kinda blue as in movies and what Anakin fx has. Don't expect to be blown away with the blade, atleast I didn't. It felted pretty casual blade, quite spotless and good blade. The result might always change a bit when changed to expensive batteries, like Energizer but I don't it's gonna be that different when compared to what I used (Varta Max tech). I'm satisfied with the color and blade.

Overall:
Well these were my thoughts, other reviews may be more wiser and accurate in details, but anyway I wanted to give some of my own style to these reviews, so they're not all quite the same. Such a super saber, get it while you can and don't waste your time thinking about it!!!! Haha  :D, just kidding. No really, take your time... As you might know already, almost everybody has liked and loved this saber and I cannot say otherwise, because the people are correct. If you're going to get one saber out of the ones released, then get this one. Or then wait for the Yoda Fx, it might be quite superb fx also.

Here are my Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX (2006) rates:
Size 10/10
Weight 10/10
Build quality 9.5/10
Hilt surface 9/10
Looks 10/10
Usability (tricks and spins) 10/10
Brightness 9/10
Sound 9/10
Motion sensors 8.5/10

-NEW RATE!
To make your friends jealous 10/10

OVERALL 9.5/10

Some pictures below:

May the force be with you all  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:28:52 PM by CHANCELLOR PALPATINE »

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
Re: Chancellor's Obi-Wan ROTS Force Fx Review
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Great Review, I'm really glad you like your Obi Chancellor. Nice pictures and very well structure review.  :)

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »
Great Review, I'm really glad you like your Obi Chancellor. Nice pictures and very well structure review.  :)

Thanks, I actually didn't have anything major to say about it, oh man, shouldn't write reviews when tired, but I'll make a better review for Darth Maul Full Force Fx when I have the time for it  ;)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
Love my Obi also, but like I always say in these reviews....they spent so much time trying to make this thing look very sweet, yet they decided to keep the copper paint on section of the hilt instead of splurge a couple of extra cents and have it copper plated like they did for the gold section of the Obi.

:-\

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
Love my Obi also, but like I always say in these reviews....they spent so much time trying to make this thing look very sweet, yet they decided to keep the copper paint on section of the hilt instead of splurge a couple of extra cents and have it copper plated like they did for the gold section of the Obi.

:-\

Truth to that! I used my Anakin Rots a few times and the copper paint on the ignite button started to wear off. It kinda makes you not want to touch and play with these things now on. I rather keep mine fx sabers mint now and beware of ruining these things. These still cost here like a 180-200 $, so it kinda sucks that MR does some of these hilts the way it does  :-\, Mace is the worst
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:01:39 PM by CHANCELLOR PALPATINE »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:03 PM »
 8)Great review chancellor and congrats on your obi-wan!!I have two of them.One is from masterreplicas which is like it came ;and;I bought one from ultra sabers with a lexeon guardian blue blade. I'll tell you this ;when I detach the ultra saber obi-wan's blade and wear that cool hilt on my side for a moment;I feel like obi-wan haha!DaJoQuim ;D

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 04:33:14 AM »
Very nice review. And, welcome to the good side of the Force Chancellor! I love my Obi-Wan as well, fat neck and all. After a few minutes you really don't notice the neck anymore. However, I have always thought it was a little too heavy. Spinning fast and dropping it into your shin is just a little more painful than the ROTJ! The best blade so far. Cheers.
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 05:55:23 AM »
Wow Robi, you thought it was heavy?  Maybe it is in regards to the ROTJ, but to me, it seems a little lightweight.  I'm used to having a bit more tip weight to help the rotation of the spin.  That was the first thing I noticed about the Obi was the lack of weight towards the end.

Of course, before this I've only had a Mace ROTS, Vader ESB, Maul Staff Saber, and a Ultra DIY Anakin ROTS, so maybe I just got used to a little bit more weight.

But, I love my Obi.  Easily the most adaptable saber to spinning and performing stunts in my opinion.

Of course, I don't own a Luke ROTJ yet  :)

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 06:02:22 AM »
Hey there Lord Vader. If you want a fast spinning saber, look no further than the ROTJ Luke! I only have experience with four sabers though, my Obi, Luke ROTJ, Vader ESB, and my old Luke ESB. Out of these the Obi is far heavier to me. But that's just me.  ;D
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »

This was the historical saber that made Anakin taste some dirt.

:D That would have been funny for Obi-wan to admit to Luke ;)

Luke: What is it?

Obiwan: It's your father's light saber, this is the weapon of a Jedi Knight... not as clumsy or random as a blaster.
             an elegant weapson froma more civilized age"

Luke: And is that your lightsaber Obiwan?

Obiwan: Why yes it is... oh I haven't used that since I hacked off your fathers limbs with it...

Luke: what?

:D

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »

Obiwan: It's your father's light saber, this is the weapon of a Jedi Knight... not as clumsy or random as a blaster.

Obiwan: Why yes it is... oh I haven't used that since I hacked off your fathers limbs with it...

Or if the conversation went like this :

Obi-Wan: It's your father's light saber, this is the weapon that he used to hack up small children in the Jedi Temple on his way to becoming Darth Vader.... not as clumsy or random as a blaster.
             an elegant weapon from a more civilized age"

Luke: W--wwhat?!?!

Obi-Wan: Oops... *waves hand in front of Luke* You did not just hear me say that.

Luke: I did not just hear you say that....

Obi-Wan: *Whew*

Luke: Umm...you were saying some thing about this being my Father's lightsaber?

Obi-Wan: Oh yes, as I was saying...

Obi-Wan: It's your father's light saber, this is the weapon of a Jedi Knight... not as clumsy or random as a blaster.
             an elegant weapon from a more civilized age...."

-Joclad

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:36:38 AM by JOCLAD DANVA »

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »

LMFAO!  :D, Hahaha, good one Mike  :D

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »
OMG...I can't stop laughing...LOL....

Obi-wan: You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them!

Darth Vader: Yeah, well they had a better HMO and 401K plan, and seeing as how you totally screwed up my legs and arm, it looks like I'll be using it, you xxx of a friend!  I hate you!  Hey, come back here.  I'm not quite dead yet!  I'll bite you in the knee caps.

Offline vivan_cygna

• formerly known as Vivan Cygna
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 10:41:29 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAH! LMAO, LOL, LOL.. HAHAHAHAHAHAAA  ;D
You guys really make me laugh till I drop some tears!

Oh.. and great review Chancellor. Obi-Wan ROTS FX is sure IMO the most amazing piece MR had ever produced.
Eat all the bacon!

Offline Jedi Kure

• Experienced Force User
  • And you will learn your place young one.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 02:12:55 AM »
OMG! thats some funny stuff.  :D

Excellent Reveiw as well!
"This Weapon Is Your Life"

retrousse