fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)  (Read 33779 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Hello there Everyone

I thought I'd open up a Help thread for questions on the Kits some may have that go beyond or need additional
information to the Manual. 8)

To start this off...
One of the Graflex Kit customers (EgonMcGregor) pointed out I switched 2 of the screw sizes in the kits
and I wanted to preemptively cover this for all kit builders so they will also know not to worry as this is a
simple error and has no effect on completing the kit.

I simply wound up including 4 of the 3/16 0-80 screws and 2 of the 1/4 0-80 screws and it should be the other way around
But Not to worry this is a simple error and has no effect on completing the kit and I'll explain why and show everyone so
that it will make sense.

Follow along with me and you will see.

On Page 5 (step4) you use the 3/16 as shown at the edge of the plate.
On Page 6 (step9) you use the 1/4 as shown for the bottom crystal loops and plate attachment.

Then on Page 12 (steps 4-6) is where the (discrepancy) difference is screws sizes is.
Both the 3/16 or 1/4 size work in this spot so that is where you will simply use the other two 3/16 ;)

The reason this happened is because I actually use the 3/16 my self in this spot because they are shorter and don't
protrude in a place where, when I install a CF with a large crystal I have only .5mm of tolerance so I need the shorter screw.

The DIY kit has plenty of room so I spec the 1/4 screws in this spot on the kit as their added length makes then easier to install but...
obviously when I bagged the kits I was thinking of the 2 shorter screws I my self use so, hence why just those 2 screws are shorter.

I'll make sure to watch for that next time so the 3/16 and 1/4 are of correct quantity...
and not have what "I" use in my head when bagging the kits
:D

Once again... Not to worry this is a simple error of only 2 screws and their sizes.
It has no effect on completing the kit if you simply follow my explanation above to use the right size in the right place and you'll be good to go. ;)
Everything else is still correct in the Manual 8)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

P.S. thank you Egon for calling that to my attention :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:33:54 PM by Yoda »

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
Re: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
Master Yoda,

Where can you get heavy duty hobby scissors? I went to every place I could think of to try and get something like what you have in the manual, and everything I found was either too big or wouldn't cut metal. Also, where can you get the cyanoacrylate that you recommend. I found some, but I don't think it's the foam safe kind. Again, I went everywhere from Home Depot to craft stores and that was all I could find.

I was too excited and wanted immediate gratification,I didn't want to wait for an internet order ;D Obviously I could have googled it ::)   

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:44:48 AM »
Master Yoda, I started to assemble my kit but the LED that is really small mounted underneath the circular crystal is not working. Do you know what they are called and where to buy some? Thank you very much!!

Edit: So it might be a 3528 smd led but what color is it? Anyone?

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »
I'm about 95% sure it's blue. One of the first steps is to mount that thing in the chassis, so it was under the crystal long before I lit it up. But, the other LED is definitely blue, and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the color of either crystal when lit. ;)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
Master Yoda,

Where can you get heavy duty hobby scissors? I went to every place I could think of to try and get something like what you have in the manual, and everything I found was either too big or wouldn't cut metal. Also, where can you get the cyanoacrylate that you recommend. I found some, but I don't think it's the foam safe kind. Again, I went everywhere from Home Depot to craft stores and that was all I could find.

I was too excited and wanted immediate gratification,I didn't want to wait for an internet order ;D Obviously I could have googled it ::)  

Sorry for the late replies gentlemen.
Evan here is a link that will help you with the scissors etc... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYNM9&P=ML

Master Yoda, I started to assemble my kit but the LED that is really small mounted underneath the circular crystal is not working. Do you know what they are called and where to buy some? Thank you very much!!

Edit: So it might be a 3528 smd led but what color is it? Anyone?

All the LEDs were pre tested so double check it with the resistor attached. With out the resistor it could get blown.
You are in the USA so you can either get one from mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harvatek-International/HT-T169NB-5538/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtEjy7lsqBi5frSWcmgWE2ScSUgEREQm7E%3d
Or I can simply send you another one ;)

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Master Yoda thank you sir for the replacement LED for the DIY kit ;D. You didnt have to but did anyway so thank you!! Master Yoda, Is it possible for the next DIY run to also include the Graflex shop bladeholders? The reason is I am waiting for almost a month for them to deliver and my project is now on hold :(. Im saying maybe charging an extra 50$ to the kit so that it can include the Graflex shop's illusive blade holders. Last is the TCSS Graflex blade holder really doesnt work with the kit so your basically stuck with the Graflex shop's product....... the problem is their customer service. It just kinda sucks how your awesome product is basically intertwined with their crappy service. Not your fault but if you have it there with the kit or maybe have an option to buy it from you that would be cool. Anyways thank you again and I found the DIY kit easy to do except for the speaker mount part( on the bottom) where you have to line up the holes. Also the smallest allen key you provided tended to strip those little screws for the speaker mount holder. I am trying to give criticism so I hope I dont get a saber through my gut for my comments lol.

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
Master Yoda thank you sir for the replacement LED for the DIY kit ;D. You didnt have to but did anyway so thank you!! Master Yoda, Is it possible for the next DIY run to also include the Graflex shop bladeholders? The reason is I am waiting for almost a month for them to deliver and my project is now on hold :(. Im saying maybe charging an extra 50$ to the kit so that it can include the Graflex shop's illusive blade holders. Last is the TCSS Graflex blade holder really doesnt work with the kit so your basically stuck with the Graflex shop's product....... the problem is their customer service. It just kinda sucks how your awesome product is basically intertwined with their crappy service. Not your fault but if you have it there with the kit or maybe have an option to buy it from you that would be cool. Anyways thank you again and I found the DIY kit easy to do except for the speaker mount part( on the bottom) where you have to line up the holes. Also the smallest allen key you provided tended to strip those little screws for the speaker mount holder. I am trying to give criticism so I hope I dont get a saber through my gut for my comments lol.

No problem :) and thank you for both the great compliments and the concerns about the allen wrenches and adapters. ;)

I will offering kits in the future with adapters and with out.

For the overall I think my findings said many people had adapters already that inquired but then those who bought
still actually needed them so as I can afford to do so I will start to include them or make them an option 8)

Like any Kit from say an RC car manufacturer those wrenches do have limitations but I have a trick that can help you :D
Take a dremel and hit the tip of the wrench to make a fresh squared surface and you'll get better bit in the screw head.

Alternatively I have noted use of drivers with a handle like a screwdriver though more cost it will serve you in the long run
if you have tools for making things
;)

MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:14:42 PM by Yoda »

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »
Alternatively I have noted use of drivers with a handle like a screwdriver though more cost it will serve you in the long run
if you have tools for making things ......

Mostly definitely use a changeable bit screwdriver, you can keep even pressure while cutting the threads into the ABS so easy.
I'd love to see a more Cyan/Artic blue for the LEDs in the chamber if possible?
it's all Elemental

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »
if you have tools for making things ......

Mostly definitely use a changeable bit screwdriver, you can keep even pressure while cutting the threads into the ABS so easy.
I'd love to see a more Cyan/Artic blue for the LEDs in the chamber if possible?

me too and with clear crystals  :)

Offline Evan Zal

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Yeah, one thing I wouldn't mind tweaking is the color of the chamber, one way or another. The chamber doesn't match the cyan main LED. Maybe I should have done an ESB version ::) I'm not real happy with the amount of glue I used on my crystal anyway, so I would be into a crystal upgrade at some point.

Just as a side note, I received my Graflex Shop blade adapter in under two weeks. I don't know the guy's deal, but I feel bad that he gets so much negativity. This is the second blade adapter I have bought from him. The first time took a little longer, but he told me he was waiting for a shipment. He was actually pretty good with communication, and his product is the best you can get :) 

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »
Yeah, one thing I wouldn't mind tweaking is the color of the chamber, one way or another. The chamber doesn't match the cyan main LED. Maybe I should have done an ESB version ::) I'm not real happy with the amount of glue I used on my crystal anyway, so I would be into a crystal upgrade at some point.

Just as a side note, I received my Graflex Shop blade adapter in under two weeks. I don't know the guy's deal, but I feel bad that he gets so much negativity. This is the second blade adapter I have bought from him. The first time took a little longer, but he told me he was waiting for a shipment. He was actually pretty good with communication, and his product is the best you can get :) 

I will have optional Clear Crystals and kits with white LEDs as well so you can use filters to change the color to cyan or what ever you would like 8)

Offline Diego86

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
Yoda, have 1/2 PM..
Thank you.

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:17:42 AM »
Hey there All

I am having a Problem that im really hopping you can help with :)

I have my Yoda Diy kit that im building but i have now purchased 2 sets of 3.7v lithium batteries (aa Size)

As per what it says it takes now one battery will go in with some effort but to get a second one in is not easy i have to use way to much force to get it in it feels like the battery holder is about to snap and getting them out OMG thats bad.

So i decided it take one of the batteries apart the problem is the round PCB board that is on the negative end of the battery it makes it to big.

Now i have gone every place  locally and they all seem the same i have purchase 2 sets TCSS and Ebay both will not fit

What do you think i can do to solve this issue  (Batery,Charger what ever i need)

Thanks All im really stuck on this

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:21:26 AM »
You can't use batteriez without a protection cell.  They will overdischarge in your saber. 

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
I know Alex thats why im lost as AA protected batteries dont fit.

any ideas on what batteries i might use

retrousse