fiduciary

Author Topic: The Rebellion, Projects coming soon...U really want to see this...EXAR KUN too!!  (Read 38826 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Re: The Rebellion, Projects coming soon...you really want to see this.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Thank you everyone (for the input).  This is a great time to make yourself heard, because we will try to use the input that we receive to determine the build order.  Remember, the renders of the Exar Kun will be posted soon as well...my personal favorite.

*Edit*  Stay frosty:  We still seem to be having a scoche of trouble with the whole "trim level" question ;)  *takes out spoon* PCv2.0, CSv1 and most likely stunt.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:58:57 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline EyeoftheRaven

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
Personally, I am glad to see the obi-wan apprentice saber on that list. It has been a favorite of mine since pretty much forever.

Is this a long established hilt?  I thought it was made up.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Personally, I am glad to see the obi-wan apprentice saber on that list. It has been a favorite of mine since pretty much forever.

Is this a long established hilt?  I thought it was made up.

It is my understanding the hilt is based of this image here:

I know a few have been machined in the past, but nothing available to the public like this will be.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »

Is this a long established hilt?  I thought it was made up.

It is my understanding the hilt is based of this image here:

Indeed it was (to the best of my knowledge).

holy crap...18 people looking at this thread at once...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:01:43 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »
I've been wanting that obi hilt ever since I saw the book cover.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I've been wanting that obi hilt ever since I saw the book cover.

...and have it you now shall! :D

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »
Let me start by saying I will definitely be grabbing an obi padawan hilt.

That said, I kind of hate that the saber exists. Lore-wise, his padawan hilt was his TPM hilt. He was still a padawan in TPM. The book cover was just...well a lazy artist. And this is a recurring theme with the book covers, and why almost every NJO jedi has the same basic saber (basically a luke hero with tiny tweaks) - lazy artists.

By comparison, the continuity of the comic book artists is really quite good, albeit a few lapses here and there. As a saber fan it just bugs me how the cover designers are often the only source we have to go on for certain characters, and so often they're terrible, inconsistent, or disagree entirely with established canon.

Edit: perfect example - cover of Legacy of the Force: Fury - Ben suddenly has Obi's TPM saber somehow: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070711000845/starwars/images/3/3c/FuryCover.jpg

Ok rant over :p
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:56:35 PM by Deke »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »
Edit: perfect example - cover of Legacy of the Force: Fury - Ben suddenly has Obi's TPM saber somehow: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070711000845/starwars/images/3/3c/FuryCover.jpg
I believe there is actually a story behind that,  but I can't remember where I read it. The padawan hilt from the book cover was my suggestion for a run,  and I always imagined that one being his original training saber that the Temple provided,  whereas the one seen in Episode I was the first one he actually built himself upon being accepted as Qui-gon 's apprentice.  

A more likely explanation might be the fact that he was actually passed over for training as a padawan and was sent to the agri-corp where he eventually crossed paths with Qui-gon Jinn,  who was impressed with him in the field and took him as his new padawan.  It's possible the lightsaber was taken away from him when he was sent to the corps.  I haven't read the books to know for sure if there is an explanation given for it or not,  I just thought it was very nice looking design,  and one that should be produced.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:16:25 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »
...and a very good suggestion it was.  I get at least 3-4 requests per year to make this saber.  I always say I can, but am too busy.  This is the perfect opportunity for folks to get one.

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »
Well this is epic GG

so count me in for 1 of each in either CS or stunt form please and 2 x the Jango blasters

Awesome news for the forum love the sabers you have picked

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »
I believe there is actually a story behind that,  but I can't remember where I read it.

Maybe you're thinking of this?: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Lightsaber

But that was Anakin/Lukes graflex, not Obi Wan's. That saber eventually was given to Mara Jade, which she sometimes used alongside her own. Obi's original was lost in TPM, and the second was taken on Geonosis (I like to think that LDM, er I mean, Grievous took it, but that's not Lore-supported).

Offline Rion Ozryel

• 50% Ri, 50% On
  • Experienced Force User
  • Evil is just a point of view
    • The Galactic Sweatshop
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »
Lovin' all these. Looking forward to the runs.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:05:24 AM by Rion Ozryel »

“We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.”

Offline ScrimpyPIE

• Experienced Force User
  • Guardian's Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Holy freaking mind readers, Batman!!!!!!!! I was just about to start a thread asking about an Obi padawan hilt! Lol, guess I won't have to. ;) I'm in for one! Don't care how long I gotta wait for it or how my times I gotta check in to secure a spot, I'm in all the way, General. ;D ;D ;D

P.S.- Apologies for the over-eagerness, that hilts been one of my favs since I got the book (about 4months after it came out!)
"Use the fork, Luke!"

"Are they friendly?" - Obi-wan Kenobi
"Depends... On how good your manners are;
and how big your  'pocket-book' is. - Dexter Jettster

Lightsaber collection-
US Raven
Mhs-based Luke RoTJ
Rebellion KotOR run x2
(Original: violet)
(Second-hand: sky blue)
OM/LDM Lego saber run
LDM Custom "Quobi"
GenesisCustom Ascend CF6 run
GenesisCustom Badaxx "Browncoat"
Personal saber "Illum" by Simpi-gon Sims
"Primum V2" by Darthvix/LDM

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »

That said, I kind of hate that the saber exists. Lore-wise, his padawan hilt was his TPM hilt. He was still a padawan in TPM. The book cover was just...well a lazy artist. And this is a recurring theme with the book covers, and why almost every NJO jedi has the same basic saber (basically a luke hero with tiny tweaks) - lazy artists.

By comparison, the continuity of the comic book artists is really quite good, albeit a few lapses here and there. As a saber fan it just bugs me how the cover designers are often the only source we have to go on for certain characters, and so often they're terrible, inconsistent, or disagree entirely with established canon.

Yes a lot of the book cover artists do seem to be 'lazy' and just rip off familiar designs or picture characters with their hands covering most details of the sabers so it is hard to know what the sabers really look like...but the artist for that particular cover did a better than usual job and that Obi-Wan First Padawan saber has always struck me as at least having a little originality and practicality to it - its ergonomics arent bad at all, it makes sense as an Ataru hilt, and it has elements that we can see might evolve in his later designs.

Very nice to see this 'glimpse of future'...Thanks General
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:12:48 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline fragrax

• Force User
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »
I don't usually consider buying completed sabers (because making them is half the fun  ;)), but for the Katarn I would definitely make an exception. Me likey!  :o

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. - Cave Johnson

retrousse