fiduciary

Author Topic: FoC™ (Flash on Clash™) test thread  (Read 32341 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: FoC™ (Flash on Clash™) test thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
just did the side by side comparison video.  my ani saber died right at the end.   8)  FoC™ comparison wasn not affected by the low battery though.  10 minutes long, so gonna take some time to upload.  Gonna charge both sabers tonight and do some more tests in the morning.  The saber went from 5 bars to dead in a matter of minutes.  I need to adjust my PLI scale apparently. 

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
I'd love to know how much longer is required to work on same-colour FoC [tm] since when it arrives my first CF will be going in my first red [RRRR] saber.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
I'd love to know how much longer is required to work on same-colour FoC [tm] since when it arrives my first CF will be going in my first red [RRRR] saber.

Huh? What do you mean? FoC is FoC whether is is the same color or a different color.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 06:28:29 AM »
He means that for same color FoC™ to be noticeable, it has to be longer than different color FoC™.  He is also 100% correct.  I can't really say how much longer it has to be since I removed that LED from my saber and honestly, it's more trouble than it is worth to put it back in.  For same color to work though, I would assume you should make it about 150-200 ms (focd at 75-100) and make it static as well as turn off blade shimmer on clash.  That would give it the most room to be noticeable. 

If I had another bladeholder to use, I could setup a tester board (I have a cf5.6 on my desk ATM) and would be more than happy to test any setup, but I don't really want to buy another bladeholder and an RGBW, RGBA, and RGGB just to test different setups with.  I also have a BBBB in my parts bin that I could do single color tests with. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:33:49 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »
Double post for new video.  Here is the side by side comparison of varying durations.  Added to original post as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTxVkE7hCE&feature=channel_video_title

I get mixed up toward the beginning.  The left saber has settings of 10, 30, 50, 70, 90, 110.  The right saber has settings of 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120.  Each time I move up a font, the setting goes up.  it should be easier for you guys to follow going by this instead of what I say in the video. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:00:00 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Darth Malgus

• Formerly known as Darth Marik
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 09:34:22 AM »
Double post for new video.  Here is the side by side comparison of varying durations.  Added to original post as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTxVkE7hCE&feature=channel_video_title

I get mixed up toward the beginning.  The left saber has settings of 10, 30, 50, 70, 90, 110.  The right saber has settings of 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120.  Each time I move up a font, the setting goes up.  it should be easier for you guys to follow going by this instead of what I say in the video. 
that's flippen sweet lol 

" A good leader leads by example, but if that fails, brute violence is just as good!" OverLord II

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
I tried to make another video to better represent the purple with white FoC (tm).
This time I put a fresh charge on the batteries, because I noticed a fresh charge can make a pretty big difference in your FoC (tm).
Also tried a different viewing angle.
This time parameter (focd) = 80 instead of 65
shows up a little better this time.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy251/darthsmorgis/videos/?action=view&current=Video11-2.mp4

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
Good stuff, Alex G.!

Yeah, some years ago, I'd talked to folks about the whole FoC thing and what might be construed as "the most accurate" while also considering what our eyes "enjoy best", etc.

In general, the most screen accurate is a yellow-ish orange flash (makes sense)... whereas if we're trying to get the most out of the LED, it's always nice if we can get the most bright white light.

Additionally, it really makes an "impact" on our eyes when colors CHANGE from one color to another... vs. just go from green to "greener".  :)

THAT said... I often found it ridiculous that a purple saber would briefly turn orange or whatever... or a green saber turning orange and so forth... but at the SAME TIME... seeing something that was GREEN go to "white with around 25% of green" was bloody awesome (in my opinion).

Ultimately, I think it's up to the end-user to do what they enjoy best... but... it does seem clear that the following make the most sense:

* Any color (for normal blade)... yellow-ish orange flash -- very brief, but "viewable" flash time/duration
* If blue color (for normal blade)... white-ish flash with blue overtones -- very brief, but "viewable" flash time/duration
* If green color (for normal blade)... white-ish flash with green overtones -- very brief, but "viewable" flash time/duration
* If red color (for normal blade)... white-ish flash with red overtones -- very brief, but "viewable" flash time/duration
* etc.

The latter "white" flashes can be tough to do with LEDEngins at the present time... but... the future is likely to yield some variations in LEDs that will be really cool for FoC(tm!!!) setups.

And yes... Erv, Edwin & myself were the original folks who FOLLOWED THROUGH on seeing the "flash on clash" idea in sabers.  I was pushing the idea all day long in 2007... Edwin (Eandori) did the proof of concept... Erv provided the hardware to see it happen in a real-time + executable way... and all three of us discussed it, almost ad-infinitum all throughout the process.

Here are some vids I did regarding FoC back in the day:

In general, I preferred a longer FoC duration for these... but... that was because of video cameras not being HD!  :)  These days... I think the cams can pick up much more subtle changes!  :)

Anyhow... great stuff, Alex G.!  Keep up the testing--it's always worth helping others to discover what is cool in the LED saber COMMUNITY.
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
thanks for posting novastar!  I was a bit shocked that no one had been doing something similar to this recently, so I figured if I wanted a better looking flash, I had to do it myself.  Then I figured I might as well share it with everyone rather than be a hermit and keep all of the fun for myself. 

My blue saber FoC™ is actually so bright that at no point during the flash do you see blue.  It is pure white.  and blindingly so.  People in the room that are looking at the blade often flinch when it flashes.   8)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »

My blue saber FoC™ is  It is pure white.  and blindingly so.  People in the room that are looking at the blade often flinch when it flashes.   8)

N-I-C-E  ;D

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »
I just finished installing a new PVC chassis into my MHS saber, so I will continue doing the tests as planned now.  haven't gotten much sleep in the past few nights though.  Hoping to catch up on some tonight.  If I'm not feeling up to it, I'll resume the tests in the morning. 

Offline Kaplan

• Force User
  • Dr. Jones, we meet again... at last.
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
I hope I don't derail this thread, but does a CF disable FoC (all other features remaining active) when battery power reaches a low level?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:16:58 PM by Kaplan »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
No, but using FoC™ for a long time on low battery will trip your protection PCB and you will have to plug in the saber for it to work again.  You can manually disable FoC™ in a certain font for when your battery is getting low, and then just switch to that font. 

Offline Kaplan

• Force User
  • Dr. Jones, we meet again... at last.
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
No, but using FoC™ for a long time on low battery will trip your protection PCB and you will have to plug in the saber for it to work again.  You can manually disable FoC™ in a certain font for when your battery is getting low, and then just switch to that font. 
Hmmm... I may have blown out the FoC dies within 15 minutes of getting my new saber in the mail.   ???  FoC stopped working out of the blue, but everything else on the saber worked for a while until the whole thing died.  I have it plugged into the wall hoping that when it's charged up, everything will work again.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
who made it?  you mean your MKVI v2?  I'd wait for the batteries to be charged, but keep in mind, you might only get 15-20 minutes of runtime with batteries like that.  That's the reason I put 18500s in mine.  Of course, yours sounds probably 3 times better with your speaker setup which is impossible with my battery solution. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:37:38 PM by Alex Gordon »

retrousse