fiduciary

Author Topic: Would you like to see a "What's it worth?" section added to the site?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Do you ever wonder what a Star Wars saber/prop/collectible you own that's older is worth?
Want to post something for sale and know it's current value?

Possible restrictions:
Posting of current(6 months old) Trade Federation sales prohibited.
Linking to sales outside of the forum after query is posted.
50 post minimum hard coded into the area.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
Re: Would you like to see a "What's it worth?" section added to the site?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:43:01 AM »
I voted yes to no rules if a member is selling something overpriced he might not know which means it might not sell or the seller is trying to rip off an unsuspecting new to the saber scene buyer just like the ones trying to sell NB fitted korbanth 2.0 graflex sabers on ebay for over $2000
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:22:59 AM »
I actually voted 'no' - it's not a hard 'no', and my thinking is that it may be hard to moderate and people aren't always great at distinguishing opinions and price bashing from offering constructive, objective info; plus if it's going to happen, I think being able to offer links to examples off site is kind of essential. Were you thinking to disallow links to off site items currently for sale or to allow links to stuff like completed, sold eBay listings? Maybe I'd change my vote if I misunderstood and the latter was allowed.

What I think would be really helpful for people gauging prices is to include as guidance for the Trade Federation for FS posts with sold items to leave the price and edit it to be struck out and/or add SOLD next it, rather than the sale post edited to delete the price and replace it with 'Sold'. I appreciate that this may not always reflect offers made in PM and the final price agreed between a buyer and seller, but it offers a really useful ballpark reference of what similar items have previously sold for on site (IMO), which is often lost when items have been sold and the price in the sale post deleted.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
Voted no as I don’t believe there is enough data to provide good information.  These are often not mass produced items and I think it’s give more reason for price bashing.  For example...what would a Yoda graflex built several years ago be worth now with recent auctions of $7000-$15000!  Fair price is in the eye of the beholder and people need to do a little bit of homework on their own.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Also voted no. I think some of the other concerns recently raised about rules and structure here relate directly to how this could be well intentioned but ultimately not serve to better the community.

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
maybe?

What becomes subjective is the install and the design.  Every saber is going to have parts (board/battery/LED/hopefully a chassis).  the hilt also might be simple to price if it's MHS, a common replica, or priced from a run.  What would complicate the estimate is if it was a one-off, who did it, who wired it, and what are comparables.  It would be interesting to see an "Antiques Roadshow" section, but it could be contentious.  Say, a Yoda or Harp Graflex, or a custom Axis or K3GR1 would be worth something more depending on the audience.  I saw some joker saying that $1000 for a saber is ridiculous, but then I thought of AceRocket's un-named copper hilt and laughed to myself.

you might be able to give a ballpark range, but even that would be tough.

Offline fonzie

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 05:09:30 AM »
I actually voted 'no' - it's not a hard 'no', and my thinking is that it may be hard to moderate and people aren't always great at distinguishing opinions and price bashing from offering constructive, objective info; plus if it's going to happen, I think being able to offer links to examples off site is kind of essential. Were you thinking to disallow links to off site items currently for sale or to allow links to stuff like completed, sold eBay listings? Maybe I'd change my vote if I misunderstood and the latter was allowed.

What I think would be really helpful for people gauging prices is to include as guidance for the Trade Federation for FS posts with sold items to leave the price and edit it to be struck out and/or add SOLD next it, rather than the sale post edited to delete the price and replace it with 'Sold'. I appreciate that this may not always reflect offers made in PM and the final price agreed between a buyer and seller, but it offers a really useful ballpark reference of what similar items have previously sold for on site (IMO), which is often lost when items have been sold and the price in the sale post deleted.

I like the idea of leaving the price as a ballpark to what it sold for and not being able to edit and replace it with sold. I belong to another nonsaber forum and that is the policy there.

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »
I have to be a no vote on this one... prices vary on too many variables.

Plus, there's been many times I know I've paid what "most" people would probably consider to be too much just because it was something I've really wanted. I've also sold stuff for quite a bit more than I've had into it just because of the sentimental value involved that it just wasn't worth selling to me if I didn't get a certain number of value that I had put on it.

I've also sold stuff for a lot less than I bought it for just cause I needed the money or had no future use for it...

I think people are going to have to just do some research and decide for themselves whether or not an item is worth the price or not...

Most people on here would certainly be willing to share their opinion (in a private PM) as to whether or not something again,,,, (In their opinion) is worth what a person is asking for an item.

I've been taken to the cleaners and I've gotten awesome deals. Stay within your budget and ask yourself how much you really want an item and how hard it is to find or how rare something is. It shouldn't be up to an arbitrary group of people to put a value on something.

Seller and buyer determine that.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
While the idea has some merit, there is also a lot that could “go wrong” and /or cause a lot of headaches. I would also vote no at the moment.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

retrousse