fiduciary

Author Topic: Economy Hasbro Board; Rewire Tutorial  (Read 15045 times)

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Economy Hasbro Board; Rewire Tutorial
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Hey all,

Just the other day I was rewiring a economy board for a customer, and decided to take  a few pics on how I did it.

Rewiring a board basically means in this case removing all components of a board and replacing them with better components and wires that won't break as easily. I do this with all my sound installs. It usually takes me 20-30 minutes. I use 26 gauge wire, like the stuff sold in the TCSS store.

So, let's begin.
The first thing to do it to get a board. I will be using the 2010 Obiwan board with DVD. Other boards can be treated similarly though.

After the board is removed from the hilt, I like to start with the clash sensor. The Hasbro clash sensor isn't as good as the TCSS sensor, nor the hasbro swing sensor as good as the TCSS swing sensor... So get two of each. (in case one is broken in the process of installing it.)

Now, if the board is flipped over, we can see two traces that hold the clash sensor. We will want to remove all the old solder so the old clash sensor falls out.

Grab your solder iron, and some solder braid (great stuff!) and suck up all the old solder...

If your iron is the right temperature, the solder should be absorbed right into the braid. Leaving you two empty traces.

Now, just slip the new clash sensor into the holes and viola, much better clash sensitivity!

Next we will go the the PNP transistor setup. I like to mount it on the board because There is less chance of it becoming damaged...
SO, first, remove all the LED wires with the solder braid.

Now take some needlenose pliers and the transistor and bend the leg and insert the leg into the LED - as shown...

Flip the board over, and solder all the LED negative traces together. This step isn't necessary, but I like to do it just for good measure.

and solder the traces together.

Now, take the other leg, and bend it the direction of the Batt +. Add a wire like so;

Don't forget to add heatshrink!

The next part is my favorite. Proceed to remove ALL wires on the board, it will wind up looking like this. :D

It is easy to see where everythin goes back in place now. So, it is a simple matter of replacing the wires with the colors of your choice.

This is what the swing sensor looks like when added to the board.

That's it guys, hope you found this little tutorial useful! 8)

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
    • Some of the sabers I've built:
Re: Economy Hasbro Board; Rewire Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »
Nice tutorial!
That stock swing sensor drives me nuts. I had a customer complain about a rattling noise in his saber.  I completely stripped the saber down only to find out that it was the stock swing sensor making the noise! >:(
Don't let my post count fool you. I've built more sabers than that count #.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
EXCELLENT,im working with this board and this info will help with my own install, thanks for posting.

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Not bad at all.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline rjgura

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
Nice tutorial!

Offline Shiky

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
perhaps someone can help me out a bit. I followed this tutorial to add the swing and clash sensors from TCSS, and before hooking everything back up and into my hilt i tested it out. Once the swing sensor is tripped, the power cuts out. How is it supposed to be wired? My understanding is that it is a switch and has no polarity, so as long as one end is connected to one terminal, and the other to the other, it should work, however it doesnt.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »
Pics of your wiring will help us more than anything. :)

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Shiky

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Swing sensor:

Clash Sensor:

Back:

NEVERMIND! got it. had to flip the swing sensor around. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:30:06 PM by Shiky »

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
OK, it looks like your clash sensor is wired correctly. and everything is very clean too. Good job. :)

A few things that make a board just switch off and don't know if you have checked...

1. Fresh batteries? I have done this numerous times and used old ones, then, when the board doesn't work it turns out I just needed a full charge.

2. Triple checked your wiring? Are you 100% without a bloomin' doubt sure everything is securely soldered and in the correct place?

3. any wires loose? traces touching each other? wires strands brushing against each other? It doesn't seem so in your pics, but this is a common problem.

We will go from there and see if we can't get the problem fixed.  8)

Offline Shiky

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
i had not heatshrunk the connection between the board positive, battery positive, and PNP transistor, and thats what was shorting out. i bought the wrong heatshrink from TCSS. Its too wide, so it doesn't shrink enough. Now i just need to wire up the connections for the AV switch i bought, and ream the switch hole on my hilt. Its all going back inside my US Consular. Thanks for the help Sollus!

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »
hey, don't forget you can wire in a switch to the clash and its a sort of blade lock come blaster block. :)

Offline Shiky

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
haha that would be cool, but i'm not much of an AUX switch guy.

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »
Great tutorial! Ill have to try some on these tips when I get my hands on some old Hasbro sabers

Offline boshuda21

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
I don't like bumping old threads, but I've been trying to get an answer to this question and have not had luck. Perhaps this is a good place to ask and have the answer archived.

Is the clash sensor bi-directional or do I need to wire the 'thick' wire and 'thin' wire to specific terminals? e.g. an Ultimate FX sabre soundboard has terminals labeled 'A' and 'B' which connect the clash sensor. Does it matter which way the sensor is wired or will it work either way?

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »
I don't like bumping old threads, but I've been trying to get an answer to this question and have not had luck. Perhaps this is a good place to ask and have the answer archived.

Is the clash sensor bi-directional or do I need to wire the 'thick' wire and 'thin' wire to specific terminals? e.g. an Ultimate FX sabre soundboard has terminals labeled 'A' and 'B' which connect the clash sensor. Does it matter which way the sensor is wired or will it work either way?

On economy Hasbro boards, the clash sensor is just a simple mechanical switch, so polarity doesn't matter.

retrousse