fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex Project AKA "The Pain!"  (Read 9535 times)

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
  • Official FX-SABERS GRAFLEX ARMORY Guardian
Graflex Project AKA "The Pain!"
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:47:14 AM »
Where to begin?  ;D. A while back I built my personal ESB Vintage Graflex. I used a blue Lux V with a Corbins board and a MR Vader Sound Board.(I like the idle hum better). It was powered by a single 9V battery. The power-up sequence and run time was perfect. The problem with this system is the power-down sequence. The Lux would power-down THEN then the MR board would initiate the retract effect.(in other words the saber had no lights during sound off). Bummer. I had tried rewiring the system in multiple ways but nothing. SO....it sat in my case for a year.

I wanted to give my vintage Graflex to a family member who has an undying love for the original trilogies. I wanted to also do something really special. Recently I had aquired a Crystal Chamber Chassis DIY kit from YODA.  But before I go on I must say (and I'm pretty sure all of you know this) that the skill Yoda has is phenominal. The crafsmanship is far beyond superb. It really amazes me how a person can be so meticulous when creating. could it be his midichlorian level? (oh I forgot....It's YODA! and his level is 17,700!!) Anyway... The detail is perfect in every sense. Just holding on of these chassis in my hand is an honor to say the least. I would definately urge whoever to pick one up. You will NOT regret the purchase!!

Anyway, I decided to revisit the build from a year ago. I still haven't been able to get a hold of a CF board or an US board so I decided to rework the original idea. How to cram all of that into a very nice Crystal Chassis? I didn't know. So I tried. No dice. I figured the best way was to split up the systems into two individual ones. But the power.... WAIT! 2 Trustfire batteries! One single cell has 3.7V & 900ma. Perfect for powering up 1 system. So the work begins.....

The chassis comes with 2 cell battery box. I cut the lower positive & negative lead and isolated the box into two indiviual power cells. I routed the wire through the inside of the box as opposed to the outside allowing more room and isolation of wires. Besides. I have something else planned for the space above the box. Done. Then I mounted a stock MR speaker in the bottom but before I routed the wires I used some round aluminum tubing and put it through the main wire holes coming from the speaker chamber to the crystal chamber. Now I have protected wiring and a third aluminum rod accent.   

That was the easy part..

Next I wanted to make some greeblie leds to go into the crystal chamber. I constructed an led pack and fitted them into the chamber. I used green rectangular leds because they have a long head on them. After installing, I custom shaped them with my dremel to mach the radius of the chassis. Awesome. Everything is starting to take shape! I must commend Yoda as he as thought ef everything designing this chassis. Plenty of room to fit wires through the holes as well as all of the right holes in all of the right spots! Anyway, I routed the wires to the board chamber. I wanted to try and fit 4 greeblies in the chamber but there wasn't room. I still needed to get my fingers in there to turn the crystal on. Wouldnt want to defeit the purpose!!!

Now the hardest part was fitting the board into the board chamber. This took HOURS. Literally. I tried to fit them both in at the same time. Nope. I tried one at a time. No way. So then I grabbed my dremel (What!!! DREMEL + YODA'S CHASSIS = SACRILEGE!!!!) Believe me when I say I stared at my dremel for at least an hour. I actually considered trashing the idea of a dual system. I mean anyone would be happy with a stock MR board running a Lux III installed into one of Yoda's Chassis. BUT this project was for a family member and I wanted it to be one-of-a-kind. Really special. So I grabbed my dremel and went at it. delicately. Yoda would be proud. The boards fit perfectly. Tight but perfectly.
As you can see from the photos below just how cramped everything is. I know..... Why not just purchase a CF 4.0?? Well, They are hard to get and I have extra MR boards and well so on.... I think the project turned out great. I know the person receiving this would be proud. I am proud to have built it!

Here are some specs & pics. Enjoy -

• Green Luxeon III (By request)
• Corbins Board
• Momentary switches (by request)
• MR ROTS Anakin Board
• Dual 3.7V 900ma  power system   

Here is the initial dual system test. The completed saber acts identically with the exception of the removal of the 4th and red led due to space requirements.
http://www.youtube.com/v/6ENTtDkOvQ8&hl=en&fs=1

Here the inital idea. Excuse the mess  :D I actually had a red led ladder attached but burned out and through testing I eventually burned up the original Vader board. Sucks but I have another........He requested light sound anyway...so I put in a ROTJ.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0033a.jpg

Here is another before I recieved the Chassis.....This version had an ROTJ board in it which was WAAAYYY too big for the board chamber. I had to eventually remove this board and install a ROTS Anakin. Plus 4 green leds and an addition red one that lit up on the end of the ramp sequence... I had to remove the red and the 4th due do space restrictions as well.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0047a.jpg

Here are the independent micro switches. Both are controlled by a single red graflex button.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0035.jpg

Here the project is coming along. I am at the stage of board(s) installation.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0032b.jpg

greeblies!!!! or Greenblies  ;) ha!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0037b.jpg

Complete before Hilt install (momentary switches were installed by request by the way...)

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0041b.jpg

Final ESB Vintage Graflex.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/thefilthydead/DSC_0046b.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:11:41 AM by DarthMaximus »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: Graflex Project AKA "The Pain!"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »
All I can say is I am amazed you got it all in there AND it worked.  I would have told you that you would never be able to cram the driver and MR board in Yoda's already cramped chassis.  But you did it and you should be proud.  That is a huge accomplishment.

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:18:25 AM »
Thanks Luke. It really did take a little engineering. Oh and a WHOLE LOT of patience. I can most certainly tell you I will not be making another one like this. I will just try to find a CF and light the Greeblie leds that way.... I was fun tho......

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »
Yeah if you had come on asking for advice that would be what I would have told you.  Can't be done.   Buy a US or CF.  But of course that is my character.  "Always what cannot be done."  I guess "that is why I fail."  :D

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:41 AM »
Oh believe me. I told myself it couldnt be done.... I stared and stared and stared at the dremel in my hand. Besides, I think raising x-wing fighters out of swamps would have been easier than this........
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 07:39:02 AM by DarthMaximus »

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »
Wow! As someone who had to stare, think, test, fit and cram to get my US 2.0 into my Yoda chassis, I am most certainly impressed! I don't think I could have taken it as far as you did! That's impressive, and now you're going to give it away.  :o  I hope they appreciate what they're getting. Nice job!

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »
Thanks Anceem!  I have been promising my older brother a saber for quite some time. I didnt want to give him a MR/Hasbro  setup, I kinda wanted it to be special. Almost a passing of the torch. He will take very good care of it. And a promise is a promise.... Otherwise, I would never sell it or give it to anyone else. Especially after all of that mess. Besides... I have something coming WAAYY better to take its place  ;).......

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niño que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Hi Darth!!!
Really you have done a very good work, very inspiring!!! ;) :D
if you can post more images it would be very good!! ;D
Congratulations. ;D
Gaby!

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
I was *just* looking at my chassis and marveling how tight the board space is...your cramming skills are impressive!
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:28 PM »
Hi Darth!!!
Really you have done a very good work, very inspiring!!! ;) :D
if you can post more images it would be very good!! ;D
Congratulations. ;D
Gaby!

Thanks Gaby! I will post more pics soon.

I was *just* looking at my chassis and marveling how tight the board space is...your cramming skills are impressive!

Thanks Goodman! There is very limited space up there to work with. My brain nearly exploded trying to get it in!

Offline Lord Massia

• Force User
  • Xbox Live gamertag: TBD x BULL3T
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
I always loved the look of a graflex saber. 8) You really did accomplish something special in that masterpiece. Your brother better worship it after all that hard work you put into it!!! :D
Lightsaber collection:
1. The Serenity (aka Qui-Gon-Jinn's B.S. #8) Blue P4, US 2.1
2. MR Vader ANH Red lux III converted by Ultra Sabers
3. Ultra Sabers The Vagabond green lux III
4. Stock MR Luke ANH
5. Sink Tube saber Red lux III
6. MR Yoda
7. Ultra Sabers The Manticore red lux III

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:59 PM »
Thank you!  Actually I get to keep this saber for he wants a ROTJ. So suddenly I feel great that this can stay in my collection! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lord Massia

• Force User
  • Xbox Live gamertag: TBD x BULL3T
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »
Thank you!  Actually I get to keep this saber for he wants a ROTJ. So suddenly I feel great that this can stay in my collection! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thats good that you get to keep it but does that mean you have to start all over again? Well no harm done since it is always fun to make a saber! :) 
Lightsaber collection:
1. The Serenity (aka Qui-Gon-Jinn's B.S. #8) Blue P4, US 2.1
2. MR Vader ANH Red lux III converted by Ultra Sabers
3. Ultra Sabers The Vagabond green lux III
4. Stock MR Luke ANH
5. Sink Tube saber Red lux III
6. MR Yoda
7. Ultra Sabers The Manticore red lux III

Offline Maximillian

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 03:02:17 AM »
yeah start all over again with the ROTJ saber. He wants a V2. This one should be fun. Heck they are all fun to work on!! I may be selling the Graflex if the price is right.  If I do I will add it to the selling section of the forum. Not sure for how much though.  I just rebuilt this saber with added extras. I added a simple circuit RGB led in the crystal chamber that is controlled by a seperate momentary switch located at the battery pack area. Cool for choosing a crystal color to match your blade. But since the crystal chamber electrics are pretty simple there are some limitations. Also,  Herkimer quartz "diamond" with copper wire detail. system runs on 2 3.7 Li-Ion 750mAh rechargable batteries.
Have a Look-

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:10:41 AM by DarthMaximus »

Offline Master Dru-Er

• Experienced Force User
  • Trust your feelings
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
That is fantastic work.  I hope my Graflex build goes as well.  The additional crystal always makes these things pop.

retrousse